Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2010 4:30:57 AM EDT
Brother in-law gave us his dad's old boat. It's a row boat with a 15hp Evinrude motor on it. It was his Dad's boat and it has been passed amongst the family and most recently was registered in MI.

We went register it yesterday but were told we need a title to register it. As this has been passed around the title has been lost.
Is there any way around having the title or do we need to do a title search on a boat from the 1970's?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
are there numbers on the boat?
like MO5555XZ
if there are
Jeff City may be able to help
There may be a plate on the transom w/a serial number.
I've got an old aluminum boat from the '60s.
I had a little trouble registering it, called down there, they were helpful
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait a minute.

Are you telling us you want to pay taxes on it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait a minute.

Are you telling us you want to pay taxes on it?

That's what we do as adults.
Plus with only 15hp I'm not going to be able to run away from anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
are there numbers on the boat?
like MO5555XZ
if there are
Jeff City may be able to help
There may be a plate on the transom w/a serial number.
I've got an old aluminum boat from the '60s.
I had a little trouble registering it, called down there, they were helpful

There's Michigan numbers on the boat. Registration on it in MI is good till 2011. Think we will just run with that registration but I would like to get it set up for MO.
We need to send the plate on the trailer back to our nephew in MI. Would you happen to remember who you called?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, ya need to know what MI title laws state. I know on motorcycles, If you by/receive W/O title, and the item is older than 25yrs, you can use a bill of sale from AR to get it registered. That just means you need to know someone in AR. MI, may be a bill of sale state as well.

You could also use ITS to do a title search, but that costs money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I also would love to put a motor on my Dad's old jon boat, but he has no idea where the title went (or even if he ever received one).  He and a buddy bought it new in the late 60's/early 70's.  He said he's not even sure that there were titles issued for Missouri boats at the time.  Anyone ever heard this before?  Or maybe when MO started issuing boat titles?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a  Lake of the Ozarks kid in the early '60s.
There were boats running around that were registered in the '50s maybe '40s

ETA we had an old P-14 (a brand of boat in those days)
weirdly enough I still remember the numbers,
MO3377JJ

I suppose a guy might be able to contact Michigan for a dupe title

I don't remember zackly who I called at Jeff City, but it was somebody at Dept of Revenue, a number I got from a state of MO website.

Weird thing with the old boat I recently bought, the problem was the serial number,  when I gave them the boat numbers the gent on the phone was able to tell me they had the serial # on file.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was a  Lake of the Ozarks kid in the early '60s.
There were boats running around that were registered in the '50s maybe '40s

ETA we had an old P-14 (a brand of boat in those days)
weirdly enough I still remember the numbers,
MO3377JJ

I suppose a guy might be able to contact Michigan for a dupe title

I don't remember zackly who I called at Jeff City, but it was somebody at Dept of Revenue, a number I got from a state of MO website.

Weird thing with the old boat I recently bought, the problem was the serial number,  when I gave them the boat numbers the gent on the phone was able to tell me they had the serial # on file.

If you could pass along the phone #, that would be great.

During your Lake of the Ozarks days, did you ever venture down around the Hwy. 54 bridge area, more specifically Lake Park Marina?

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I also would love to put a motor on my Dad's old jon boat, but he has no idea where the title went (or even if he ever received one).  He and a buddy bought it new in the late 60's/early 70's.  He said he's not even sure that there were titles issued for Missouri boats at the time.  Anyone ever heard this before?  Or maybe when MO started issuing boat titles?

According to the ???? at the DMV, Mo has issued titles on EVERYTHING since 1921, including "powersports".(Which, I bet wasn't even a word back then).
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Park the boat on my property and I would apply for an abandoned vehicle title.

Link to Mo DOR Titling Abandoned Property
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the ???? at the DMV, Mo has issued titles on EVERYTHING since 1921, including "powersports".(Which, I bet wasn't even a word back then).

Well, I imagine there was a title then and Dad probably never had possesion of it.  Sadly, his buddy, the boat's co-owner, passed away several years ago.  Do you think I'm just screwed or should I still try and contact the DMV/DOR?

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Park the boat on my property and I would apply for an abandoned vehicle title.

Link to Mo DOR Titling Abandoned Property

Thanks for the link!  Interesting...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
oops
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Several years ago I was told that on a handbuilt trailer, you could apply for a new title just by getting a form from the Liscense Bureau and then having any MO State Hwy Patrol look at it and do an inspection on it, fill out the paperwork and take it back in for the new title/liscense.  This may apply in your case, maybe not.  Another option would be to apply for a lost title at the Liscense Bureau but I have no idea what that involves.

ETA: You may already know this but you will need registrations for the boat, motor, and the trailer for most waters in the state.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the same problem with my motor.  My uncle left the boat, motor and trailer to me when he died but there is no title for the motor.  I've been using it for quite a while and no one has ever checked for a sticker...but it might happen one of these days.

I need to figure out how to see if there ever was a title for this motor, and where the heck to get one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Very simple solution. Call the dmv and ask to send you an abandoned property application. This works every time no matter the situation. Make sure you state that its abandoned property! !! Do not list the story about buying without title,or old grandpa left it to me. You will be asked how long its been abandoned on your property. Make sure you say its been A minimum of two years..Also,stick to your story and all will be fine. Been there and done that several times. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very simple solution. Call the dmv and ask to send you an abandoned property application. This works every time no matter the situation. Make sure you state that its abandoned property! !! Do not list the story about buying without title,or old grandpa left it to me. You will be asked how long its been abandoned on your property. Make sure you say its been A minimum of two years..Also,stick to your story and all will be fine. Been there and done that several times. Hope this helps.
Or you could have followed my link in the post I made above and download the form yourself...

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]
You techy guys always want to do shit the easy way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks. I have a camper that needs a title.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Michigan does not issue titles for outboard motors, a bill of sale for the motor should do, you might have to fill out some extra paperwork and an application for a title on the motor.  I had to do this a long time ago when I moved here from Michigan.  I believe the boat tags in Michigan are good for 4 years, you said they expire in 2011, do you have the registration papers? The registration papers should list the rightful owner of the boat, have them file for a replacement title and have them sign it over to you.  The trailer you might be able to tell them it is home built.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Nor sure if this help,s but I resently went to liscence office with bill of sale for a boat I just bought and even the original sales paperwork to have liscensed. They told me since I was not the original owner that he would have to pay penatalty fees for not titling the thing from the start. I asked how to get around this and was told if I never put a motor on it bigger than a trolling motor it didn`t have to be liscenced. It works for me, the boat is a camo hunting boat and I can use it in small lakes and ponds in my area that wont let a gas motor on anyway.  Hope this helps...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top