Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 12:50:34 PM EDT
First let me me note I'm not from AZ so I'm not familiar with the laws, hence my question. I usually hike with a small waist pack with water bottles, small essentials and survival tools. I'm not familiar with AZs knife laws but I usually also snap on a small Ontario RAT 3 on the waist belt.

Is that allowed in AZ? Thanks from Texas
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I am concerned, it's required.  I assume you aren't talking about Camelback Mountain or Squaw Peak?  ( that's right, I said Squaw Peak!) In city trails it might be frowned on, but out yonder I have something a little louder and rounder with me as well.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You shouldn't have any problems at all. Have fun on your adventure out here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, I hike and hunt all around AZ with a KaBar machete on my pack, among other blades. No one cares, there are no laws prohibiting it, (unless in a city park) and I think anyone with a brain cell one would recommend carrying a knife that is actually useful.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't conceal it and you won't be in violation of CCW laws.

Be aware that most cities prohibit knives over 3 or 4" in length in city parks, unless they're being used for sandwich making or similar.  I kid you not...check out paragraph C below.

For example, Glendale AZ's City Code, Parks, Weapons prohibited; exceptions:

Sec. 27-46. Weapons prohibited; exceptions.
(a)   No person shall bring into any city park any weapon or firearm, including any handguns, rifles, shotguns, BB guns, CO2 or pellet gun, knives with blades longer than three and one-half (31/2) inches, explosives, fireworks, slingshots or bows and arrows, unless otherwise authorized herein or by written permission of the parks and recreation director.
(b)   Persons who possess a valid concealed weapons permit are permitted to possess a firearm within a city park, unless the city park is operated pursuant to a joint use agreement with a school and the school is in session.
(c)   A knife longer than three and one-half (31/2) inches may be possessed in a city park provided the knife is used solely in connection with serving or preparing food.
(Ord. No. 1944, § 3, 5-27-97; Ord. No. 2155, § 2, 7-25-00)
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as I am concerned, it's required.  I assume you aren't talking about Camelback Mountain or Squaw Peak?  ( that's right, I said Squaw Peak!)

I thought I was the only one that felt like that...

Beware the PC police
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As far as I am concerned, it's required.  I assume you aren't talking about Camelback Mountain or Squaw Peak?  ( that's right, I said Squaw Peak!) In city trails it might be frowned on, but out yonder I have something a little louder and rounder with me as well.

I'd LOVE to carry something louder and rounder but I fly here from Dallas and would rather not go through the flight routine just to bring a handgun with me. No on both Camelback or Squaw.

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the responses! I didn't have a chance to say thanks before because I'm been busy as heck exploring etc. LOL

I have been wearing my sheathe knife on my belt pack just fine and no issues or complaints from folks I have seen on the trails or mountains. We have been hiking a lot and its been a blast!! I am in Flagstaff so have been hiking the local areas and have been up to the Snowbowl area several times already. Also went to the Ben Williams mountain trail and Kendrick Peak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top