Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
I know you have heard this a few times already from me, But I am excited as hell. Me and the wife are making a drive up there in 15 days to scope out some areas. We are going to drive up to Portland and look at the surrounding areas and work our way back south. Can you recommend a good place for me to take the wife out to dinner in or around Portland. I am still taking recommendations of great areas to raise my two children. We are looking up to 60 miles out from Portland in any direction for a home and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also,
I would like to bring some sort of protection with us for this road trip. I havent had time to check out the laws while driving. I dont need to have a loaded handgun while driving of course. I would like to have it with me while we are staying at a best western or where ever we end up. So while I have it in the car the pistol needs to be in a locked case and ammo seperate like down here in California ???. I will do this either way just to avoid any issues. But I was just wondering. I know. I need to do some reading on the laws up there.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:28:43 PM EDT
Well if you wanna spend soem dough Ruth's Chris steakhouse downtown is REAL good. THen there is the Roadhouse in Gresham but might be kind of hard to find if you are a newbie to the area. I'll let some of the Portald residents do the directing to a good eatery.

On the gun issue...you are right. Locked and out of your reach with the ammo stored separately. Big emphasis on the out of your reach part.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:39:30 PM EDT
What kind of restaurants do you like?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:46:36 PM EDT
What kind of places are you looking to scope out?

If you’re looking to buy check out:

rmls.com the Portland area MLS

And wvmls.com the Salem and surrounding area MLS

I’m a Broker with RE/MAX in Salem, IM me if I can be of help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
Just north of Portland is the quaint little town of Vancouver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:56:54 PM EDT
I'm not sure what type of place to live you are looking for. Here is a sweeping generality, that some in the group will probably argue with, as there are always exceptions.

Because of land use plans and laws, things are a little strange here (IMHO). Local zoning and planning boards have trouple meeting the state mandates and making the people happy.

If you want a new house, you can only find small yards (1/4 acre) inside city limits.
The older the house, the large the yards that are available for a reasonable price.
If you want a LOT of land, you must farm it to qualify for the tax defferement, otherwise you can't afford the taxes.

I tried to find 2-3 acres in the Salem school district to build a house. It's almost impossible (few choices, and very very expensive).

Of course, 'expensive' is relative. If you come from SoCal, you can live in a mansion here!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 3:42:43 PM EDT by Hartmann]
If you're willing to live up to 60 miles out of the city, you can find pretty much whatever you want here. What kind of place are you looking for?

For a great place to raise kids, check out Sherwood (where I live). It is close enough to the city (~30 min drive) but far enough away that it is really quiet and nice. Everyone has kids here, the infrastructure is good and getting better, and it close to an awesome gun range

But you know what? There're a LOT of places within 60 miles of Portland like that. As long as you can stay employed you'll be able to find what you like. Just remember to bring your guns and vote right.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:45:05 PM EDT
My wife and her Real Estate partner are excellent buyers agents. They have even helped former California ARFCOM'ers become Oregon ARFCOM'ers. She found the last CA ARFCOM'er a nice place that met all the buyers criteria; including being located 10 minutes from one of Oregon's premier shooting facilities.

As far as restaurants go Portland's best keep secret is the many excellent restaurants. The bad news is if you ask 10 people for a recommendation you'll get 13 different choices. The good news is you'll probably love any of them.

If you end up dining in Northwest Portland stop in at the Caffe Mingo for some damn good Italian. Put your name in at Caffe Mingo, tell them your going to Serratto's bar two doors down, and they'll call over to the bar when your table is ready. Now you can play it like a native. Finish the evening with desert at Papa Haydn.

Caffe Mingo

Papa Haydn
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:14 PM EDT
Come to Hood River... Great place to raise the chitlans!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:40:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

OMG.......did you just type what I think you just typed????

You feelin' OK?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:51:33 PM EDT
Ya.. We have already put his guy thru the "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU" drill and besides, more gun frendly people is a good thing....unless the are windsurfers... then they must die
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 6:47:57 AM EDT by munkalido]
Originally Posted By Hartmann:

For a great place to raise kids, check out Sherwood (where I live). It is close enough to the city (~30 min drive) but far enough away that it is really quiet and nice. Everyone has kids here, the infrastructure is good and getting better, and it close to an awesome gun range

[/uote]

Great. Getting another person to move there to fuck up my exit 286 and have traffic in Grahams Ferry, creating a traffic jam turing onto Tonquin Rd. I mean it's bad enough with all the GD dump trucks!!

eta:
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT by Hartmann]

Great. Getting another person to move there to fuck up my exit 286 and have traffic in Grahams Ferry, creating a traffic jam turing onto Tonquin Rd. I mean it's bad enough with all the GD dump trucks!!

