Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2006 4:35:16 PM EDT
I'll start this show with this one:
Picked a beautifully engraved Remington 700BDL in .338RUM and it had a Bushnell "Banner" scope mounted on cheap see-thru rings. I'm not sure which will crap out firstl the rings or the scope. Don't get me wrong, I like and own a few Bushnells, but one doesn't mount a $75 dollar scope on a large caliber magnum rifle.  

On another note: Where's the guy with the Lorcen in the drop leg holster.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'll start this show with this one:
Picked a beautifully engraved Remington 700BDL in .338RUM and it had a Bushnell "Banner" scope mounted on cheap see-thru rings. I'm not sure which will crap out firstl the rings or the scope. Don't get me wrong, I like and own a few Bushnells, but one doesn't mount a $75 dollar scope on a large caliber magnum rifle.  

On another note: Where's the guy with the Lorcen in the drop leg holster.  

Funny, I've seen a thread where some guy put on a NCStar scope on a K31 and it ran, and ran, and ran.  Also he wasn't the first.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll tell you one 180 degress off. I bought a Ithaca 66 12 gage 28" barrel (single shot)
with a Leupold VX-III 3x9 on it at a show last fall for $110. Was grandpa's deer gun.
Took the scope off and threw the gun away---------(sold it)

Free scope, gotta love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
At the range, a guy drives up and unloads everything onto bench.  He was there for way too long fiddeling with an SKS without shooting one shot.
I walked over to see why he was not shooting and he could not get the bolt back to load the mag.  I told him that I could get the bolt back, but I mught break the bolt handle, and he said go for it.  I took a big piece of steel and slammed in into the bolt handle and sure enough, the bolt flew back with a live round in the chamber rusted in place.  According to him, the round was in there for a few years!  
I still wonder if he ever put another round through the gun.  It is an SKS...

Bill H.
Note to self...When shooting steel cased ammo, do not leave a live round in the chamber for more than a year!  Ten months is ok, but not more than a year!
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was at a gun shop a few years back when a guy came in, he was in his mid 60's and wanted a new holster for his snubby. He put the empty snub nose on the counter and it must have had (no BS) at LEAST 6 rolls of electrical tape wrapped around the frame for grips.  Very odd to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Half the shit you guys put on your AR's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard chromed 1921AC Thompson.  I felt like crying when I saw it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]

What the most F'd up thing you've seen on a gun?

How about IN a gun?

Yeras ago while working in a gun shop, a guy brings in an O/U shotgun to trade-in.

I take it out of the case, break open the action and remove the forearm.

Out pop two LIVE COCKROACHES!

Scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]

it must have had (no BS) at LEAST 6 rolls of electrical tape wrapped around the frame for grips.

That's so after you commit a crime with it, you can peel off the tape and ditch your fingerprints.

44rd, is that a joke?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
img119.imageshack.us/img119/6186/alasad0264ct.jpg

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Over... Please explain in detail!

Bill H
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like night vison to me.  Am I right???
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill H

guys, relax.  just a couple of jarheads messing around, seeing how many different optics/NV they could hang off of a railed M16A4.  if you look close, you'll notice that the front two optics are not even attached to the rail -- they are both canted off centerline, laying on the cot.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen plenty of upside-down scopes at the range. Even one that was on backwards. Watched a guy shoot a box and a half of ammo while looking into the 45mm objective lens. I still can't figure out what was going through his mind while he was doing it. "Why would anyone use one of these things? Look how far away the targets are!"

Another favorite was watching a guy with probably $4k worth of custom heavy barrel bolt gun, and high dollar German optics, sit at the bench an de-link Korean war era machinegun ammo to shoot through this same rifle.

The most recent "Oh this aught to be good" was a man with a Yugo M48 Mauser, and a 3x12x40 BSA scope. Held on by ONE ring, which was clamped to the rear sight. I watched expecting it to fly off and hit him on the head.  It didn't because I had to stop him after the third shot. His rounds were hitting about 50 yards short off the targets.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill H

guys, relax.  just a couple of jarheads messing around, seeing how many different optics/NV they could hang off of a railed M16A4.  if you look close, you'll notice that the front two optics are not even attached to the rail -- they are both canted off centerline, laying on the cot.  

ar-jedi

correct. it was just a funny picture i saw and thought it belonged in this thread. sorry if anyone got too excited, lol.

although i have seen NV scopes "stacked" with other scopes in front. when someone wants to squeeze a bit more magnification out of their NV, but the 3 scopes thing was just a joke.

