Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 11:00:21 AM EDT
My dad and I were talking last night and I brought up maybe him and I going on a trip to the above city next year.

Good City? What's there to visit besides the obvious(Graceland)?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My dad and I were talking last night and I brought up maybe him and I going on a trip to the above city next year.

TIA

I am going there this weekend I will brief you when I get back.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

I am going there this weekend I will brief you when I get back.  

Thanks Sig.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Save your money and go elsewhere, nothing really worth seeing here unless you are feeling multicultural.  When it comes to visiting TN you are better off visiting the pretty side of the state.  The Chattanooga area is always a blast to visit when it is warmer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Save your money and go elsewhere

+1000000

Don't go to Memphis if you have any other options for a vacation spot.  Unless you must go to Memphis to visit family members you cannot visit somewhere else you will be making a mistake.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
mmmm, ribs from Central BBQ...

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
oh come on huys, memphis ain't that bad. as long as you don't mind high crime, the barbecue is really good.

Hey Mister Spelling Nazi, you spelled guys with an H.

alright, fine. you got me. -Hank

Thanks for the advice Hank and the rest.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
NUKE MEMPHISS! ps There is no good Bar b Que in TN. Pig meat does not count. Jacks in Nashville has acceptable imatation TX Bar b Que.  White Bluff has Carls Perfect PIg and its dang good eaten But its not Bar b Que.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ps There is no good Bar b Que in TN. Pig meat does not count. Jacks in Nashville has acceptable imatation TX Bar b Que.  White Bluff has Carls Perfect PIg and its dang good eaten But its not Bar b Que.

Somebody get a rope...

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Best thing about Memphis is that it is 30 minutes from Tunica if you like gambling.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
NUKE MEMPHISS! ps There is no good Bar b Que in TN. Pig meat does not count. Jacks in Nashville has acceptable imatation TX Bar b Que.  White Bluff has Carls Perfect PIg and its dang good eaten But its not Bar b Que.

Pffftt!!!! I scoff at your -so called "TX Bar-b-que" .

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time .
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Memphis should be given to Arkansas where it belongs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
If you feel like slumming for a little while come on down! Memphis will not disapoint.

Let's watch the misspelling 'Memphis', yes? -Hank
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Woot! My first post that was edited by a mod!  At least it wasn't bad

Thanks guys for the responses.  

FWIW, I'm from Chicago where there are lots of ghettoes so if I stick to the good parts of town I should be fine right?

Thanks again guys.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Woot! My first post that was edited by a mod!  At least it wasn't bad

Thanks guys for the responses.  

FWIW, I'm from Chicago where there are lots of ghettoes so if I stick to the good parts of town I should be fine right?

Thanks again guys.  

memphis has it's good and bad, just like everywhere else. just don't walk around at night by yourself and don't get lost, and you should be fine.

Thanks Hank.  

Isn't there some place out in Memphis called Chuckalissa or Chuckalussa?  I'll have to google it, but I was watching COPS that was filmed in Memphis and there was a sign that said "Tour Memphis" and it said Chuckalissa or Chuckalussa on it.

Edit-I found about Chucalissa-it's a archealogical museum and Indian Village.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Memphis, TN-AR-MS *
Residents of Memphis contend with the nation's second-highest violent crime rate. In addition, the rate of robbery and burglary are among the nation's highest.

* The following cities did not report crime statistics to the FBI in 2002, so 2002 rates were estimated based on previous years' local statistics and current year's city, state and county data: Nassau-Suffolk, NY; Memphis, TN; Monroe, LA; Wheeling, WV-OH; Pittsfield, MA.

It's a target rich environment! Come on down! Seriously, there isn't a lot to do here you can't do somewhere else. Of course somewhere else your car will probably be there unbroken into when you get back and you won't have to carry so much ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Its not so bad as long as you remember its just naturally seedy. If you accept the seedy theres nothing TOO bad about it. lol

seriously, theres enough here to keep ya busy for the weekend...

get some ribs at the rendevous downtown.

Spend a Fri/Sat night on beale and get your drink on and check out some of the finnnne lil booty down there...

