Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/28/2004 7:01:14 PM EST
Can anybody suggest a gunsmith in Houston (or within about an hours drive) that is very capable of building an accurate varmint rifle or bench rest rifle.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:35:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 9:35:38 PM EST by CAM_PIN]
I would recommend Pete at Precision Barrel Work. He is located in Hempstead.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:14:50 PM EST
try Vandenburg customs, does great work and he's on the south side of Houston
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:49:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
try Vandenburg customs, does great work and he's on the south side of Houston

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:20:09 PM EST
Anybody heard of Cliff Rue? I heard he competes in bench rest competition, builds his own rifles, and is a stickler for accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:36:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By VaniB:
Anybody heard of Cliff Rue? I heard he competes in bench rest competition, builds his own rifles, and is a stickler for accuracy.

Yeah, I took him an action a few years ago. Took him a brand new reamer and a high dollar stock too. The chamber did not come out right and he refused to make good on his mistakes. I now have a 6.5 x 284 that ruins brass . It will sit in the safe until I can take it to Pete and get Another $300 barrel fitted and chambered.

Maybe Rue is good, but you sure cannot prove it by me. Pete took my gun apart , measured the chamber himself, and then would not defend the work. He wouldn't badmouth Clifton because that's not his style, but there is no doubt that the work was SHIT.

IM for more particulars if you'd like. I told Rue I would never recommend him to anyone .... Especially when there are quality people like Pete around.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:04:15 PM EST
Well, I suppose Cliff is very capable of producing a top accuracy gun. But, from what I'm hearing from you, he is also capable of having a bad day, screwing your gun up, and walking away. That scares me. Think I'll pass on him. I don't like playing $1,200 roulette!

I met Pete Pieper some years back at a gun show. He's a heck of a nice guy who makes you feel comfortable maybe doing business with. However, I was told back then that he was fairly new, and might not have the experience of a Cliff Rue.

But since then, Pete now would have another few years of experience under his belt. So I guess I need not be as concerned about that.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:22:39 PM EST
How about DALE HUTCHERSON of LaGrange? Anybody know him?

I met him at the AstroHall gun show years ago. He had a 221 fireball rifle and a 223 rifle sitting there on the table. One of these rifles had a gorgeous blue stock with a heavy stainless barrel that had spiral fluting cut out on it. He said it was a special request and he had a program on the floppy disk which cut the spiral pattern out of the barrel. Man did I like that!!( I was also a lot poorer back then.)

The only other guys I met and was impressed with were SGY in the Dallas area, and Mill Creek shooters who specialize in the 6MM Ackley, (which is exactly a caliber I wanted to have built) in San Antonio area. These last two guysare too far though( unless I hear they're really worth it.)

Anyway, I don't even know if these three guys are even in Business any longer or moved????

Top Top