Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 8:28:31 AM EDT
Can't find an online story yet...

Sounds like an attempted robbery, then fled scene in a silver pickup, blew a light striking several cars, killing two in the crash, then fled on foot into a Jewel, shots fired inside, unknown if anyone hit, but at least one woman severely injured due to a beating by the suspects. ISP TRT, South Suburban ERT on scene. TV news copters had some overhead shots. I'd imagine they won't be there for long because the airspace overhead will be shut down by FAA once ISP notifies them.

(oh.. according to the police spokesman and a witness they interviewed, it's a "Jewels" store)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
So what are you doing sitting on the computer?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Cody, it is all related.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cody, it is all related.

Ah, kinda thought it might be, but wasn't sure.  In Dolton, you can never be sure if it's the same criminals or seperate criminals.

Dolton squad was involved in an overnight crash as well, separate from this incident. It might be what you saw on the 7am news. I don't know if the Jewel thing happened that early.

Wizzo... I'm home because I'm OFF today. They know what they're doing down there.

I was lucky enough to respond to the Villa Park one... lucky because it was all on overtime.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I work right by the Villa Park one (like blocks away) thought I might have saw you!!! At least it was overtime for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured you were off. You've said that you can't surf ARFcom on duty so I put 1 and 1 together.

I was just ribbing ya a little

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a link to the story about the Dolton robbery. It sounds like there is some controversy about the persuit. Isn't it true that law enforcement is required to use lights when speeding? This happens in our town often and it has been something I have seen cause some close calls. The patrol cars flying around town at night with no light bar on. One about plowed into me once speeding at night and I couldn't believe it.
Dolton attempted robbery
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Isn't it true that law enforcement is required to use lights when speeding?
 No.  Situation might dictate that no lights should be on, but need to get somewhere quickly.  Example (and there could be hundreds more).  BG is running from Police on foot, let's say it is night.  Other units are trying to move around to cut off BG and box him in.  Brights flashing strobes make it kind of hard to not be seen.  Also, obviously, let's say there is a burglar alarm.  Yes, burglars have look outs, and the last thing you want is the BG's seeing you coming from a mile away.  I could go on and on....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope catching a bank robber was worth the lives of these two people. Prayers up for their family.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I work right by the Villa Park one (like blocks away) thought I might have saw you!!! At least it was overtime for you.

Doubt you saw me. I was there between 1:30 am to 7am. Unmarked black squad, out on Villa between 3rd and Hill. If you saw one of our squads there in the morning, it was the day shift guy that replaced me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Isn't it true that law enforcement is required to use lights when speeding?

No, we're not required to, by state law. Except for police vehicles, all other emergency vehicles must use lights and siren while moving, and lights while stopped, when exercising the privilege to disregard certain traffic laws.

625 ILCS 5/11-205
Sec. 11‑205. Public officers and employees to obey Act‑Exceptions.

(a) The provisions of this Chapter applicable to the drivers of vehicles upon the highways shall apply to the drivers of all vehicles owned or operated by the United States, this State or any county, city, town, district or any other political subdivision of the State, except as provided in this Section and subject to such specific exceptions as set forth in this Chapter with reference to authorized emergency vehicles.

(b) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this Section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

(c) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:
       1. Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Chapter;

2. Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be required and necessary for safe operation;

3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;

4. Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

(d) The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle, other than a police vehicle, shall apply only when the vehicle is making use of either an audible signal when in motion or visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 12‑215 of this Act.

(e) The foregoing provisions do not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty of driving with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor do such provisions protect the driver from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(f) Unless specifically made applicable, the provisions of this Chapter, except those contained in Section 11‑204 and Articles IV and V of this Chapter, shall not apply to persons, motor vehicles and equipment while actually engaged in work upon a highway but shall apply to such persons and vehicles when traveling to or from such work.

Individual departments may have more restrictive policies, i.e requiring use of lights and/or siren when responding to certain calls, or when pursuing suspects.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]

I hope catching a bank robber was worth the lives of these two people. Prayers up for their family.
 I'm disappointed that someone like you would make this quote.  Again, now you can see what the Police are up against.  We are blamed for the actions of the scum bags.  Technically, the Cops weren't even in pursuit, and pursuit in this case was highly justified.  You think any cop goes into a situation thinking the loss of innocent life is acceptable?!?!  We don't have cyrstal balls to know how something is going to end.  Society has to accept the fact that there are situations that will dictate the need for the Police to catch the offenders, otherwise, why the HELL would ANYONE give up then.  If all you have to do is run and have no fear of being caught, we would have Anarchy.  AND AGAIN, now some want to blame the Police when they aren't even initiating anything.  I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE for the actions of another when I do NOTHING to influence the outcome.  Are the Police now going to be blamed for responding to call???  I can see this comment, "Oh, the Cops should have know that when responding to the scene, their presence would have spooked the bad guys, of course the bad guys would be scared, who could blame them for running, I mean, I know the squads weren't even on scene yet or chaing them, but come on, if I did some thing wrong, I would have run too, the Police SHOULD HAVE KNOWN."  This is what I am waiting for now, for people to be pissed that we showed up when WE ARE CALLED.  But god forbid we don't get there fast enough for some, then let holy hell hit the roof.  The Police motto should no longer be "To Serve and Protect", should be "Damned if we do, Damned if we don't".  Hey, NPD, I'll see if we can get this made into a patch for us...lol!  (RANT OFF)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

K9copper and npd233.  This is not my thinking. In my post I no way intended to imply that the cops were wrong in chasing these bad guys. My post simply asked if responding was to be done with lights running. Sorry if I offended you guys. I had no intention to do so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I didnt mean to come off as if it was the cops fault because its obviously not. Ive met K9 and npd and respect you both as officers and men. I really just ment is the grand karma of the universe I hope it was worth it. I hate seeing our nations youth die for nothing. No offense to Illinois' men in blue was meant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Kal, works for me and Brass-Hog, I know yours was just an honest question and ones that need to be asked.  No cop has a problem with that.  Here is the twist if no one knows it yet, this is from NBC5, so yes, Cops know the pain:

Victim Related To Dolton Police Officer

NBC5's Alex Perez reported that the series of events was especially tragic for the Dolton Police Department because Katherine McMaster was the stepdaughter of a veteran officer.

"This particular officer, who will be unnamed at this point, has a very close relationship with this administration, this police department, is very close to the mayor, and we're all saddened and we're just trying to console that family," Howard told reporters Tuesady.

Neighbors said the couple was quiet and loved to grill in their backyard.

Perez said the loss hit the victims' tight-knit neighborhood hard.

"On the weekends, he was great," neighbor Paula ZelanikZelanik told Perez. "He cut his grass and trimmed it. And you would see him up on the roof taking leaves out of the gutter and washing the car. And they were just very good neighbors."

"When we'd see them, they were just very polite and everything," said another neighbor, Glenda Cleveland. "My husband basically talked with them, and just like good neighbors. I just can't say anything else more than that."

"It just jolts you to know that these things can happen to good people. It doesn't seem right somehow," Zelanik said.

Officials said counselors were on hand here at the Dolton Police Department to help any officers who may have known the victims cope with the loss.

The couple was supposed to get married in October.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top