Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2009 8:35:29 PM EDT
My thread showing off my current supply of beer got me thinking....

How much interest is there in the WA HTF in learning how to brew beer?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a whole lot of space to entertain a bunch, but I might start inviting a few at a time every time I brew.  

Of course, there *IS* a rule that says you must be drinking homebrew while making homebrew.  I've broken this rule twice, and both times I was punished almost immediately.  

ETA:  I should mention I'm in Lynnwood, and you come to the brewing equipment, not the other way around.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, I was thinking of buying myself one of those home brew starter kits for my B-Day in a few weeks.

The one I'm looking at comes with 6-Gallon Primary Fermentor, 5-Gallon Glass Carboy, 3-pc Airlock with Stopper, 4-ft Siphon Hose, Racking Cane and Clip, Bottle Filler, BENCH Capper, Caps, Wort Chiller (your choice of indoor or outdoor model), Faucet Adapter, Sanitizer, Cleaner, Thermometer,Hydrometer with Test Jar, Carboy Brush, Bottle Brush, Instructional Book & Video,Boil proof Spoon, Beer Thief.
Price: $206.73

I wonder though how much is fluff and if I'd do better shopping it out at a homebrew store.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
if any of the vancouver guys want to brew let me know
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, I was thinking of buying myself one of those home brew starter kits for my B-Day in a few weeks.

The one I'm looking at comes with 6-Gallon Primary Fermentor, 5-Gallon Glass Carboy, 3-pc Airlock with Stopper, 4-ft Siphon Hose, Racking Cane and Clip, Bottle Filler, BENCH Capper, Caps, Wort Chiller (your choice of indoor or outdoor model), Faucet Adapter, Sanitizer, Cleaner, Thermometer,Hydrometer with Test Jar, Carboy Brush, Bottle Brush, Instructional Book & Video,Boil proof Spoon, Beer Thief.

I wonder though how much is fluff and if I'd do better shopping it out at a homebrew store.

Items I'd say are less-needed:
Bench Capper
Caps
Bottle Brush
Beer Thief

I started with a capper and caps, and it was a waste of my time.  *MOST* of the time it worked just fine.  Sometimes the caps wouldn't seat just right, and I wouldn't know it until after beer had foamed all over the place.

With the swing-top style bottles I use now, they work 100% of the time.

I find a bottle brush is entirely unnecessary... just rinse your bottles after drinking.  If you get some scum residue from not rinsing right away, fill partially and shake the hell out of it.  Do this 2-3 times and all the sediment is gone.  The same could be said for the carboy brush, but that's a lot more glass to accidentally break by sloshing it around.

Wort chiller is EXTREMELY useful to have, especially if you are brewing more than one batch in a day or you are brewing outside.  I try to always brew outside using my turkey deep-fryer, as it's the perfect size for 6-gallons of wort.  If you do this outside, having a wort chiller is going to be a must to cool it down before enough wild yeasts can get into the wort.

When you get a primary fermenter, get one with a spigot.  They are the same price, and very useful.

I would also recommend getting a bottle tree, and a bottle washer (usually fits on top of the tree).

And above all else, remember that sanitation is absolutely essential.  You can screw up just about any stage in the brewing process and be fine as long as you remembered to keep EVERYTHING sanitary after the boil.

ETA:  If you are in the northend, check out Homebrew Heaven in Everett for your supplies.  There are a few other places in the area (Shoreline, Kirkland, etc), but I think HH is the best of the bunch for price and selection.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm tenatively planning a BBQ on July 18th. It would be awesome to include a homebrew tasting from the WAHTF.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Average beer takes about 1 month from the brew date to be ready to drink.  Might be cutting it a little close, but possible.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking I might have to keep my turkey deep-fryer after all.  I was going to put it in a garage sale in a few weeks since I don't use it any more.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking I might have to keep my turkey deep-fryer after all.  I was going to put it in a garage sale in a few weeks since I don't use it any more.

Clean it really well, boil with water to get whatever oil you missed, and it's perfect for beer!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you do, please sanitize everything!  Last batch my buddy made, he didn't sanitize too well...  He poured his first drink into his "Boot" and when he went to take a sip, he almost vomited...  Because it literally smelled like a foot...  Almost like someone was wearing his "Boot" on their feet...
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I did some home brewing with a "Mr Beer" setup.  I've always wanted to get a serious setup.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SNIP. It would be awesome to include a homebrew tasting from the WAHTF.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clean it really well, boil with water to get whatever oil you missed, and it's perfect for beer!

As long as it's stainless, not aluminum ... but if I think about it, I don't think I've seen too many aluminum ones.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Stainless is a must! Aluminum will make you beer taste funny. I have a stainless turkey fryer I use if Im making a single batch, and I keg with the top cut off for making triple batches.
As stated above, the wort chiller is a must if your cooking outside, or if your pressed for time. It will cut your chilling time from hours to minutes. Graduating from bottles to a keg system will also cut a significant amount of time from your process. I can wash and sanitize a keg in five minutes. Two and a half cases of bottles takes me a long time to prep. Plus, I can store 15 gallons of beer in a lot less space with no worries of the bottles leaking or bursting from being over primed.
Kegging also prevents people from asking for a six pack to go, and never seeing your bottles again.