Head to platinum plus definetly one of the best tit*y clubs in the country...

go and visit elvis land...strange but interesting...

hit sun studios...

uhhhhh..def. check the zoo. its pretty nice for such a small city

theres plenty more and i'll think on it and try to add some...

BTW i'm from the dolton/riverdale area on the southside....it ain't chicago here but it sure is cheap and the winters don't suck nearly as much.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its not so bad as long as you remember its just naturally seedy. If you accept the seedy theres nothing TOO bad about it. lol

seriously, theres enough here to keep ya busy for the weekend...

get some ribs at the rendevous downtown.

Spend a Fri/Sat night on beale and get your drink on and check out some of the finnnne lil booty down there...

Head to platinum plus definetly one of the best tit*y clubs in the country...

go and visit elvis land...strange but interesting...

hit sun studios...

uhhhhh..def. check the zoo. its pretty nice for such a small city

theres plenty more and i'll think on it and try to add some...

BTW i'm from the dolton/riverdale area on the southside....it ain't chicago here but it sure is cheap and the winters don't suck nearly as much.

I'm sure that they don't suck so badly and you're probably used to the "seediness"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
How about Beale Street?  Is it mainly a bar area or musicians as well?

Would it be good to fly in and rent a car and drive it around? How's traffic?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Here's my $.02...

I think you'd have a good time visiting Memphis.  There are some fun things to do/see such as Beale St., the Rendezvous restaurant, Graceland, etc.  HOWEVER, there are some precautions that you should follow:
1) Don't rent a car.  Memphis drivers are assholes & traffic can be very bad.  There is also a lot of construction going on downtown & navigating can be difficult even for a local.  Also, you don't want to take the risk of getting lost & ending up in Orange Mound where your life is in jeopardy (seriously!).  Go with cabs or a driving service even though you'll spend more money;
2) Do not go anywhere downtown (where Beale St. is located) by foot that doesn't have a large amount of pedestrian traffic.  We have lots of beggars, bums, crackheads, gangbangers, ho's, and other dregs of society that just love to hang out on downtown's side streets & you have a 75% chance of being asked for money or just outright mugged;
3) If you have a distinctive "yankee" accent, do not act pompous or arrogant at any bars or clubs.  You will have a problem with someone or somebody(s) and the cops will take you to 201 Poplar (aka--the jail) bloody regardless of your claims of innocence;

Have a good time & be careful.  The bar/music scene on Beale St. is really good & you should be fine if you follow the common-sense advise shared here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's my $.02...

I think you'd have a good time visiting Memphis.  There are some fun things to do/see such as Beale St., the Rendezvous restaurant, Graceland, etc.  HOWEVER, there are some precautions that you should follow:
1) Don't rent a car.  Memphis drivers are assholes & traffic can be very bad.  There is also a lot of construction going on downtown & navigating can be difficult even for a local.  Also, you don't want to take the risk of getting lost & ending up in Orange Mound where your life is in jeopardy (seriously!).  Go with cabs or a driving service even though you'll spend more money;
2) Do not go anywhere downtown (where Beale St. is located) by foot that doesn't have a large amount of pedestrian traffic.  We have lots of beggars, bums, crackheads, gangbangers, ho's, and other dregs of society that just love to hang out on downtown's side streets & you have a 75% chance of being asked for money or just outright mugged;
3) If you have a distinctive "yankee" accent, do not act pompous or arrogant at any bars or clubs.  You will have a problem with someone or somebody(s) and the cops will take you to 201 Poplar (aka--the jail) bloody regardless of your claims of innocence;

Have a good time & be careful.  The bar/music scene on Beale St. is really good & you should be fine if you follow the common-sense advise shared here.

I'm 19 and neither me or my dad(who I'd be going with) drink so I wouldn't be going to clubs or bars.  

I'm from Chicago...does that qualify as having a Yankee accent?  

I figure it's better to stay on main streets and be fine right? I have gone to downtown Chicago(which probably doesn't really compare) and found that main streets are better for navigating on foot.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's my $.02...

