Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 3:31:17 PM EDT
I ETS out of the Army in ten months and will be using my GI bill to go to school. Since I am from Youngstown OH I have no desire to stay there. I am looking in to UC, NTU in Denton, Texas and A few other places in the West, South-West region. I was wonder about the traffic and cost of living. Looking at craigslist renting a room doesn't seem too bad as The BAH rate is $1500. but what about food, utilities , fuel and stuff like that. Would it be better to look to one of the smaller towns like Gunbarrel or Louisville and commute?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Think of Lafayette, Louisville, Superior, Gunbarrel as outlying suburbs of Boulder(though not actually true in the technical sense they are in terms of a commute into Boulder), Some parts more expensive than others.  I could not reasonably describe housing cost as I have not been in the market.  Depening on your willingness to drive The North west Side of Broomfield and Westminster wouldn't add too much onto that commute.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit just learned that the VA stop paying BAH for simester breaks and the summer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a senior at CU and it is a great school and a fun, but very liberal city. I like in superior for about 800 a month compared to living in boulder and paying upwards of 1000, and I  commute to boulder every day which takes about 15 min. You would love everything about boulder except their pov and getting parking tickets. Great restaurants everywhere in superior, Brookfield, Louisville and boulder, and you would be about 20 min from Denver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shit just learned that the VA stop paying BAH for simester breaks and the summer.

That's a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good thing.

Off topic: How is it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Boulder for years, went to CU... left just a few months ago actually.  I loved it, but I had plenty of like-minded friends to go shooting, yell at hippies, do stuff with.

It is super-lib, and I kinda got used to it.  At first it was tough to be around so many idiotic people, but I stopped letting myself get upset.  It's a beautiful city, close to the slopes, close to Denver, tons of great local breweries, good bar scene with lots of... scenery

88-93 and 75spill are right.  For a year I lived in Broomfield and did the commute to school - it was nice to go home outside Boulder, and be closer to Denver.  That would also be good if you don't want to be inundated with hippies and liberalism right off the bat.

In terms of food, fuel, utilities, Boulder compares very closely with surrounding areas.  The only things to consider about living outside Boulder and commuting vs inside Boulder are:
- Rent
- Commuting costs (time+money) [there are some good bus routes]
- Psychological cost of living inside the People's Republic of Boulder

So, depending on how many people you know inside Boulder, I would certainly recommend a bit of a commute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top