Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 3:50:31 AM EDT
I'm posting this here, so as anyone that has already done it can tell me how it can be done with UK based products.

I have 4 20rd Colt mags I want to re-finish, and everyone I see has beautifully finished grey mags, no scratches and no marks.

However, seeing as the open market for Colt mags has dried up I can't see that everyone bought them from new, so how are you guy's re-finishing them?

I could just send them to Sid for anodising, as I think they are steel, but there must be a way to do it other than anodising is there? I like the grey colour and want to make them look nice again.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't anodise steel, only aluminium.
Steel needs to be parkerised/phosphated.

Those grey mags you keep seeing aren't refinished, they just wear that way with enough use.
The original coating is quite dark, but it's soft and wears off easily. With enough use, they will end up shiny grey.
If you do want to refinish them, then I suppose there are some paint finishes available.

Oh, BTW, where were you yesterday????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Mark
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to halfords.....
Buy paint you like the colour of....
Paint mags.....

Bake in oven,

Thats how i do my used HK mags :)

They all look new now,

James,  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Try AR15.com. Most of the stuff can be sourced or equivalents.

ETA. Georgia Precision may be able to send the PermaSilk stuff to you, but it might have to go via surface.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I meant parkerising, seeing as the only person I know who can do it is Sid, and I specifically mentioned steel, then I thought even though I made a mistake, it might have been obvious

I want to refinish them because they came from a huge box of assorted crap at the war and peace show, so I need new followers and springs as they are not perfect either.

Thanks for the link Matt.

Oh, and yesterday was only a flying visit due to my current no driving licence situation, the missus had to bring me along and funnily enough, she didn't fancy the idea of a day shooting so I've got to wait to get there next time when I can scrounge a lift of someone, I think Bob passes my house on his way down.....

Dave
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
If they're steel, then they ain't Colt

Mark
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
One's steel, the rest are proper USGI Alu Colt ones. I've actually just got em out the bag now, I bought them at war and peace and haven't really looked since.

They are all scratched to bits though, I need to get them sorted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
How much did you pay for them?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Not too much, but more than I would have paid If I'd have got newer ones imported from the states...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Question...I have not read the firearms laws post...are you guys restricted to 20rd. / less  AR magazines or is that mostly just what you are able to get there?

(I just seem to notice an inordinate number of then in your pics)

No, we just prefer them

30 rounders are too long and we find them unnecessary most of the time.
Doesn't mean we don't have them though.
A good supply of 20's is like the Holy Grail.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Question...I have not read the firearms laws post...are you guys restricted to 20rd. / less  AR magazines or is that mostly just what you are able to get there?

(I just seem to notice an inordinate number of then in your pics)

We don't have a limit on capacity - why someone here (no prizes for guessing who) has a 90rnd drum. 50 rnd mags for the 10/22 are common as well, but as streetfighter says, 20 rounders for the AR are just more convenient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top