I'm 19 and neither me or my dad(who I'd be going with) drink so I wouldn't be going to clubs or bars.  

I figure it's better to stay on main streets and be fine right? I have gone to downtown Chicago(which probably doesn't really compare) and found that main streets are better for navigating on foot.

Thanks.

Eh, taxis are infrequent and stupid expensive, i'd get a car, maybe with a GPS or something. Yeah the drivers blow around here, but if you can deal with the Ryan then its all cake. just remember they can't drive for shite.

as to beale, its mostly bars, however you can go to some i'm sure even being underage...

Except for the dance clubs, most of the blues clubs don't check your id unless you drink. Can definetly go catch some tunes that way...

Rum boogie, BB Kings, and some of the other ones would probably let you in, but go earlier....they block the whole street off late and you have to show an ID to even get on Beale.

as to the rest...what part of town you plannin on staying? downtown? Could suggest a hotel maybe...There is a hampton right at Beale and Third, don't know how pricey it is though...its right in the middle of things though thats for certain.

Here is some beale info...

www.bealestreet.com/home.html

If you stay downtown, you can hop a trolley and get to most of the stuff down there...Just make sure you keep where the people are..there ARE a lot of trash wandering around..

Stuff to do....

Graceland
Memphis Zoo
Civil Rights Museum
Metal Museum (Never been, have heard good things though)
Sun Studios
Beale Street
Rendevous for BBQ
Can Catch a decent burger at Huey's downtown..its cheap anways and they do have live music on the weekends sometimes..

Guns and ammo on summer? (expensive and rude, but man they have a good selection)

anyone else have anything??

Maybe a riverboat cruise on one of the paddle boats?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's my $.02...

Thanks.

Eh, taxis are infrequent and stupid expensive, i'd get a car, maybe with a GPS or something. Yeah the drivers blow around here, but if you can deal with the Ryan then its all cake. just remember they can't drive for shite.

as to beale, its mostly bars, however you can go to some i'm sure even being underage...

Except for the dance clubs, most of the blues clubs don't check your id unless you drink. Can definetly go catch some tunes that way...

Rum boogie, BB Kings, and some of the other ones would probably let you in, but go earlier....they block the whole street off late and you have to show an ID to even get on Beale.

as to the rest...what part of town you plannin on staying? downtown? Could suggest a hotel maybe...There is a hampton right at Beale and Third, don't know how pricey it is though...its right in the middle of things though thats for certain.

Here is some beale info...

www.bealestreet.com/home.html

If you stay downtown, you can hop a trolley and get to most of the stuff down there...Just make sure you keep where the people are..there ARE a lot of trash wandering around..

Stuff to do....

Graceland
Memphis Zoo
Civil Rights Museum
Metal Museum (Never been, have heard good things though)
Sun Studios
Beale Street
Rendevous for BBQ
Can Catch a decent burger at Huey's downtown..its cheap anways and they do have live music on the weekends sometimes..

Guns and ammo on summer? (expensive and rude, but man they have a good selection)

anyone else have anything??

Maybe a riverboat cruise on one of the paddle boats?

Haven't even thought about hotel just yet...I looked online and there are hotels downtown, I imagine they'd be more expensive than staying in the burbs or would it be a good idea to even get a hotel over the border in Mississippi?

The museums sound like fun...and a boat cruise might be cool!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not sure really, it depends on whats going on. Yes you could get a hotel in MS though (I live in southaven, MS) and you'd be about 20 minutes from downtown tops. I would suggest the Drury Inn in southaven as your best option on that one...its centrally located in southaven, plenty of nearby food (almost all chain restaurants). If you DO stay downtown, there are a bunch that are newer and centrally located...stuff on main st. Since you aren't going to be drinking and clubbing and the like, southaven is probably a great option to save a few bucks...taxes are a lot lower thats for dayum sure..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#28]
When I was in college at UT several years back, there were tons of guys from Memphis there. They would go on and on about how great Memphis was and it was "the" place . Funny, when it came time to graduate, most of them stayed here in Knoxville and NEVER went back . That kind of confused me until I actually went to Memphis .
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm not sure really, it depends on whats going on. Yes you could get a hotel in MS though (I live in southaven, MS) and you'd be about 20 minutes from downtown tops. I would suggest the Drury Inn in southaven as your best option on that one...its centrally located in southaven, plenty of nearby food (almost all chain restaurants). If you DO stay downtown, there are a bunch that are newer and centrally located...stuff on main st. Since you aren't going to be drinking and clubbing and the like, southaven is probably a great option to save a few bucks...taxes are a lot lower thats for dayum sure..

