Posted: 12/29/2006 6:36:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 12:12:03 PM EDT by mysterkyte]
Anyone know if it was cancelled?
THANX TD!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:23:18 AM EDT
Looks like it is still on.

hickory
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:12:52 PM EDT
Saw a C&E truck there this afternoon and several dealers unloading also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:36:42 AM EDT
Did anybody actually go to the Hickory show this time?  How was it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:46:47 AM EDT
I went. it was "ok"...nothing spectacular and certainly nothing that I couldn't find for less on the Internet.  Most dealers weren't really willing to deal or negotiate.  I wasn't trying to lowball anyone (looking for bulk .223 ammo and a Mossberg 500 S-gun), just trying to get them to come close to Internet prices.  Nobody would budge.

I would like to support the local shop owner, but not at an excessive expense to myself.  These dealers are going to have to realize that the Internet is not going to go away.  It's going to continue growing and expanding as an alternate market for practically everything imaginable.  If local dealers do not recognize this, and either price accordingly...or better yet, take part in it...they're only hurting themselves.

What's hilarious is that I was at one dealer table, when another (apparent) dealer walked up and began talking to him.  It was obvious that they knew one another.  The gentleman that walked up stated that he was pretty much done with Gunshows (setting up tables and such).  He told the dealer that he had moved onto internet sales and had tripled his business in just 6 months.  He said that the hassle of gunshows wasn't worth the profit any longer.  The other dealer's response:  "Screw the internet!  I'm not going down that road...it's too much hassle and I don't want to have to sit in front my computer all day long just to make a sale".  I almost Laughed out loud.  The poor guy has no idea how far behind the curve he is.  I could only walk away at that point.

For me, recent gun shows have simply been opportunities to physically touch and hold the items that I will end up buying on the Internet.  It's unfortunate but true.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:36:14 PM EDT
I got a case of Norinco 223 for $260 a big ammo can and some Mag pull followers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:54:47 PM EDT
Picked up a shoulder holster for my Kahr CW9 and a shoulder rifle sling. Village Gun and Pawn seemed to have the best deals on handguns (Kahr CW9 for $400) and a large selection. A few AR tables were set up. Was looking for a Rock River deal but came home empty handed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:05:53 PM EDT
I have to agree with Ebbsnflows.  I went to the Hickory show a while back, but also came home empty handed.  I've had the same experience at other shows also.  The prices there aren't that great, and nobody seems to want to negotiate.  Somebody there had a gun I wanted for $315 plus tax.  I offered them $300 cash and they wouldn't budge.  Two weeks later, found it online for $250 (except in the finish I preferred).  I actually transfer most of my stuff through a pawn shop, since the gunshop owners get all huffy about someone out-pricing them.  
I want to support local shops, but they sure make it hard when they refuse to come down at ALL.  And I'm not talking about a small price difference, but sometimes $200-- which is a LOT for me.  For example, the dealers and the shows had this Bushmaster for $980 or so, and I found the same thing on the internet for $840.

So sadly, I too usually go to the shows to see the stuff in person before I order it off the internet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:58:26 PM EDT
Guy was walking around with a 16' bushy flat top for $700 that I tried to get for $650. He sold it later for his asking price. Kinda wish I'd picked it up now
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:11:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocketman:
Guy was walking around with a 16' bushy flat top for $700 that I tried to get for $650. He sold it later for his asking price. Kinda wish I'd picked it up now

That is one BIG Bushy

' = foot
" = inch

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:42:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 2:52:11 PM EDT by DNADuster]

Originally Posted By WeeWee:
I got a case of Norinco 223 for $260 a big ammo can and some Mag pull followers.

I saw that big box of Norinco ammo but wasnt familiar with it.
Let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:16:19 PM EDT
It's great ammo I've shot several thousand rounds of it in the past.   I would buy all I can find at $260 a case.
Top Top