Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 5:35:40 PM EDT
First time there.

Likes: all ranges off one centeral line, ranger officers on duty, 200 yard range

Dislike: no full auto - sign out front says 1 shot per trigger pull. Apprently they make exceptions and do allow burst fire.

The concrete barriers in the air tripped me out. Guess they help with dumbazz shooters. What tripped me out more was the number of shots into the concrete barriers in the air at all ranges.

Overall nice range set up.

I will be back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked the Pungo range. Its nice to be able to shoot steel targets on the pistol range. Last time M4arc and I shot there we heard big talk of some serious upgrades to the range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Pungo as well because of the relaxed atmosphere.  You don't get hassled by range Nazis and the folks that work there are pretty laid back.  The concrete blocks are wierd first time out, but the second time, you don't even notice them.  From the number of bullet marks in them, it becomes apparent that they are a good idea.  

They've done alot with the place, and are doing alot more.  

Ross
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I met Ross out there one with Slacker and I agree, the concrete was "different" but the number of hits on them was down right scary! LOL

I've been back since and took my semi0anti boss and his son. Both of them loved the AR and his son ran a couple hundred rounds through my 25MN.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to work at the indoor range on Lynnhaven that's owned by the same guy.  The airborne concrete barriers were put in place in case there was an inadvertant discharge with the muzzle pointed downrange, but up in the air.  OUCH, what an insurance nightmare without it, huh?  There's also a moat around the whole place, as well as thorn bushes.  I've seen airborne photos of the place when it was originally built, and there was NOTHING around it as far as the eye could see.  Now there's houses along the road, and the field to the side where we used to shoot clays has a cell repeater tower in it!

As to the quantity of strikes in the barriers and the steel beams......well, there's a bit of history there.

The owner of the range used to be one of the civilian purchasing directors for the modern SEAL teams out at Dam Neck.  He built that range mostly to accomodate their use in the early days and for civilian use to turn a profit.  Seems that in the early years the bullets flowed pretty freely, and with little discretion or regard to personal property, a la the Dick Marcinco hug.gif happens about himself. (NO flame against SPECWAR guys, I thank GOD everyday that there's guys as tough and dedicated as they are so that I don't have to die or send my children to die doing their job! But teh attitude still happens.)

Then in later years, several people in succession have leased the range and operated it as an independant business, but never really took care of the place.  When the owner took it back over about 2 years ago, he hired an all new staff, fixed a LOT of holes in the roof of the store and the range, upgraded many of the concrete benches and rubber matting on them, and got some new military contracts.

The current changes out there are very welcome, after it's been a run down bug infested swamp for a lotta years!  They're putting in more blocks to seperate a portion of the range so that military groups can shoot without interfeering with the civilian revenue generating side being interrupted (was chasing AWAY MANY MANY members).  The SPECWAR guys still shoot out there, and some of the Navy's new MA (Master at Arms) basic school firearms qualifying is done both there and at the indoor range.

Now, if they get some more sand on in the berms, some ground cover planted over the mud, upgrade those target frames, and throw some paint around, it'll be a truly first class place with something to offer everyone.

I go out there about every 2 weeks or so.  Maybe I'll see you all out there sometime.  I'll be the tall goofy looking guy with all the junk in an orange and black Black and Decker toat!  I usually have an AR and a bolt gun.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to own that range. I've been to the indoor one on Lynhaven. It was not too bad, but I've heard horror stories about it too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to work at the indoor range on Lynnhaven that's owned by the same guy.  The airborne concrete barriers were put in place in case there was an inadvertant discharge with the muzzle pointed downrange, but up in the air.  OUCH, what an insurance nightmare without it, huh?  There's also a moat around the whole place, as well as thorn bushes.  I've seen airborne photos of the place when it was originally built, and there was NOTHING around it as far as the eye could see.  Now there's houses along the road, and the field to the side where we used to shoot clays has a cell repeater tower in it!

As to the quantity of strikes in the barriers and the steel beams......well, there's a bit of history there.

The owner of the range used to be one of the civilian purchasing directors for the modern SEAL teams out at Dam Neck.  He built that range mostly to accomodate their use in the early days and for civilian use to turn a profit.  Seems that in the early years the bullets flowed pretty freely, and with little discretion or regard to personal property, a la the Dick Marcinco days!  Still happens once in a while, too, when they think that someone isn't looking, or when you get a new operator still feeling BAD about himself. (NO flame against SPECWAR guys, I thank GOD everyday that there's guys as tough and dedicated as they are so that I don't have to die or send my children to die doing their job! But teh attitude still happens.)