backwards scope???? maybe that's just for practice... if you use a backwards scope at 50 yds, is it like shooting at 500 yds? heheh.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
not too much in line with the intent of the post but related to some previous posts:

i see old guys with nice bolt action hunting rifle, sniper rifles like winchester 70's, rem 700, sako, and whatnot, large variations of optics and tons of custom calibers but the thing is they are always bench shooting to 100 yds. WTF! sight in sure but they are NEVER at the 200 or 300 yd line. i shoot a semi better than them with rem 700's and good optics in 300 win mag but they are shooting fish in a bucket with their guns. my 3x scoped semi 223 can shoot prone better groups with mil surp m855.

these guys are also typically range nazi's who make everyone work around thier shooting habits instead of common courtesy and asking people if its ok to go change a target when they are ready. instead its "im changing my target right now and if any one has a problem with that......." A$$ l - l ole !!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#16]
That works both ways... I see guys with hunting/"sniper" rifles that cost more than my car, that never shoot them farther than 50 yards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a guy try to load an M1 without the bandolier. Does that count? He was just dropping the rounds into the well and then trying to close it with his fingers.

He spent about 10 minutes doing this before I asked him if he needed help. He said no and 10 minutes later went home without firing a single shot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I saw a guy try to load an M1 without the bandolier. Does that count? He was just dropping the rounds into the well and then trying to close it with his fingers.

He spent about 10 minutes doing this before I asked him if he needed help. He said no and 10 minutes later went home without firing a single shot.

I'm confused... you mean the enblock clip?

I did once shoot a couple boxes of ammo through my buddy's colt tactical loading one at a time when we somehow made it to the range without any magazines for it.  What a pain in the ass that was.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I could see where trying to load a Garand without an en-bloc would be a frustrating pain in the arse.  
It's great to just go and sit at the range a month or so before hunting seasion just for yucks!  My friend who's a gunsmith HATES that same month...everybody brings in the stuff they FUBAR'd at the end of last hunting seasion and wants it fixed or zeroed by Friday.   Know what? It ain't happenin! Few years back I was supplimenting my income by zeroing rifles at a local range...you'd be amazed at the some of the stuff, and some of it was done at "Gunshops".  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Bandolier = En Bloc clip

No, he wasn't loading in the rounds one at a time, he was literally trying to load 8 rounds by just dropping/laying them down inside the clip well. Needless to say, the rifle won't function this way. I don't even think he tried putting one in the chamber.

BTW, the guy who told the story about the backwards scope wins. That's hilarious.

PS: He was wearing a USMC jacket...
But a lot of people wear USMC jackets/shirts who never served. I'm sure a real Marine would be infuriated with that particular situation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Got you all beat!  True story from one of my early deer hunting trips.

Met a guy while deer hunting in the Adirondacks who mounted a scope on his home sporterized 8mm Mauser.  He drilled holes through the barrel and attached the bases to the rifle with wood screws that passed completely through the barrel.

We tried to convince him that he should not under any circumstances shoot the rifle but he insisted that the barrel obstructing screws would "shoot out" with the first shot.

Thank God we left that campsite before he blew himself up!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you talking about? Wood screws are optimal for that application and everyone knows that they must go all the way through the barrel, at least initally. The extra holes act like a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#23]
ferald LOL!!!!

rotflmao

my dad and uncle told me that one of their neighbors from many many moons ago was trying to set off a shot gun shell in his hand with a nail. they obviously stopped him and he clearly isnt the sharpest spoon in the drawer. this always concerns me about live ammo and leaving it any where, while being inherently safe itself relatively there are some determined idiots out there.

love that mauser, i have to try that :)  :P
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#24]
My brother was at the range last weekend and there was a guy shooting a really nice Weatherby rifle in .300 Weatherby Magnum....then noticed the ammo the guy was using was .300 Winchester    Talk about fire forming brass.... the guy had no clue.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What the most F'd up thing you've seen on a gun?

How about IN a gun?

Yeras ago while working in a gun shop, a guy brings in an O/U shotgun to trade-in.

I take it out of the case, break open the action and remove the forearm.

Out pop two LIVE COCKROACHES!

Scared the crap out of me.

Got one on the same lines: We recieved two handguns that were shipped from a DEALER...one was a 1911 that was loaded, cocked & locked in a cardboard shipping box!  Man, was the owner pissed! He called and reamed the guys ass out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Sadly that's not that uncommon. I used to have a pic of about a dozen fired cases from the same thing. Wild looking afterwards. (can't find it) The scary thing is when you look in the brass bucket, you don
t find one or two, which you could excuse away. It's always a box or two of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top