Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2011 5:24:09 AM EDT
I want to home school my 8th grade daughter.  The kids at her school are a bad influence.

Has anyone tried the Washoe On-line Learning for the Future Program ?   It is connect with the WCSD and is offered for free.  If anyone has had an experience with it can you please comment.  I work at home so my wife and I are both home and able to help and supervise her.    

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about Washoe Online but I decided 2 years ago to homeschool my son because I actually care about his education as opposed to the teachers that only care about their pay and benefits. I decided to go with K12 (Nevada Virtual Academy) and I couldn't be happier. He is in 5th grade now and is studying French and Algebra. The interface is extremely user friendly, they will provide all materials to include a computer as well as subsidize your internet costs, the curriculum is state of NV approved, and the teachers guides and resources make it very easy to teach without teaching experience. If Washoe Online is similar I would jump on it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know about Washoe Online but I decided 2 years ago to homeschool my son because I actually care about his education as opposed to the teachers that only care about their pay and benefits. I decided to go with K12 (Nevada Virtual Academy) and I couldn't be happier. He is in 5th grade now and is studying French and Algebra. The interface is extremely user friendly, they will provide all materials to include a computer as well as subsidize your internet costs, the curriculum is state of NV approved, and the teachers guides and resources make it very easy to teach without teaching experience. If Washoe Online is similar I would jump on it. Good luck.

This ?

http://www.k12.com/nvva

Let me know if this is your program and I'll look into it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Exactly. Much more advanced pace of learning, online class sessions, work at your child's pace, and plenty of support for the parent. My son graduated early last year even though we took a week off to go to Disneyland. I work weekends so it's also nice being able to take a Wednesday to go have fun and finish up school later in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding, thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I wasn't home schooled... 'Naw well!
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My son has taken several WOLF classes so that it opens more space during the regular school day for classes he wants to take.  It worked well, you just need to help remind them to do it.  For each class, they ask 2 hours per day, 5 days per week.  They can finish quickly if they stick with it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into getting them into Community College classes early, if done properly they can have their 2yr degree at 18 no problem. Quality of instruction at the CC can be surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully you remember to socialize your kids with others.  The majority of the home-schooled kids aren't good at life and dealing with others.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully you remember to socialize your kids with others.  The majority of the home-schooled kids aren't good at life and dealing with others.

The majority?

Not my experience.
In most cases you have no way of knowing who was home-schooled unless they say so for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You see it in the military...easy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It completely depends on the job that the parents do. Myself and my wife were both home schooled, and you wouldn't know. Then there are often times those home schooling families were it is blatantly obvious that their children are very repressed socially.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority?

Not my experience.
In most cases you have no way of knowing who was home-schooled unless they say so for some reason.

+1

The home schooled 'kids' I met in the past were academically far superior to their peers and very well socially adjusted. With one remarkable difference: At 17 they have the social and emotional maturity of people in their mid 20s or older.

Wouldn't surprise me if that were to lead to issues amongst other 18 year old joining the .mil

Disclaimer: I wasn't home schooled. I was in the .mil a looong time ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
A guy I work with uses the WOLF school for his kids and says there is no way he would ever send them back to regular school. His kids get the social interaction at church so kind of best of both worlds I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It completely depends on the job that the parents do. Myself and my wife were both home schooled, and you wouldn't know. Then there are often times those home schooling families were it is blatantly obvious that their children are very repressed socially.

I concur.  It's not the "home schooling" that is the issue, it's how sheltered some parents keep their kids.  I see the benefits of it done properly and the negatives if it's used to shelter children from reality in the world.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority?

Not my experience.

+1

At 17 they have the social and emotional maturity of people in their mid 20s or older.

Wouldn't surprise me if that were to lead to issues amongst other 18 year old joining the .mil

No, and as I was in my mid 20's when I joined, I know what you mean.  It's not the childish behavior that they are introduced to, it's the lack of coping skills.  Some just go crazy and some just suck start their M4.