Then in later years, several people in succession have leased the range and operated it as an independant business, but never really took care of the place.  When the owner took it back over about 2 years ago, he hired an all new staff, fixed a LOT of holes in the roof of the store and the range, upgraded many of the concrete benches and rubber matting on them, and got some new military contracts.

The current changes out there are very welcome, after it's been a run down bug infested swamp for a lotta years!  They're putting in more blocks to seperate a portion of the range so that military groups can shoot without interfeering with the civilian revenue generating side being interrupted (was chasing AWAY MANY MANY members).  The SPECWAR guys still shoot out there, and some of the Navy's new MA (Master at Arms) basic school firearms qualifying is done both there and at the indoor range.

Now, if they get some more sand on in the berms, some ground cover planted over the mud, upgrade those target frames, and throw some paint around, it'll be a truly first class place with something to offer everyone.

I go out there about every 2 weeks or so.  Maybe I'll see you all out there sometime.  I'll be the tall goofy looking guy with all the junk in an orange and black Black and Decker toat!  I usually have an AR and a bolt gun.

Tom

Thanks for the interesting update and history. Hopefully we'll meet out there sometime. Most likely I can be found at the 200 line.

From what I saw, the amount of mud was minimal. They have stone walkways in place - not sure if they were there your last time out or not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Shot there for the first time Thursday. Nice atmosphere, I'll be back next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot out there every couple of months and I can usually be found down at the 25 yard section shooting steel.  Kent Moot has been doing a ton of work down there and there are plans to build another range in the field to the right, as you drive in.  The plans are to run some IDPA & 3-Gun matches down there when it's completed.  I was thinking of heading down next Saturday for a few hours and I really need to pay for a membership down there even though I'm a member a Lafayette.  If they are putting the work into that place then I should support it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know what the current membership dues are? I joined there for one year about 15 years ago and only went to shoot that one time the whole year.
 I thought they allowed full auto. I know the indoor range at Lynnhaven used to allow full auto by invitation for special shoots.
My experience with barriers(vertical,horizonital or overhead) is that "if you build it, they'll shoot it!"You ought to see the skid marks on the steel overhead at NCRR. That's better than the holes in the roof we used to get.
Lafaytte is just as close to me as the Va. Beach Range and has no walk in except guests.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Reloader-Bob,

IIRC the yearly dues are $70.  They do allow full-auto but I think they need to at least know who you are or have an "in".  Lafayette and Marvin Road are the same distance for me too, provided I don't hit tunnel traffic or have any problems on 64.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#11]
M4arc,
 Thanks for the info. I'll give the Va. Beach range a call next week and check'em out. I haven't
had a place to shoot some of my guns since my farmer friends sold their farm. Plus I'm somewhat
of a joiner and like to support worthwhile businesses or organizations so they'll be there when we
need them.
I-64 is an intense way to get to Lafaytte, but still the quickest way for me and I go there more often
than I go to Norfolk County Rifle Range which is only 10 minutes away from me. NCRR has 25 yard
indoor pistol and is accessable 24 hours a day.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
M4arc,
 Thanks for the info. I'll give the Va. Beach range a call next week and check'em out. I haven't
had a place to shoot some of my guns since my farmer friends sold their farm. Plus I'm somewhat
of a joiner and like to support worthwhile businesses or organizations so they'll be there when we
need them.
I-64 is an intense way to get to Lafaytte, but still the quickest way for me and I go there more often
than I go to Norfolk County Rifle Range which is only 10 minutes away from me. NCRR has 25 yard
indoor pistol and is accessable 24 hours a day.  

No problem.  I64 sucks but I go to Lafayette early in the morning or late at night so it's usually not a problem...unless they happen to be pressure-washing the tunnel
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lafaytte is just as close to me as the Va. Beach Range and has no walk in except guests.

Are you saying that Lafayette doesn't allow walk-ins or that the range in Pungo doesn't allow walkins? I've been thinking about heading down to Pungo this weekend for the first time.

I'll be the only Asian guy wearing a John Deere hat and chewing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying that Lafayette doesn't allow walk-ins or that the range in Pungo doesn't allow walkins? I've been thinking about heading down to Pungo this weekend for the first time.

I'll be the only Asian guy wearing a John Deere hat and chewing.

Lafayette doesn't allow walk-ins, members only.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool, how much is a walk in at Pungo?

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cool, how much is a walk in at Pungo?

Edited for spelling.

I think Pungo is $12 for the day or $70 for the year.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No problem.  I64 sucks but I go to Lafayette early in the morning or late at night so it's usually not a problem...unless they happen to be pressure-washing the tunnel

9PM-5AM all this week.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top