How about Olive Branch? There is a Comfort Inn and a Best Western in Olive Branch IIRC.  

It's not too incredibly hot in the springtime right? My parents went to Nashville a few years back and it was June when they went IIRC.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#30]
OB is fine too. its right up the road. It is a bit more of a drive to get into memphis though. In southaven you're right on a main highway that goes into memphis (thats why my commute to downtown is 20 min.) as opposed to the 30+ it would be on OB.

As to spring, no its not too bad. rainy but the temps are usually reasonable. Its been unusually warm this year though..the high today i believe is in the mid 60's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
OB is fine too. its right up the road. It is a bit more of a drive to get into memphis though. In southaven you're right on a main highway that goes into memphis (thats why my commute to downtown is 20 min.) as opposed to the 30+ it would be on OB.

As to spring, no its not too bad. rainy but the temps are usually reasonable. Its been unusually warm this year though..the high today i believe is in the mid 60's.

Thanks for all the help.  I'll have to look on a map but I thought SH and OB were off I-55?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Southaven/Horn lake are right off of 55. OB is actually 15-20 minutes east of I55 depending on traffic. Its on HWY 78 which is very much a surface road in the hood when it goes to memphis.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Southaven/Horn lake are right off of 55. OB is actually 15-20 minutes east of I55 depending on traffic. Its on HWY 78 which is very much a surface road in the hood when it goes to memphis.

Thanks again.  You've been a great help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Carry a gun.

Everywhere.

Legally or not.

I'm not kidding.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#35]
You live in Chicago right?

Go to Cabrini Green, eat a barbecue sandwich, go home.

It will be the same as seeing Memphis.

In fact you are probably safer in
Cabrini Green.

Born and raised Memphian here.
Go to Knoxville, Chattanooga, or even Nash Vegas if you want to see
nice cities in Tennessee.

Memphis is the sphincter of the state.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You live in Chicago right?

Go to Cabrini Green, eat a barbecue sandwich, go home.

It will be the same as seeing Memphis.

In fact you are probably safer in
Cabrini Green.

Born and raised Memphian here.
Go to Knoxville, Chattanooga, or even Nash Vegas if you want to see
nice cities in Tennessee.

Memphis is the sphincter of the state.

Indeed.  I went to an out-of-state university and paid more money to avoid Memphis.  Its a wart on the ass of an otherwise fine state.

If you insist on visiting, check out the Memphis Belle exhibit.  Graceland is overrated.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...If you insist on visiting, check out the Memphis Belle exhibit...

He'd have to go to Dayton, Ohio to see the Belle, unfortunately.  

National Museum of the United States Air Force - Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

HKO

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...If you insist on visiting, check out the Memphis Belle exhibit...

He'd have to go to Dayton, Ohio to see the Belle, unfortunately.  

National Museum of the United States Air Force - Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

HKO

Well, then.  When was it moved?  I knew they were threatening to move it due to lack of a proper facility, but its been a few years since I was there.  Its a shame, it was one of the few things worth making a trip into the city to see.  I have been inside it also (knew one of the local Association members who took me inside) - its a lot smaller inside than it looks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

If you insist on visiting, check out the Memphis Belle exhibit.  

Even the Belle woke up and knew enough to leave Memphis.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Well, then.  When was it moved?  

August 14, 2004
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you insist on visiting, check out the Memphis Belle exhibit.  

Even the Belle woke up and knew enough to leave Memphis.

True. Moving out of Memphis is the best thing I ever did.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top