Again, not knocking the home schooling, just saying not to withdrawal the kids from social activity outside the home.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.  It's not the "home schooling" that is the issue, it's how sheltered some parents keep their kids.  I see the benefits of it done properly and the negatives if it's used to shelter children from reality in the world.

Man, believe me. I have seen both extremes... And I fall somewhere in the middle!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at the number of kids coming out of the public system that are not prepared to deal with life without mommy and daddy......it's easy to focus on a few bad examples of home-schooled kids and forget about the masses of jackasses being turned out (or dropping out) of the public system......
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority?

Not my experience.

+1

At 17 they have the social and emotional maturity of people in their mid 20s or older.

No, and as I was in my mid 20's when I joined, I know what you mean.  It's not the childish behavior that they are introduced to, it's the lack of coping skills.  Some just go crazy and some just suck start their M4.

Again, not knocking the home schooling, just saying not to withdrawal the kids from social activity outside the home.

Agree. Social interaction is always important. But I don't think that public school is a requirement to get the necessary social interaction. As you said, "social activity outside the home", is the key. I certainly believe that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]
OK my two cents from a home school father. First the decision for us to home school are two folds.
1. My wife has a degree in elementary education and was about to be a teacher until she did her student teaching. While observing several classes a theme developed boys are set at one table girls another. If you are fidgetty or have a hard time sitting longer then a half hour (Most young boys that I kow) you go to time out. If you touch another kid your sent to the principle even if it was harmless incident. If the fidgiting continues your are expelled untill you have a psychatric evaluation and most of the kids come back on some kind of drug to make them doscile. Another time she is in a kindergarten class observing and they are ready a story about two male giraffs that are married. But it gets better she went to a school here in the Valley where kids are not alloud to ware shoes laces or belts because they may be used to tie up other children.(She did get he degree but has choose not pursue a teaching career because of this methodology here in the Clark county school system.)
2. The most important reason was while watching my nephew who is few years older then my oldest, I picked him up from school and took hime to the house. He started to do his homework and the firsthing he had was a colloring/workbook that he had to do for extra credit. It was from PETA and the opening page read like this. If your father hunts he is bad. (I will refrain from the language I used when I read this) I asked him if this was part of his class and he said yes he gets etra credit for colloring and doing the activities in it.

After these events when my oldest was getting close to be enrolled into our local school system here in Vegas I thought about the socilization question long and hard and decided if I wanted my daughter believe that the sexes are not alloud to interact and you will be punished if you can not set longer then hour in one place or if hugging people is bad or if two men marrying is right or that if your dad  hunts he is bad I guess I would send them to public school. But I do not believe any of those things are good or socially acceptable so we home school. As far as being socilized there is church, AWANAS, girls scouts, dance class, soccer, baseball, hunting trips and range days with dad. And the socilization question is bunk used by the parents that are unwilling to participate in thier kids life as an excuse to ship thier kids off to Clark Count Public school system. Lets be honest we have met people that have gone to public educatuion that have no social skills as well and to be honest its the parents fault. As a parent it is my responsibilty socialize my children not the school and if you leave it up to the school do you know how they will be socialized? Will they support the second amendment? Will they be pro or aginst the right to hunt?

Remember it only takes one teacher to tell them and some pier pressure for them to think guns and hunting is bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew that our public school system is f***ed, but this takes the cake....
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yea, we wouldn't want any un-programed children not drinking from the politically correct kool aid well.

With all due respect,

I don't believe in that "socialize your kids" concept at all. I think its pushed on people as if its a huge concern when its not. Even if one were to keep their kids from other children in the early years, people are will naturally learn to socialize in later years.

Besides, what would you do with a child who prefers not to socialize, force them to?

OP. Home school as you wish. Do worry about the other stuff...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#22]
My nephew is completing his online high school through Nevada Connections Academy.  They live in Vegas but the online school is based in Sparks.

The curriculum is set up as an online school and is quite different from what most would consider to be "home-schooled".  His parents do very little, if any, instruction at all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

fail.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fail.

Cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top