Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:55:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 3:19:06 AM EST by Hank_Rearden1]
Hi there you Yankees!

I am a Virginian CCW permit holder. I recently applied for and was granted a PA License to Carry Firearms.

I received the license today. The license is a light weight (approx) 3"x5" piece of paper. The demensions of license are too big to fit in my wallet (without folding it,... unlike my VA CCW permit, which is the size of a credit card).

Two questions: (1) is it okay to lamenate the PA license? (2) May I make a digital scan of the license and reproduce it exactly, but at a smaller demension (i.e. credit card size), and lamenate?

I would also appreciate any additional tips about carrying in PA.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:10:57 PM EST
First off congrats on getting the licence. I folded mine in half and laminated it. As to tips I am certain that US Post Offices, Federal Buildings and Court Houses are off limits to concealed carry. I suspect there may be other no no places and I'm sure others will chime in.

Stay Safe,

Gary
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:23:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 4:24:42 AM EST by Researcher]
When I got mine the courthouse shrunk it down and then laminated it for $5. It is the size of a CC/DL
Congrats on the license.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:42:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 4:44:31 AM EST by clubsoda22]
There is no PA law against carring in post offices and federal buildings. Federal restrictions do not apply as post offices and federal buildings are not neccecarily on federal lands. Most of them are leased.

The only places you may not carry in PA are primary and secondary schools and courthouses. Then there's the obvious areas beyond metal detectors in airports.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:29:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Researcher:
When I got mine the courthouse shrunk it down and then laminated it for $5. It is the size of a CC/DL
Congrats on the license.

Cool, thanks.

Did the courthouse give you the original (large size version) too?

The law states that "the permit" must be carried while carrying. I am wondering if an exact (but smaller) color copy would constitute "the permit". If they also gave you the original, that might suggest that a copy would be okay.

Any LEO opinions?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:02:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By LastDefender:
I folded mine in half and laminated it.

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:14:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
There is no PA law against carring in post offices and federal buildings. Federal restrictions do not apply as post offices and federal buildings are not neccecarily on federal lands. Most of them are leased.

The only places you may not carry in PA are primary and secondary schools and courthouses. Then there's the obvious areas beyond metal detectors in airports.

I believe there is an allowance in the law for 'or other lawful purpose,' which CCW would be, but I personally don't do it.

Courthouses are a definite no-no.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:12:27 AM EST

The law states that "the permit" must be carried while carrying. I am wondering if an exact (but smaller) color copy would constitute "the permit". If they also gave you the original, that might suggest that a copy would be okay.

Shouldn't be a problem doing this, if you have any LE contact they will run a computer check to see if it's a valid permit anyway. Before I became LE, I folded mine in half and laminated it. I'm surprised to hear that they are still issuing the paper permits, all the ones I've seen in the last year or so have been hard plastic, like a credit card with your photo on it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:23:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By 17L2:

Shouldn't be a problem doing this, if you have any LE contact they will run a computer check to see if it's a valid permit anyway. Before I became LE, I folded mine in half and laminated it. I'm surprised to hear that they are still issuing the paper permits, all the ones I've seen in the last year or so have been hard plastic, like a credit card with your photo on it.

Mine is plastic
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:00:40 PM EST
Thanks for all the great info guys...

I went ahead and lamenated mine and folded it so it now fits in my wallet.

Thanks again!!!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:04:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 1:05:14 PM EST by pyro6988]
I wanted to inform the PA CCW holders. Some counties are currently issueing a new style liscence. It is the very similar to a drivers liscense and includes a color photo. I have one the new ones.

ETA: 17L2 beat me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:11:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By pyro6988:
I wanted to inform the PA CCW holders. Some counties are currently issueing a new style liscence. It is the very similar to a drivers liscense and includes a color photo. I have one the new ones.

ETA: 17L2 beat me.

Mine has my photo taped to it (got mine through Center County Sheriff), kind of low tech, but now that it's lamenitated, it is functional.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:58:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 1:58:34 PM EST by Researcher]
My buddy got one of the new ones from Washington county. Mine is the other/older style like in the picture on packing.org
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:39:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 2:42:20 PM EST by MattARHBAR]
+2 for folding and laminating. The local sheriff told me that the original and NOT a copy must be carried.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:27:10 PM EST
Deleware county has plastic. Mine is from Chester county & it came big and laminated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:25:58 PM EST
[Start Mister Spock]
Interesting.
[/Mister Spock]

My CCW is laminated. And it fits inside my wallet perfectly.

As far as its size: It is about 1/16 of an inch thinner and 1/8 of an inch shorter than a credit card.

And I never go anywhere without it. I may leave my American Excess card at home, but never my CCW.

And after re-reading the other posts; my card has a color picture of me. I had to look to check this last out. I believe the picture last time was B&W.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 9:27:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By MattARHBAR:
+2 for folding and laminating. The local sheriff told me that the original and NOT a copy must be carried.

Then have your local sheriff shrink it down. I had them do it up in Crawford county, slap a pic on it that they took of me and laminate it for $5. When I went in to have them correct a mistake on it they used white out on the copy they keep on file and photocopied it and gave it to me. Not sure how that works out with having to carry the original permit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 3:50:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2005 3:51:01 PM EST by pstew]
I got my new permit from chester county last week. I went in on Wednesday, turned in the form, they took a digital Picture and I paid $40.

I got the new permit in the mail on Friday.

Less than 48 hours. Pretty impressive.

Anyways the permit is the same size as my drivers license.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 8:26:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By LarryLove:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 2:54:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/25/2005 2:54:48 AM EST by AR_Shorty]
Mine was issued laminated and it is roughly the size of a credit card.
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 5:11:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By LarryLove:

+1

+1

I had it laminated at Office Max and brought the SEC with me.

You shoulda seen the clerk look at the blind guy with a Seeing Eye Cat getting a carry permit laminated!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 4:24:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

I believe there is an allowance in the law for 'or other lawful purpose,' which CCW would be, but I personally don't do it.

Could somebody sort this out? Seems this should be made clear when you get a permit
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:44:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bugler:

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Could somebody sort this out? Seems this should be made clear when you get a permit

When I put in for mine I entered the boxes that read Protection and Sporting. My card says Protection. When I asked, they said I could only take one.

Why don't you do the same?
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 1:20:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/27/2005 1:21:48 AM EST by DDiggler]
§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

So it's illegal (like possessing a pre-ban during the AWB was illegal), but a defense if you are carrying for a lawful purpose. Of course, it will be up to the judge to determine what is lawful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:08:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR_Shorty:
Mine was issued laminated and it is roughly the size of a credit card.

I gather that different jurisdictions within PA issue different permits? Mine from PA is 3"x5" too.

I would NEVER attempt to carry in a post office, other federal building, or court house of any kind. EVER. Don't do it. You will get arrested and you will lose your CCW/CHP/license.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:19:46 PM EST

clubsoda22, Why don't you open carry into a post office and get back to me on how it went, after you get out of jail. Federal property is off limits.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:36:15 AM EST
I got mine from the Lehigh County Courthouse and it is the same size and material as a driver's liscense or my military ID...a hard plastic card. However, I am familiar with the ones you are talking about, a buddy of mine got his from Bucks county and got a paper one.
Top Top