Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 10:17:14 AM EDT
Well, I just got back from sunny Cumbria, and had a great time. The bad weather everybody else seemed to have missed us.
Quality family time, mucho brownie points with hte missus, and I managed to get some shooting in as well
Now this didn't please the Mrs Scope-eye too much as it seems all our holidays sem to revolve around us travelling between one range or the other, where ever we go. But she couldn't complain this time as she booked it.

The UK 50cal club just happened to be having a shoot at Warcop, not many minutes from where we were staying. BunnyAssassin kindly picked me up (with Davey-Man - when will you stop lurking here and start posting?) and off we went. (Word to the wise - take 'civvie' looking clothes with you and change before you get back to camp, walking through a holiday camp with a BIG gun and camo clothing gets you some funny looks, but also space at the bar in the evening!)

First views of  Charlie High Range, Warcop.

ETA: the group of 4 tanks on the ridge are at 950-1000yds (lased). There are more hard targets behind (in the shadow) at up to 3000yds. This is a range made for tanks, mortars and other ordnance after all.

On closer inspection (through the spotting scope) I could see some hard targets.

This one at about 900yds

These two nearer 1000yds

AMS Target for tanks (and 6.5s as well) at about 650 yards.

Then I had to look through the scope:

We found a place for Davey-man:

Then the big guns turned up:
Me testing the weight of Chris's Fortmeier 50BMG, *king heavy

Bunnyassassin just before shooting the thing standing

Chris in mid recoil;

Rob's BFG Rangemaster in 408 Cheyenne Tactical

With a very expensive USOptics scope

Bunny boy again with John's RPA 50cal in a McMillan stock - big recoil!

recoil was much nicer after fitting the moderator (and you didn't need ears!)

And Swiss Peter bought along his McMillan 50BMG

John shooting his 50, with his 338LapMag in the foreground

Dave shooting the Lap Mag (with the AICS stock) and a glimpse of the 300WSM, also in an AICS stock and moderated to boot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a couple more................

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
And some more..................

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That big scope on Rob's .408 Chey-Tac's a bit ridiculous

Mark
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
US Optics.. about $4500 so we were told, got a 4 inch sunshade screwed on mind!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That big scope on Rob's .408 Chey-Tac's a bit ridiculous

Mark

He's thinking of changing it for the smaller one (same as Dave Livingstone's - not sure of the model). It's gimbled on the front and uses the rear mount to off-set the scope body. Not sure if it was the scope or the barrel, or even the loads, but the fall of shot wandered off target at about 600yds. Mind you it was the first outing after proof, so no barrel run-in or range load development had been done.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pics Matt thanks for posting

That looks like a great range and some Gucci looking rifles I might add.

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Great pics Matt thanks for posting

Ich lebe zu dienen

That looks like a great range and some Gucci looking rifles I might add.

Taffy

Swiss Peter (he came all the way from Switzerland as they don't have many ranges past 300m) also has some very large calibre ordnance (guns would be too small a word for what he's got).  I'd love to go to Switzerland for a look-see one day.

The tour continues...?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you talking the quad barrelled .50's ?  He mentioned a field trip did he not?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you talking the quad barrelled .50's ?  He mentioned a field trip did he not?  

The tour continues.......
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Wonder what a 50cal enthusiast spends on ammo per annum?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Great pics Matt

Looks a bit more interesting than altacr, where i shoot !

Steve
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Swiss Peter commented that his Brazilian Shite cost £3 a pop.................. Chris commented that his shiny pointed stuff cost £3.50 a throw.......................... I believe at the end of the shoot John, and others, had created a pile of over 50 empty shells.............. Expensive maybe, but my variation has gone through................ Sod the .44 Lever Action!!!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great pics Matt

Looks a bit more interesting than altacr, where i shoot !

Steve

Don't knock Altcar, it's better than most ranges.
Besides we had one guy a Warcop who regularly shoots at Altcar, lives in Bolton, and came up for the day. It's not too far and you could be there regularly.

Mind you, a .223 short barrel might struggle to get to the hard targets at 1000yds But there are many other ranges on the complex.

Or you'll just have to get yourself a bigger gun

Matt
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
The first reactive figure 12 (knock down) target was set at 550 yards.............. the furthest was set at about 1300 yards, though once Davey Man knocked that one down it never came back again...... thnk he bu****ed it?...........
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Hiya,

The piccys are great, I'd like to play arround on that range for a bit. The furthest that i have shot since leaving the Army, I shot a fox at 02:30hrs a couple of winters ago. .222 Rem. CZ 527 with a big 8X56 scope on it, zeroed to 100 meters, the fox tipped up about two hundred meters out. He was moving from my right to left, through the knee deep snow. Which meant that the Fox was bounding through it, and he wasnt coming any closer. So having been trade trained as a CVRT scorpion gunner i appleid the SWAG formula to the problem and took the fox in the air. Ten minutes later as the hunt owner arrived, he called up where is it? I told him if he wanted to see it he'd have to join me in the high seat which he did, and was gobsmacked when he saw how far away the fox was, I was glad that he'd come as it was -20°Celcius and the snot in my nose had frozen solid (needed a crow bar).

I was in the First Royal Tank's, (1984 - 1992) and seeing those Chieftains out there on the range is somewhat heart rendering to me, having spent the most of my misspent youth on a tankpark maintaining them. Sweating swearing and cursing them into roadworthiness, so that they could be considered as a weapon's platform's and not the pieces of targets that they have now become. I'm truely saddend by these piccys.Tony
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Now thats a range !!! Excellent pics BTW, thanks for that hose

Good stuff !!

Well, if the LBR's get banned, the variation may have to get changed for something bigger, and the Home Office will be to blame for that ! h
Cheers
Steven
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top