No kidding my friend, this needs to be solved. That is why I am trying to be active in the I-5 to 99W connector project that will ideally smooth the traffic flow out. If you think the trucks are bad on I-5 you should try driving down Tualatin-Sherwood Road (exit 289) during work hours. I see road crews out there constantly patching the gaping holes dug out by the trucks.

Anyway, it's a good place to live.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:16:08 AM EDT
For a nice mellow night out try going to a McMenamins theatre pub. They're old renovated movie theatres that also sell beer and pizza (both VERY good) for you to enjoy while watching a movie. It's only $3.00 per person for admission.

There are several different McMenamin theatres throughout the Portland metro area, but my favorite is the Bagdhad movie house. It's an old two storie movie theatre that was built in the 30's that has been restored; very classy and historic. The Kennedy School Moviehouse is also pretty neat. They bought out an old elementary school and turned the classrooms into hotel rooms and the gymnasium houses the movie screen. Instead of movie seats, the gym floor is filled with couches/overstuffed chairs/loveseats and coffetables. Just find whatever piece of furniture looks most comfy and sit back and enjoy the beer and the movie.

You can find more at www.mcmenamins.com/
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:54:36 AM EDT
For a nice mellow night out try going to a McMenamins theatre pub. They're old renovated movie theatres that also sell beer and pizza (both VERY good) for you to enjoy while watching a movie. It's only $3.00 per person for admission.

There are several different McMenamin theatres throughout the Portland metro area, but my favorite is the Bagdhad movie house. It's an old two storie movie theatre that was built in the 30's that has been restored; very classy and historic. The Kennedy School Moviehouse is also pretty neat. They bought out an old elementary school and turned the classrooms into hotel rooms and the gymnasium houses the movie screen. Instead of movie seats, the gym floor is filled with couches/overstuffed chairs/loveseats and coffetables. Just find whatever piece of furniture looks most comfy and sit back and enjoy the beer and the movie.

I like Edgefield out on Halsey (troutdale). I think it's called PowerStation ??.. Nice atmosphere! They also have a theatre
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 9:38:52 PM EDT by The_Lynch_Family]
Ya, Ruths steak house is very good. I went to one down in San Diego. Pretty pricey.

Originally Posted By YANKEEFAN:
Well if you wanna spend soem dough Ruth's Chris steakhouse downtown is REAL good. THen there is the Roadhouse in Gresham but might be kind of hard to find if you are a newbie to the area. I'll let some of the Portald residents do the directing to a good eatery.

On the gun issue...you are right. Locked and out of your reach with the ammo stored separately. Big emphasis on the out of your reach part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Italian,steak house,. I am steak and potatoes kind of guy. The wife likes Sushi once in a while.

posted by tReznr:
What kind of restaurants do you like?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are looking to find a place with 2-5 acres if possible. We will be first time home buyers. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the links

posted by ch139:
What kind of places are you looking to scope out?

If you’re looking to buy check out:

rmls.com the Portland area MLS

And wvmls.com the Salem and surrounding area MLS

I’m a Broker with RE/MAX in Salem, IM me if I can be of help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. Sheeit, I wish I could live in a mansion. Everything is so expensive out here its so hard to survive. We wont be selling a house here for a zillion dollars and coming up there to raise your housing prices as some say. We dont own a home Yet. Thats just one of the things we are hoping to get out or Oregon. Thats to own a home.

posted by gr8jab:
I'm not sure what type of place to live you are looking for. Here is a sweeping generality, that some in the group will probably argue with, as there are always exceptions.

Because of land use plans and laws, things are a little strange here (IMHO). Local zoning and planning boards have trouple meeting the state mandates and making the people happy.

If you want a new house, you can only find small yards (1/4 acre) inside city limits.
The older the house, the large the yards that are available for a reasonable price.
If you want a LOT of land, you must farm it to qualify for the tax defferement, otherwise you can't afford the taxes.

I tried to find 2-3 acres in the Salem school district to build a house. It's almost impossible (few choices, and very very expensive).

