Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 7:26:38 PM EDT

I hope you can shed some kind of hope.  Our @#$% cat, my wife's baby who she is living vicariously through until we can get out of school and have a 'real' baby, has had some urinary issues in the past.  I get the impression that it may be coming back due to some of his behaviour.  He meows constantly.  Which, that is usual as he would meow until we would feed him when he was hungry in the past.  But now after he eats, he continues to meow for a while.  The doctor has him on some kind of prescription food that is suppose to keep his uretha healthy and all of that, but lately his eyes have been all watery and he has meowed very irritatingly.  It looks as though he is still having urinary movements along with his bowel movements judging by what I find in his litter box, but I just ahve a bad feeling that another $300   vet bill is ahead.  What do you think?

And no, before all of you begin - putting down "Evil" is not an option if something else can be done.  
^ Read "wife's baby"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Bullet point history questions for Evil:

Infections or stones?
How old?
Current food?
Current/past meds?
Abnormal odors from litterbox?
Urinating outside litterbox?
Eye discharge- colored or clear?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions... it's tough to get on th right track without being able to do a physical.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bullet point history questions for Evil:

Infections or stones?  I think it was an infection
How old?  approx. three years
Current food?  Hills prescription cat food, was c/d, I think it's K now.  (the bag with green colors)
Current/past meds?  none, other than Frontline
Abnormal odors from litterbox?  don't think so
Urinating outside litterbox?  not that I can tell, but, our house has a lot of places for a kitty to "go", so there is the possibility that we just haven't found a spot yet
Eye discharge- colored or clear?  clear

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions... it's tough to get on th right track without being able to do a physical.

-Hobbit

Thanks, Hob, you're the man.  He settled down shortly after he ate last night.  He really acts like the food isn't filling to him at all.  I hope we're just not encouraging some kind of Pavlov reaction where he thinks everytime he starts up he's going to get fed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi again-
If the food you're talking about is K/D, that's actually for a different urinary tract issue than C/D is for. C/D is a great food for cats with UTI's, but K/D is targeted toward animals with renal insufficiency or failure... you may want to go back to C/D, if that's the case.

If you think it's a relapse, the easy thing to do is get a urine stick run to look for red and white blood cells. That's usually where I start out...

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the info, I'll try any find out why the doc moved us from c/d to K.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
MMMMM Thems cats taste like chicken.  

We had a cat that did sort of the same thing. Many vet bills later, he was a she and problems stopped. I think the vet removed his uretha, bladder, or something like that. That was a long time ago so I don't really remember what they did to him.

Leave the door to your house open by mistake and maybe Evil will go out and try to find himself and not come back. Remember this, I DON'T KNOW HOW THE DOOR GOT OPEN! And cry a little bit, tell her you are going to look all over the neighborhood for Mr. Evil and instead go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds instead.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
[Leave the door to your house open by mistake and maybe Evil will go out and try to find himself and not come back. Remember this, I DON'T KNOW HOW THE DOOR GOT OPEN! And cry a little bit, tell her you are going to look all over the neighborhood for Mr. Evil and instead go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds instead.  

Thats just what I was thinking. (honey, did you know one of the cats is in the garage? Yeah, I tried to get them both in there but one of them ran back inside.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
casterate him
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My cat had the same symptoms and the Vet Prescribed C/D because of a pH imbalance that caused problems.  Everything has been fine now for a couple of years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top