For those of you on the south end, Larrys Brewing Supply in Kent is also a great place to get all your needs, He and the rest of the staff are a wealth of knowledge.

Marauder777, hows the price/availability of hops so far this year? Is it better than last year when it was a struggle to find some strains?
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, lets say I have a large cooking pan, a keg, and a will to have more beer......What else do I need?

EDIT: Nevermind, reading this
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have done it in the past, but it always tastes like ass. I'd much rather try shine if it wasn't illegal.  Then again maybe I should and grow some tobacco. Then I could go for the BATF trifecta!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Marauder777, hows the price/availability of hops so far this year? Is it better than last year when it was a struggle to find some strains?

I think I paid about $6.50 or so for a 2oz bag of dried hops.

Quoted:
I have done it in the past, but it always tastes like ass. I'd much rather try shine if it wasn't illegal.  Then again maybe I should and grow some tobacco. Then I could go for the BATF trifecta!

If it tastes like ass, you either used a Mr. Beer system or did not sanitize well enough.  

Tobacco is legal for personal use.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking I might have to keep my turkey deep-fryer after all. I was going to put it in a garage sale in a few weeks since I don't use it any more.

As long as it's stainless, not aluminum ... but if I think about it, I don't think I've seen too many aluminum ones.

Damn.  Mine is aluminum (I had to go look to make sure).  So, it goes in the garage sale.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking I might have to keep my turkey deep-fryer after all. I was going to put it in a garage sale in a few weeks since I don't use it any more.

Damn.  Mine is aluminum (I had to go look to make sure).  So, it goes in the garage sale.

Why is aluminum bad?

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you do a demo near Seattle, let me know and I'll show up.

I've got 100's of gallons of all-grain under my belt (and I'm not just talkin' about my beer gut).

ETA: I could PIF some basic equipment if any one in interested.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got 100's of gallons of all-grain under my belt (and I'm not just talkin' about my beer gut).

I'm interested.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is aluminum bad?

Aluminum Pots:
Pros:
- considerably less expensive than SS
- much better at conducting heat than SS, which means faster boils, faster cooling, and less chance of scorching  (these "pro's" are minimal, as the aluminum has to be much thicker than the SS to maintain the same strength)
- not as heavy to lift as SS

Cons:
- oxidizes easily, meaning that oxygen-based cleaners (e.g., Oxyclean, One-step) cannot be used (Note: caustic or other similar clean-in-place solutions can definitely not be used, which is why the brewing industry generally does not use aluminum.)
- passive oxide layer must be built up before brewing with a new aluminum kettle, although it is very easy to maintain

Stainless Steel Pots:
Pros:
- can be cleaned by oxygenated/CIP cleaners without damaging the pot
- passive oxide layer that protects the pot is not as easy to remove as aluminum
- they are really shiny and look cool!

Cons:
- expensive
- not nearly as good at conducting heat as aluminum

Some people just don't like aluminum for a variety of reasons, but with all the "evidence" flying around the internet leaning in either direction, this decision is up to you.  I prefer stainless.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll probably stick with a partial-mash as I don't have the space for all-grain.  Once I go all-grain I'll be buying grain by the drum.  

There's a good chance I'll be firing up the Big Green Egg for something like this as well.  

Our house is currently being pressure washed, caulked, and repainted.  My kitchen is full of all the stuff that's been sitting on my deck, so I'll start planning a batch soon after the painters are done and I can clear up some space.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why is aluminum bad?

Aluminum Pots:
Pros:
- considerably less expensive than SS
- much better at conducting heat than SS, which means faster boils, faster cooling, and less chance of scorching  (these "pro's" are minimal, as the aluminum has to be much thicker than the SS to maintain the same strength)
- not as heavy to lift as SS

Cons:
- oxidizes easily, meaning that oxygen-based cleaners (e.g., Oxyclean, One-step) cannot be used (Note: caustic or other similar clean-in-place solutions can definitely not be used, which is why the brewing industry generally does not use aluminum.)
- passive oxide layer must be built up before brewing with a new aluminum kettle, although it is very easy to maintain

Stainless Steel Pots:
Pros:
- can be cleaned by oxygenated/CIP cleaners without damaging the pot
- passive oxide layer that protects the pot is not as easy to remove as aluminum
- they are really shiny and look cool!

Cons:
- expensive
- not nearly as good at conducting heat as aluminum

Some people just don't like aluminum for a variety of reasons, but with all the "evidence" flying around the internet leaning in either direction, this decision is up to you.  I prefer stainless.
I'll probably stick with a partial-mash as I don't have the space for all-grain.  Once I go all-grain I'll be buying grain by the drum.  

