Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 6:06:08 PM EDT
How gun friendly is AL? I know they have a CPL but how about open carry? I think you also allow class III weapons but how are LEOs for signing off on them. How about places to shoot and most importantly how accepted are guns in general? Thanx AP
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Very gun friendly state. Only shortcoming is lack of SBRs and shotguns although AOWs are allowed. Class 3s are easy to get sign offs for.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, why no SBRs? That stinks...that was one of the things on my list. How about open carry?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh, why no SBRs? That stinks...that was one of the things on my list. How about open carry?

From what I've heard, it's partially the KKKs fault we can't have SBRs.  I guess it was a way to crack down on KKK members carrying sawed-offs back when they were prevalent.  I don't know how factual that is, but it's what I've been told.  There is a small movement to get it reversed.

Technically, open carry is legal, but not advised.  This isn't Arizona where people are used to seeing open carry all the time.  IMO, concealed carry is the smarter way to go anyway.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Very gun friendly but most people expect you to hunt with the firearms you own. A suppressed AR will almost always raise an eyebrow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've heard, it's partially the KKKs fault we can't have SBRs.  I guess it was a way to crack down on KKK members carrying sawed-offs back when they were prevalent.  I don't know how factual that is, but it's what I've been told.  There is a small movement to get it reversed.

Technically, open carry is legal, but not advised.  This isn't Arizona where people are used to seeing open carry all the time.  IMO, concealed carry is the smarter way to go anyway.

isnt yalls concealled permit cost only 25 and there is no waiting period on it either correct?  i know ours is 175 and a 3 month wait..if you let it lapse you have to wait 3 months all over...and on another note..since the ccw office in biloxi is destroyed you have to go to jackson to get it
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeff Co permit is $7.50 a year.  From my experiences, on a more personal level, very gun friendly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
isnt yalls concealled permit cost only 25 and there is no waiting period on it either correct?  i know ours is 175 and a 3 month wait..if you let it lapse you have to wait 3 months all over...and on another note..since the ccw office in biloxi is destroyed you have to go to jackson to get it

In Alabama, the sheriff of each county decides on the cost and procedure.  In Mobile county, it's $20 and takes about 10 minutes to get the first time.    After that, you renew by mail each year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Alabama, the sheriff of each county decides on the cost and procedure.  In Mobile county, it's $20 and takes about 10 minutes to get the first time.    After that, you renew by mail each year.

well atleast we can get sbr's and sbs's
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how many do you own?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how many do you own?

when i figure out what i want to sbr then i will have one in about 3 or 4 months
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how many do you own?

That's gonna leave a mark.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a SBS, an AOW in Bama. Got a bunch of 6-14" barrels too. M16
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#13]
CCW is $10 per year in Madison County (Huntsville and Madison).

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how many do you own?

That's gonna leave a mark.

Woody

or may just make me get off my ass and do the paperwork so i can make a suppressed 9mm sbr out of the lower i got for christmas

edited to add..mike wont be able to shoot it either
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]
alaBAMa
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At one time, Jack Tillman required you be 23 before you could get a permit.  Alabama's system of allowing sheriffs total discretion isn't really that great
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At one time, Jack Tillman required you be 23 before you could get a permit.  Alabama's system of allowing sheriffs total discretion isn't really that great

Yeah, but he lowered it to 21.  I think the requirement to be 23 was there before he came into office.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but he lowered it to 21.  I think the requirement to be 23 was there before he came into office.

Purvis may have invented it, but Tillman was the sheriff the two years I had to wait between ages 21 and 23.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Alabama is rated F by the Brady Bunch which says it all
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Alabama is rated F by the Brady Bunch which says it all

That came about when Gov. Siegelman got rid of the 3 day waiting period on gun purchases.  We've had a F rating ever since.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#21]
In Marshall County, your initial permit takes one day, after that it takes 10 minutes.  Cost is $10.00/yr.

As for open carry, I am starting to see it more and more here.  I have a friend who open carries just to see if anyone says anything, and so far no one has.  I guess they just assume he is LEO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top