Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2011 11:13:27 AM EDT
http://gizmodo.com/5828319/the-long+shot-rifle-that-can-drop-a-taliban-fighter-from-15-miles-away

The article;

The Long-Shot Rifle That Can Drop a Taliban Fighter from 1.5 Miles Away

1.54 miles. That's the world's longest recorded sniper strike. It's the distance at which British Corporal Craig Harrison eliminated a Taliban machine gun team in Afghanistan in 2009. This is the gun he used: the L115A3 rifle.

Dubbed the Arctic Warfare Super Magnum, it uses a .338 Magnum caliber shell that combines the power and range of the traditional .50 BMG round with the maneuverability of the smaller 7.62 x 51 mm NATO cartridge. While the AWSM's rounds lack the overwhelming impact of their .50 cal brethren, they produce less recoil, report, and muzzle flash when fired (keeping the sniper better concealed) and are still strong enough to penetrate armored glass. They come in FMJ, hollow point, Armor Piercing and Armor Piercing Incendiary varieties.

The bolt-action AWSM has a 27-inch barrel constructed of a proprietary blend of stainless steel with an aluminum chassis and polymer stocksides. Its detachable steel magazine holds five rounds. The rifle is designed for accuracy up to 1,600 yards—wait, so how did Cpl Harrison eliminate the Taliban machine gun team with consecutive shots at nearly that double that distance?

As he described to the Times Online, while providing cover for providing covering fire for an Afghan national army patrol south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province, Afghanistan,

We saw two insurgents running through its [the Taliban compound's] courtyard, one in a black dishdasha, one in green...They came forward carrying a PKM machinegun, set it up and opened fire on the commander's wagon...Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility. I rested the bipod of my weapon on a compound wall and aimed for the gunner firing the machine gun.

The first round hit a machinegunner in the stomach and killed him outright. He went straight down and didn't move...The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too.

At that distance, the rounds took nearly three seconds to hit their targets despite exiting the barrel at three times the speed of sound. The official range per GPS measurement: 2,475 meters, or roughly 27 football fields.

The AWSM has also been credited with another incredible long-distance shot as well. British Corporal Christopher Reynolds killed an Afghan warlord suspected of coordinating attacks against British and American troops at a distance of 1.15 miles (1856 meters) in 2009. It was the previous longest sniper kill in the Afghanistan conflict.

Said Comment;

Bud Light Presents... Real Men of Genius.

(~*Reeeal Mennn of Geniuuussss*~)

Today we salute you, Mr. Unappreciated and Uncredited Spotter Guy.

(~*Mr. Unappreciated and Uncredited Spotter Guy!*~)

Any 12 year old can put the crosshairs on the target. But YOU put the math on the crosshairs, and tell your buddy how to make the clicky adjustments of doom.

(~*Which cargo pocket did I put my TI-89 in?*~)

You do trigonometry in your sleep, calculate windage and distance just by feeling the wind on your eyeball, and routinely make the Coriolis Effect your bitch!

(~*Wicked windy, super far, a buncha mils, send it!"*~)

And do you get mentioned in a single article about the extreme-distance shots, or how hard it is to do ballistics math on a battlefield? Of course not.

(~*They all think "there's an Aaaaapp for that"!*~)

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh Sheldon Cooper of the infantry. Because why get all the girls, glory, and news attention, when you can carry the 1 for your buddy...

(~*Mr. Unappreciated and Uncredited Spottttter Guyyyyy!*~)
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Genius...and so true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I teared up....that is so funny
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It was funny.

Someone needs to actually do it though...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
classic!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In the Corps we used to say that the Spotter was the brains of the outfit, the Sniper was just the monkey pulling the trigger.

BTW, I was a Sniper a lot longer than I was a Spotter.......
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In the Corps we used to say that the Spotter aas the brains of the outfit, the Sniper was just the monkey pulling the trigger.

So the sniper is the otter pulling the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
He sure aint a bear.......
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
At least you don't slap like an otter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
for some reason I think you guys have been listening to a certain morning radio show, but maybe I'm wrong.  

that comment is pure genius though
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the Corps we used to say that the Spotter was the brains of the outfit, the Sniper was just the monkey pulling the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
That's great!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
This is not what I came in expecting!

That is awesome to say the least!

If any corrections need to be made, it would be to make ti more like the old commercials that used the phrase "Real American Heroes" instead of "Real men of Genius"
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#13]
AWESOME!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Especially:

1)  When we were newbies talking to girls as to why the S had  the rifle
while we, the A/S,  humped the prick w/vincent gear.  
A PRC-77 dry-humped by a KY-38 was not a picnic.  da-da-damn, I'm old.
Found a pic:

2)  Our A/S finally found his salt.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially:

1)  When we were newbies talking to girls as to why the S had  the rifle
while we, the A/S,  humped the prick w/vincent gear.  
A PRC-77 dry-humped by a KY-38 was not a picnic.  da-da-damn, I'm old.
Found a pic:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/leighm25a/uniforms400.jpg  

2)  Our A/S finally found his salt.  

Damn, I hated repairing PRC-77s.  I would go out of my way to avoid working on them if there was ANYthing else in the shop to repair.  Haven't seen one in 24 years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Good lord what is that thing on your back!?  Man I'm glad I joined the Infantry in '99 when radio were a bit more mobile.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
That prc-77 pic makes me like my M-60
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good lord what is that thing on your back!?  Man I'm glad I joined the Infantry in '99 when radio were a bit more mobile.

Not me, that's before even my time.

But, I do know what it is like to be the A/S and hump a PRC-77

attached to the secure comm KY-38{means no one can hear what you
are saying unless they have the exact same mods to their KY-38 and same
24hr code.  They will just hear white noise shit.}

The Vincent replaced the KY-38 in the early 80's, I got out in '86.
Can't find a picture of it so it might still be in use or still classified.
It is much smaller and lighter.  And so are the radios.

When you carried that much shit you will understand that standard rations for a mission where
One (1) MRE/Team/Day {yepper, that's Half (1/2) an MRE per man per day} plus all the water you can find.  

God Bless the A/S. {Spotter}

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top