There's a good chance I'll be firing up the Big Green Egg for something like this as well.  

Our house is currently being pressure washed, caulked, and repainted.  My kitchen is full of all the stuff that's been sitting on my deck, so I'll start planning a batch soon after the painters are done and I can clear up some space.

PM or email me if you are going to do a batch with friends.

Eggs are great for brew day... throw some ribs on in the morning and by pitching time they'll be tasty. At least with a 6ish hour brew day, which is typical for me.

I'm happy to share my experience and whatever equipment I have to spare to help some one get on their way.

My kettle is a straight sided SS keg with a ball valve at the bottom. Works good and wasn't too expensive. I have access to TIG if any one has a keg to modify. All it takes is a female/female coupling, nipple, ball valve and a fitting for tubing. Gas burner required. TIG is also good for pinning FSs...
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have been home brewing for over 17 years!?  

I have had some incredible batches and some not so due to not having a to great of cleansing ( use Iodophor ) and temperature control!

Lagers are so-so, but ales are the great!  The expenses seem kinda high at start, but do not seem so bad after a while for some good tasty beer, - BUT - If you really want to brew some great ales, the money does go up a little bit for some incredible high true ales or barley wine type of beers compared to what you could purchase at the store. ( Due to the purchasing of the amount of grains and sugars to get the amount of flavor and alcohol content ).

SS is requirement!  Watch the boiling process.  Buy some books on home brewing, ( the new complete joy of home brewing is what I started with ) and relax, have a beer! and have some fun!

Clean-Clean-Clean!    This is basically the only real hard part of the process other than figuring what to brew!   Figure what to finish the process with, bottling ( size of ), pigs, keg?

One of my best brews was a imperial cherry stout that was aged for 4 years! 12.5 % ! Mmmmm!

Start out simple to get the hang of it for some good tasty beer and then start the experimentations!  Some truly tasty beers are in store that are incredible!  Better than what's in the store quality!

Now, I have gotten out of brewing beer, and with a buddy, make some of the best Absinthe around period!

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't use a Mr. Beer system, but homebrew always tastes like homebrew. I have a few friends who killer stuff so I guess if I ever brew another batch I should consult them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Marauder777, check your messages and let me know if my info didn't get through.

I'll try to see whatr extra equipment I've got lying around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#29]
If anyone is looking for equipment, i would recommend homebrew heaven on evergreen way in everett. Good people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If anyone is looking for equipment, i would recommend homebrew heaven on evergreen way in everett. Good people.

Quoted:

ETA:  If you are in the northend, check out Homebrew Heaven in Everett for your supplies.  There are a few other places in the area (Shoreline, Kirkland, etc), but I think HH is the best of the bunch for price and selection.

It's not often I get someone to agree with me.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Bob's Homebrew by the Ram near U Village in Seattle is also good.

He does very nice equipment fabrication (SS TIG).

In fall, he gets fresh-pressed cider from Lopez Island that makes awesome hard cider.

He's a closeted (by virtue of his clientele) fan of the black rifle as well...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, so... In order of responding:

Gwitness
Clown Gun
TonitrusEN
Fredericksburg

Any other takers?  Patch?

I'm thinking this coming Saturday (20th) would be good since we still have a little sun.  

I currently have IPA and porter (though the porter may not be ready by Saturday), and am open to suggestions for a style of brew to make.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Saturday no good.....Huge Gators BBQ and Dallas's moving party.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Crap, I missed both of those threads.  Oh well, more time for the porter to get ready.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Two items I have found really handy are the adhesive back "Fermometer" for the outside of the carboy to give you a temperature reading.
And a carboy handle for around the neck of the carboy. The handle makes a big difference when that carboy is full.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ok, so... In order of responding:

Gwitness
Clown Gun
TonitrusEN
Fredericksburg

Any other takers?  Patch?

I'm thinking this coming Saturday (20th) would be good since we still have a little sun.  

I currently have IPA and porter (though the porter may not be ready by Saturday), and am open to suggestions for a style of brew to make.

Solstice Party. Cooking a goat and serving some homebrew. No can brew.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Guys....I have a complete home brewing system with all the equipment, books, 2 stainless cola kegs, forced carbonation bottle that has been sitting in my basement for several years taking up space.
Let me gather it all together in one place and inventory everything and I'll either sell the whole thing or maybe do a PIF for the WAHTF future brewers.
I'll dig it all out tomorrow afternoon and then get in touch with Marauder777 for his input and approval of said brewing equipment.
I used to brew alot with my rock climbing/milf hunting bud, but he bought a local micro brew brewery here in Colville and now I get all me beer from him.

goddamn good brew too...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#38]
What I have learned homebrewing...kegging and force carbonation equipment is worth every penny!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Saturday the 20th is out for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll pick a better day with more advance notice.... Give me a few days.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Shampoo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top