Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/25/2003 11:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 12:01:11 PM EDT by Slash]
House Speaker Backs Public Records of CCW Permits

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -
House Speaker Larry Householder said Tuesday he agrees with Gov. Bob Taft's demand that the state disclose the names of people issued permits to carry concealed weapons.

Householder reversed his position from last week when a spokesman dismissed the idea, saying it was contrary to the point of carrying a concealed weapon.

Taft has threatened to veto legislation that would allow people to carry hidden guns unless it requires weapons permits to be open to the public.

Taft said people have the right to know whether their friends, enemies or neighbors have a license to carry a concealed weapon.

"The governor believes it's a reasonable request," Taft spokesman Orest Holubec said Tuesday.

Householder, a Glenford Republican, said concealed carry laws in other states work well because criminals don't know who is carrying a weapon.

"I don't see where a simple public record of who the permit holders are will necessarily damage that at all," he said.

Click here for full story:
www.ofcc.net/article1591.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:43:37 PM EDT
So, who is he getting a kickback from???

Ass...fucking...hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:36:07 AM EDT
I've come to the realization that we will never have CCW in Ohio...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:30:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:
I've come to the realization that we will never have CCW in Ohio...

I noticed that too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:41:30 AM EDT
I believe we will get CCW. Householder is trying to find a compromise that will get us there. I do not agree with this public records stance, but would accept it as a first step in the door. Over time, if there are problems as a result of it, I would venture it is a specific topic that the legislature could revisit. He is right, in that its all in how it is written and what is public, what is not, and how the information might be made available. It is quite possible to make records public and still make them a real PITA to get to.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:50:21 AM EDT
I fear that if we 'compromise' too much, we're not going to get a good law.

I hope that I am wrong.
(Wouldn't be the first time.)

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:53:59 AM EDT
Is there some reason these asshats can't do a little research into how well CCW works in other states??????

I guess it's just me.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:56:44 AM EDT
GM - I think that our biggest problem is the Governor.

Without his roadblocks, we'd already have permits in our pockets.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:03:21 AM EDT
What is it, 44 states have CCW? Of course all have had crime go down. Can the gov not admit he's wrong????

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:49:23 AM EDT
No, he cannot admit he is wrong. He still feels he has to play the inner city voting blocks in the three Cs perhaps he's thinking congressional after his term limit. At any rate, conceding his final roadblock is going to force him to do something. As I said, getting over the major hurdle of getting a law passed is first priority, fixing what is wrong with it can wait till later. As these rights were erroded incrementaly so shall they be regained. Remember, half of the people taking an all or nothing stance go home with nothing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:54:40 PM EDT
Oh sorry, lost it for a minute. The sky would fall before a politician admitted they were wrong.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:56:58 PM EDT
Hopefully the people here see thru his bullshit and he LOSES his bid for CON-gress. I dont want that simp representing me in Washington. He'd be Ohio's own Diane Fineswine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:26:48 PM EDT
Name, county, Im ok with. Anything more is potentially damaging(idenity theft, harassment, etc.) and as such "actionable." Gov Taft's stalling. He won't be govenor forever, and if he(and De-whine) don't wake up and smell the coffee, I doubt he(they) will be senators for long!
Hessian-1out!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:29:54 AM EDT
Here's the whole story, from the Plain Dealer:

Speaker will deal to save gun bill

11/26/03

Sandy Theis
Plain Dealer Bureau

Columbus - House Speaker Larry Householder said he's willing to negotiate with Gov. Bob Taft over the governor's demand for the state to disclose the names of people who are issued permits to carry concealed handguns.

Gov. Bob Taft appeared to derail the long-debated gun bill last week when he threatened to veto it unless it requires the state to disclose the name, birth date and county of residence of people who are issued a gun permit.

House and Senate leaders initially rejected Taft's demand, but Householder reversed himself yesterday.

"Let's try and work out the differences and get things settled once and for all," Householder said.

Although he described himself as a supporter of public records, he stopped short of endorsing Taft's entire list of demands.

"It all depends on the details," he said in an interview yesterday. "I think the names of retired police officers ought to be exempt [from disclosure], for obvious reasons."

Taft spokesman Orest Holubec said the governor welcomes the speaker's willingness to negotiate, and said Taft has made his list of demands very clear.

Debate over the whether gun-permitting records should be public comes as legislators are trying to resolve differences between the House- and Senate-passed versions of legislation that would allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons. Both versions, however, call for exempting permitting records from public scrutiny.

Taft is arguing that the public has a right to know whether its friends, neighbors or baby-sitters have gun permits.

Opponents counter that making the records public could help gun-seeking criminals to target homes whose residents have a gun permit.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

stheis@plaind.com, 1-800-228-8272

© 2003 The Plain Dealer. Used with permission.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:26:04 PM EDT
Fairborn man assaulted, robbed answering door
Dayton Daily News
November 26, 2003

FAIRBORN | A 20-year-old man told police that four masked men rushed into his apartment Monday and put a gun to his head before stealing two handguns, Fairborn police reported.

The man said he opened the door of his apartment, in the 200 block of Dayton-Yellow Springs Road, about 9 p.m. believing a neighbor was knocking. He told police the men barged in and began assaulting him, but when he realized the gun one of them had was a plastic toy he struggled and yelled for help, according to a police report. Police said he told them the suspects fled when neighbors came to his aid.

Witnesses also told police that two semi-automatic handguns — a black Lama .45-caliber and a chrome Jennings .380-caliber — were stolen, according to the report.

Commentary:
Since the victim's firearms were clearly the intended target of these criminals, it is obvious they knew they were present in his home. If concealed carry licenseholders' personal information is made open to the public, criminals like these will be provided a list of Ohio homes in which they can find firearms to steal.

These criminals had a toy gun when they invaded this home. Because they knew exactly which home to rob in order to get what they wanted, they were able to use that information to assault this man and steal his property. Now they have two real guns.

www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/1126fairborn.html

www.ohioccw.org/article1595.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:39:44 AM EDT
I said it before and I'll say it again. IT'S NOBODYS GOD DAMN BUSINESS if I have a CCW. Also my neighbors driving record is NONE OF MY GOD DAMN BUSINESS.
Somebody please show me where in the US or Ohio constution where I have a "RIGHT" to know someones personal information.
Just becouse our asswipe govoner says so doesn't mean shit. That lieing piece of crap will say anything as long as it suits his ajenda.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top