Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2011 5:56:42 PM EDT
I've heard from some that you have to be 100 feet from another house. I've heard from others 100 yards, and still others, 500 feet.

What is the actual legal statute? Or is there one?  I'll be pretty pissed off if I can't legally shoot in my backyard when I buy my house...

I just want to make sure, that if there IS a legal statute, that I'm following it. Should I call the local Sheriff? Or State police post?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Only while hunting it's 150yds (450feet)

While target shooting, I've never heard of any distance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard not in city limits, and 500" from a road, but I really don't know if there is a minimum distance from another house.

It would probably have a lot to do with whether or not the neighbors end up complaining about noise.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have heard not in city limits, and 500" from a road, but I really don't know if there is a minimum distance from another house.

It would probably have a lot to do with whether or not the neighbors end up complaining about noise.

Oh.... they'll complain That's pretty much guaranteed Of course, once I have the money to silence everything, it won't be as much of an issue.

I just want to make sure my ass is covered, when I open up full auto with the slide fire stock. The cops have come out to the range at my dad's property before, but never really gave a shit, everything went well. They checked to see that we had a backstop, and the most recent time, the deputy asked if he could look at my slidefire stock, as he wanted to buy one himself Thinking back on it, I should have gotten his number, and invited him back out to plink with us

But this was at 15 acres, the house I'm buying has only 3 acres. I just want to make sure that all the neighbors CAN do is bitch and whine.

HELL, when they DO complain about the noise, and they will, probably the first time I start shooting full auto. They MIGHT complain when I plink with the 50 BMG, I don't know.

I have considered the idea of inviting all you bastards over with your full auto toys, and doing volley fire from sunup, to sundown. If they raise a big stink, and call the deputies. Kind of a "you want to whine? I'll GIVE you something to whine about!"

YES, I'm a dick like that

I just want to make sure that I have a backstop, and pretty much ensure that the neighbors have no legal leg to stand on. Part of the whole reason I'm buying the house and land, is so that I can shoot in my backyard. My Dad's range will still be within 4-5 miles, so closer than it is right now, but I want to be able to no longer have to go drive, to shoot.

Assuming that all I need is a clear lane, and a good backstop, then I should be ready to go within a couple weeks of moving in. Might have to throw a rangewarming party Once I move in, I'll have to cut maybe an acre worth of trees, to make the lane, and then borrow a backhoe, or bulldozer, to build up a good backstop. I'm figuring at LEAST 15-20 feet high, just to be on the safe side. Perhaps, somewhere down the road, I can plant pine trees, or build a heavy duty fence along the property line, to keep more of my noise to myself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There are minimal distances to roads and buildings -yours included- so you may find it's not possible to shoot on your property legally.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
When I lived in Sumpter township (SW corner of Wayne county )  I would shoot all the time with out any issues.  Mostly handguns, 9mm and 454.  All I owed was 1 acer but it backed up to 40 acres of vacant land.  You never know, it just depends on you neighbors.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot on two acres and been to township and county meetings about my home range. There is no state regs on a private shooting range . My property is zone A2 and a shooting range is a permitted land use. I had some neighbors complain about my land use mostly because they wanted something to bitch about. I had the police out on five different calls and the last one was I was shooting the land owners trees behind me.
After the officers figured out they were being played and used to harass me they don't come out anymore. I've aways tried to be respectful when shooting if anyone was outside on either side.

Now that the complainers kids are old enough to shoot they use my range to sight their guns in for deer season.  Funny how that works
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
From the DNR

Safety Zones Around Buildings

Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363-71467––,00.html

From the MCL:

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.40111 Taking animal from in or upon vehicle; transporting or possessing firearm in or upon vehicle; transporting bow in or upon vehicle; written permission to hunt or discharge firearm.

Sec. 40111.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not take an animal from in or upon a vehicle.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case, carried in the trunk of a vehicle, or unloaded in a motorized boat.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this part, a person shall not transport or have in possession a bow in or upon a vehicle, unless the bow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

(4) A person shall not hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence, or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter, or occupant of the property.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28dz4gg5uc21wai4u1yo24l255%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-324-40111&query=on&highlight=150%20AND%20yards

Looks like the DNR and the MCL disagree about shooting ranges. The law clearly states A person shall not hunt or discharge a firearm etc... I'm not sure how to explain the DNR saying shooting ranges are ok when the law states hunting OR discharge of a firearm. Be careful of an overzealous prosecutor.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So at a STATE level, I am good to go. Now I need to doublecheck with the county. I know the Township doesn't give a shit... and fucking with one of their own firefighters would be rather counterproductive.... especially when one of the other firefighters is on the Township board, as well

Guess I could call the Sherrif? He seems to be VERY pro gun in Midland County, and has already told me to get off my ass, get a silencer paid for, and bring him my Form 4

I would imagine he'll tell me I'm good to go, but I just want to make certain.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I dont remember seeing anything in regards to target shooting in state law. However, cities, townships, and other fifedoms may pass restrictions. You will have to do some digging to insure you are on the right side of the law in whatever area you are buying in.

that's what you have to check into, i did before i put my range in. if your in the county check the township restrictions .
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Only while hunting it's 150yds (450feet)

While target shooting, I've never heard of any distance.

