Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:30:56 PM EDT

Moved to Florida from out of state a little more than 2 months ago.  First week here I got my driver's license switched over to a FL one and tried to register my car.  But got informed that I had to show proof of FL insurance.

I won't go into detail, but needless to say, the insurance company has been jerking me around for two months.  Hasn't delivered certain pieces of paperwork they said they would.  And has outright lied to me on at least one occasion.  As a result, my car has apparantly been insured in two states for the past two months and I still can't get the car registered because I don't have a copy of the title yet (there's still a lien on it).

Now, the insurance company for the state I moved from is telling me that my car registration is not valid anymore because I have Florida insurance but another state's plates on the car.  Does anyone know how long a new Florida resident has to register their car before their old state plates become invalid?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:39:25 PM EDT
30 Days I believe
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2005 4:15:14 AM EDT by osprey21]
"within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency"

www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqmotor.html#2
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT

10 days????  Damn.  Nice of the tax-collector's office and the local insurance agency to not bother informing me of that fact.

Thanks for the information though.  I appreciate it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:06:41 AM EDT
I thought it was if you were in the state for more than 90 days, it must be registered in that state?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:45:02 AM EDT
depends on the co your in some are never reg, just leave the ny plate on and go.
Top Top