Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 3:28:23 PM EDT
I picked up a Bushmaster 16" M4 Type rifle about 5 weeks ago from a local shop and wanted to see if anyone was willing to help a newb learn the ropes some weekend.  I bought the rifle because 1) I had disposable $ 2) I might not have the chance later on the way the gov't works these days and 3) mainly because I got my severely anti-2nd wife said "Sure, what the heck..."  So I did. (Probably helped that her mom is a card carrying member of the NRA and that the media did such a good job showing the looting after the hurricanes.)  Unfortunately, I really hadn't given much thought as to how I was going to go about learning about the rifle besides reading stuff on the Internet - and we all know about stuff on the Internet.  I was surprised that there aren't any basic rifle classes offered nearby, but I guess that's just TX for ya.  Everyone grew up with a rifle I guess.

So far I've spend time RTFM and acclimating myself to it's function and feel "ok" with it.  I've had a handgun back in the mid 90's and went in with a buddy on a beater SKS when I was single and used to go to Carter's and a little indoor range in Pasa-getdown-dinaso.  I don't consider myself gunshy, I'm just more concerned with what I might not know regarding good care and feeding, general range etiquette these days if there is any, etc.

Thanks, and great board!

Randall

PS Hope being part isn't a problem.  Sometimes it's difficult interpreting some of the references on the board.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to both the board, and the AR15!!  Where in the metro are you located?

A few of us will actually be out at ASC tomorrow 2/4 in the AM.  If you would like, just meet us at the 200 yard range and I, and I am sure the other folks, would be happy to go over the rifle, and its basic function with you.  

ASC = American Shooting Center - located in George Bush Park in west Houston.

Mark

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!

You'll feel at home after while, and yes....you'll become addicted to the AR.  (just a warning).

-Mark

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'll try and make it out.  I have to drop the wife off early, 8:30 am somewhere so I might be able to get out there.  It's a bit of a haul butt worth it I think.

What time were you all planning to be out there?

Randall
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We will probably be there from 8:00 until 2:00 or so.  We are going to be doing some load development tomorrow, and it takes a while.    

I will be shooting a Benchrest bolt gun, and my buddies will be shooting an AR and a Rem bolt gun.  You can just look for the guys that are loading right there at the range.  Again, we will be at the 200 yard line, so on the far right of the office where you check in and surrender your $8.

All of us have ARs and will be happy to help get you up to speed.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'llbe there with my new elmer fudd gun .338 win mag
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'llbe there with my new elmer fudd gun .338 win mag

Does this mean the muzzle is all expanded like a French Horn???  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]
No its for hunting wabbits!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
What a day it was!!!

Damn the elephant un is loud!!!(And stinky)

Anyone wanna know the informal result of 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel showdown that happened?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes...........I do.  How did they compare?  Thanks.
        Peace,
           Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Not much reciol- but it was loud.

The .338 WinMag has less recoil than my 30-06.  Shot 20 rounds- not a bruise
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes...........I do.  How did they compare?  Thanks.
        Peace,
           Dragonfire52

DEA just called, they said it was classified data and there fore sealed untill next week when we do it again at the same range.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not much reciol- but it was loud.

The .338 WinMag has less recoil than my 30-06.  Shot 20 rounds- not a bruise

It is so nice when one gets a bench right next to someone with a brake.    Glad to hear that it went well.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot the whole box- I couldn't beleive that the damned thing didn't kick at all.

Huge group at 20, but that wasn't the point.  All would have hit a deer's chest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Couldn't make it out on Sat. Walker.  Made it out to Carter's today (Sun.) for about an hour or two this afternoon.  Looks like I have a bunch to learn.  Bushy worked well - better than me anyway.  I have open sights only right now and ugh... Looked like I was using a shotgun.  The AR sure is a fun rifle, too.

Randall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top