This.  If your just target shooting. There are no distance laws. I have been through this with neighbors. I had to have the sheriff call the DNR to confirm I was in the right to be shooting on my  property when they called the police.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'm good to go

Now I just need to build the range.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe plant some evergreens in between to reduce a little sound?

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.... they'll complain That's pretty much guaranteed Of course, once I have the money to silence everything, it won't be as much of an issue.

Sooooooo, When are you planning on robbing that bank?  There is no way your gonna afford that many silencers for that many different caliber's and toys......  All you need to check is on local ordinances for a private range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sooooooo, When are you planning on robbing that bank?  There is no way your gonna afford that many silencers for that many different caliber's and toys......  All you need to check is on local ordinances for a private range.

LOL!!! You forget.... I don't have kids... and am therefore able to have nice things, and money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing of note.  Even if you are within the law across the board doesn't mean that someone can't give you a headache through civil litigation.  Almost been there, may not be over yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One thing of note.  Even if you are within the law across the board doesn't mean that someone can't give you a headache through civil litigation.  Almost been there, may not be over yet.

Care to elaborate? You can IM or email, if you want. Or share with the group
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Where I live I am well within my rights to shoot.  Even if the distance rule applied I would be set to go.  I have a great berm so on and so forth.  I also happen to live near a private lake with what appear to be from the outside a fairly wealthy home owners association.  All of the people from the lake that have stopped by to see what all the noise was about have walked away feeling as though it was not a problem.  Most were even surprised that I was extending an olive branch.  I explained to all that if I was disturbing to just stop by and chat with me about it.  I didn't want to be an ass and "my property get off, I will do as I please".  I explained that I was willing to work things out and be a good neighbor.  One such person was concerned about their grand children playing outside when they were over on Wednesdays.  I explained that I had no problem laying low on Wednesdays.  I even offered to have them stop back and we could set-up a time for them to learn to shoot.  I have told all that stop by that under arrangement that they would be welcome to enjoy the range.  Most everyone walked away feeling like things were worked out.  There has to be at least one in every crowd though.  One guy on the lake stopped by and did not want to work anything out.  He said no shooting period.  He called the cops several times.  Cops would come out and explain that they knew I wasn't doing anything wrong, but asked that I keep it quite for a bit to save them a drive back out.  After a while though they just stopped coming.  Then the guy sends a registered letter stating that he knew I was well within the law to do what I was doing but that did not stop him from pursuing civil litigation.  He is indeed free to do so.  Why do you think you hear so many stories about lawsuits being won over things like coffee that is to hot.  None the less the letter also included information on lead contamination etc.  It also made mention that the noise was preventing him from enjoying his home and that it was likely also impacting his home value.  The sad part is civil litigation can almost turn into a victory through attrition situation.  (He who runs out of money first loses.)  This is not to say that I have stopped shooting.  So far he has not pursued anything.  As the old saying goes...You may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#19]
ck with the township you live in, that's where it will be...
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd swear that everybody around me shoots at some time or another.  Guy 2 doors north shoots off the back deck of his house, no more than 50 ft from the next house.

My 100yd range, while still a work in progress is ~200yds behind my house.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice setup

I've started clearing trees, and met my new neighbor yesterday. He's an Army Vet as well, and liked the idea of being able to come over and shoot with me. He showed me the survey stakes, and it looks like my range will be able to be longer than I initially thought. I should be able to get close to 200 yards. I'm thinking I may also dump a load of dirt or sand right at the treeline for a pistol range, so I don't have to walk all the way down.

If you want firewood... I HAVE PLENTY.... Just swing on up and cut some trees down I've got one buddy from the FD who is cutting up about a dozen trees I felled the other day, and I should be marking trees after work today.

I figure I'll make it about 30-50 feet wide, and roughly 200 yards back (whatever the property line is.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm shooting for 30 ft wide cleared also, but I'm leaving a couple of trees within that 30 ft for obstacles.  As you can see, the lane is clear from the bench to the berm.

The wall was put up to essentially cut the dirt I need in half.  It's also there so that the neighbors and such see that I'm obviously trying to be safe.  The lumber really won't stop much in the rifle department, but I doubt most know that.

The wall is 8.5ft above grade.  I want another 2ft of dirt on the pile you see.  I just ran out with what I had readily available on my land.

I'm going to gravel from the berm out 25yds, so that I can find my damn brass eaiser.  I'm also going to gravel the shooting bench area.

Once I get the lane leveled and drain tile put in, I'm going to gravel a walk on one side or the other to the berm.  Then some shade grass for the rest.

Once all that's done, I have to get into a routine of spraying for poison ivy and mosquitos/ticks.

Like I said, a work in progress.  I can go back and shoot anytime I want.  Right now there's a few things to work around.  I hope to fix all of that this spring.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I need a bulldozer... anybody got one I can play with?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need a bulldozer... anybody got one I can play with?

Buy this: http://saginaw.craigslist.org/grd/2745611813.html

When you are done with it, sell it.

Raffi

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#25]
When i was i kid i was told by the westland police as long as the porjectile did not leave the property i was fine,
and that is what he also told the kid across the street who tried to get me in trouble. Because his mom and dad
let him have a BB gun, now i live in northern michigan in the woods and it dont mater.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top