Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 9:35:22 PM EDT
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(7/27/05 - HOUSTON) — You're not being targeted -- that's the message to immigrants from the Houston Police Department. Chief Hurtt is reiterating that their job is to protect and serve, not to find out about your legal status.

city council member recently suggested Houston police officers be given the authority to ask people about their legal status. Now the police chief is responding.

There are several reasons why the police chief refuses to change the way the department deals with immigration. They range from staffing to jurisdiction. But most importantly, it is policy that's worked for more than 25 years.
Even though they wait along busy streets, many day laborers don't want to appear on camera.. They worry someone will find out their immigration status. That fear is a huge obstacle police face when working with immigrant communities.

HPD Captain Bruce Williams explained, "If the citizen can come to us and know that we're going to take the information that they give us without looking into their status as an immigrant, then they're more free to come to us and talk about crime issues."

That's why for nearly the past 30 years HPD policy has advised officers not to ask citizens about their immigration status. But City Councilman Mark Ellis wants the policy changed.

"I am in favor of supporting what the Bush administration has asked local government entities to do, and that is to assist in enforcing the criminal illegal immigration laws," Ellis said.

Chief Hurtt said, "That is our policy. At this time we do not have any intention of changing it."

Regardless of a suspect's immigration status, police will continue to enforce the laws. If they think one's being broken, and in situations such as human smuggling or trafficking, they'll continue to call in federal agents. For Councilman Ellis, those steps don't go far enough.

He said, "That's kind of like they're selectively deciding which laws they're going to enforce. I think that's wrong."

But officers consider the policy a invaluable crime fighting tool. Chief Hurtt also says the department lacks the man power to begin enforcing the federal law.
(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

eta link  abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/072705_local_hpdimmigrant.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
And how much FEDERAL funding does HPD receive?  Hint, if the chief does not want to enforce the laws of the land, he does not deserve any help from the federal government.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Enforcing immigration law is one of the most politically incorrect LE jobs out there...   Hell, I'm an Immigration Agent, and I'm not even allowed to go round up the illegal day laborers standing on the corner!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
so they will enforce laws, except "illegal" immigration?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I just call that being lazy. Guess it is easier to sit on a bridge with a radar gun and let a dozen motorcycle cops write tickets all day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
But seriously folks...

What authority does local law enforcement have in enforcing a Federal Law?

Answer: NONE

That why you have good agencies, like those two in the northeast using laws such as criminal trespass to round them up.

Local LEO's can't do anything they aren't authorized by law to do...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

When you take an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, you just signed on to enforce local, state & federal Laws. You may need the assistance of a Federal LEO/ADA to book, process and the criminal, but you do not look the other way when you see a federal crime.

And it works the other way too. For example, if you are a USSS Agent, you cannot allow your principal to go around violating state laws.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

That why you have good agencies, like those two in the northeast using laws such as criminal trespass to round them up.

But the national speed limit was enforced from the feds by with holding highway funds, hence my federal funding question.  Remember when the drinking age was raised?  Done out of threats of highway funding from the feds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

But the national speed limit was enforced from the feds by with holding highway funds, hence my federal funding question.  Remember when the drinking age was raised?  Done out of threats of highway funding from the feds.

Very true
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Typical CRAP!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

Many state and local agencies are being trained to enforce federal law as Immigration Officers:  Alabama State Troopers, several Florida PDs, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office, etc...   They have the authority to determine alienage and removability, place immigration holds and at least some of them can place aliens in removal proceedings.

The fed is willing to train, but local agencies aren't willing to enforce immigration law...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

When you take an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, you just signed on to enforce local, state & federal Laws. You may need the assistance of a Federal LEO/ADA to book, process and the criminal, but you do not look the other way when you see a federal crime.

And it works the other way too. For example, if you are a USSS Agent, you cannot allow your principal to go around violating state laws.

+1!  Sorry nationwide i disagree with you on that.   Infact my own county peace officers have detained aliens for INS.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

+1!  Sorry nationwide i disagree with you on that.   Infact my own county peace officers have detained aliens for INS.  

But with the Harris County Detention Center at max capacity, I bet Tommy Thomas will tell his staff to look the other way.  This is the problem, not enough space in any of the major detention facilities for illegals.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
actually thats hpd's stance.  i was told that hcso likes to confirm on INS hits...alot.  or so they say...but who am i to know.  I;m just a lowly civilian dispatcher
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
 I;m just a lowly civilian dispatcher

and don't you forget it bucko
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

bah... both good points.  

In my thought process "enforcing the law" meant the whole shooting match from observing the offense to conviction...  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

But with the Harris County Detention Center at max capacity, I bet Tommy Thomas will tell his staff to look the other way.  This is the problem, not enough space in any of the major detention facilities for illegals.

Exactly.  THis is why I agree with HPD on the stance.  THere is not any infastructure to hold them and transport them if they went after them.  Then they just run back across our open borders.  That is a HUGE was of time and money that could be better spent on REAL crime.  Id rather murderers, rapists and robbers be put in the jail than some dumbass illegal looking for work on the street corner.

Now if they would build the WALL OF AMERICA and back it up with cameras and troops then I say send em all home and they will stay there.  As things are right now the federal govt is not allowing deportation to have any meaning what so ever.  I say choose the lesser evil and ignore them till the fed govt does something first.  Otherwise you allow more real criminals to run free.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]
"real criminals" You mean that murder and rape and theft don't count if they are commited by illegals?
Thanks for clarifying that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"real criminals" You mean that murder and rape and theft don't count if they are commited by illegals?
Thanks for clarifying that.

Umm yeah actually that is a "real" criminal.  How in the world could you misconstrue that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Because illegals are doing that and getting away...so I guess a lawbreaker is not a lawbreaker if he is an illegal....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My academy starts next month!  I am gonna request to be one contract over from you so i can annoy your ass
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My academy starts next month!  I am gonna request to be one contract over from you so i can annoy your ass

HA...you can request all you want!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA...you can request all you want!

Get a room.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
But seriously folks...

Um robbing a bank's a federal crime-do local LEO's ever catch bank robbers?  How about federal agencies teaming up with local agencies on task forces?  Yes, local LE can indeed enforce federal law, local politicians prohibit it, which is the problem.  In Dallas, the Matricular Card is accepted as official ID, although the only reason to possess one is because the bearer is here ILLEGALLY.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Tom Delay said we should use the National Guard to round them up and put them in tents.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Tom Delay said we should use the National Guard to round them up and put them in tents.  

Round who up?  The Houston police or the illegals?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
He encouraged local police to round up illegal immigrants, and promised that the federal government will find places to house them.

"If you pick up 50 or 100 of them, you can call the National Guard," he said. "Put them in tents."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I find the best day labor at Tanner and Gessner
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I find the best day labor at Tanner and Gessner

I know exactly what your talking about.

try conradsaurl at Westview  I think its conrad sauer.   Its someone between Gessner and Bunkerhill on Westbview.    very bad!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top