Of course, 'expensive' is relative. If you come from SoCal, you can live in a mansion here!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. I also promiss to to vote right and support the firearm rights of Oregon.
Oh Ya, I will bring my nasty black rifles also!!!!

posted by Hartmann:
If you're willing to live up to 60 miles out of the city, you can find pretty much whatever you want here. What kind of place are you looking for?

But you know what? There're a LOT of places within 60 miles of Portland like that. As long as you can stay employed you'll be able to find what you like. Just remember to bring your guns and vote right.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I replied to your aim. Thanks for the info. We will also contact your wife when the time comes.

posted by markl32
My wife and her Real Estate partner are excellent buyers agents. They have even helped former California ARFCOM'ers become Oregon ARFCOM'ers. She found the last CA ARFCOM'er a nice place that met all the buyers criteria; including being located 10 minutes from one of Oregon's premier shooting facilities.

As far as restaurants go Portland's best keep secret is the many excellent restaurants. The bad news is if you ask 10 people for a recommendation you'll get 13 different choices. The good news is you'll probably love any of them.

If you end up dining in Northwest Portland stop in at the Caffe Mingo for some damn good Italian. Put your name in at Caffe Mingo, tell them your going to Serratto's bar two doors down, and they'll call over to the bar when your table is ready. Now you can play it like a native. Finish the evening with desert at Papa Haydn.

Caffe Mingo

Papa Haydn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You two lost me on this one.LOL

OMG.......did you just type what I think you just typed????
You feelin' OK?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL, Na , no windsurfer here.
Im a fishing,hunting,shooting,4wheeling,gun toatin kind of guy...LOL

posted by Cape_hunterY
a.. We have already put his guy thru the "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU" drill and besides, more gun frendly people is a good thing....unless the are windsurfers... then they must die

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:40:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Lynch_Family:
I like Italian,steak house,. I am steak and potatoes kind of guy. The wife likes Sushi once in a while.

Todai Japanese buffet in downtown Portland is an AWESOME deal for the money. Very good sushi and Japanese food. Well worth the price. Oh, and it's all you can eat!

Todai
340 SW Morrison St., #4305
Portland, OR 97204
Tel: (503) 294-0007

Lunch
11:30am - 2:30pm (Mon-Fri)
11:45am - 3:00pm (Sat, Sun & Holidays)

Dinner
5:30pm - 8:45pm (Mon-Thur)
5:15pm - 9:30pm (Fri-Sat)
5:15pm - 8:45pm (Sun & Holidays)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:01:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:15:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 7:15:21 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Originally Posted By petagunner:

Ya.. We have already put his guy thru the "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU" drill and besides, more gun frendly people is a good thing....unless the are windsurfers... then they must die

Dunno bout you, but every time I've been thru there, by the water....the windsurfers weren't exactly what I was watching.........it was the wiminz

Nothing wrong with girllies in a wetsuit ....Its the middle aged, balding, overtanned, in search of their lost youth guys running around in volkswagon vans wearing jesus jordons spouting Jonh Skerry drival that you have to watch out for! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY to many lib-tards in this town.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:26:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:45:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tReznr:

Todai Japanese buffet in downtown Portland....

Perhaps it's just me but doesn't it seem rather sinister to have non-Asian’s preparing sushi in an Japanese buffet?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:25:03 AM EDT

Thanks for the info. Sheeit, I wish I could live in a mansion. Everything is so expensive out here its so hard to survive. We wont be selling a house here for a zillion dollars and coming up there to raise your housing prices as some say. We dont own a home Yet. Thats just one of the things we are hoping to get out or Oregon. Thats to own a home.

You might consider the area(s) from Salem/Keizer down I-5 to Albany/Lebanon; relatively low prices.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ch139:

You might consider the area(s) from Salem/Keizer down I-5 to Albany/Lebanon; relatively low prices.

Meth heads will do that to prop values
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:05:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By munkalido:

Originally Posted By tReznr:

Todai Japanese buffet in downtown Portland....

Perhaps it's just me but doesn't it seem rather sinister to have non-Asian’s preparing sushi in an Japanese buffet?

Noticed that too did 'ya? Urm... well the food is still good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:43:47 PM EDT
Still looking for food? If you actually hit the Portland area, check out the Sellwood district. Just outside Portland by 4-5 miles towards Milwaukie/Oregon City. The resturants have great food. Yes, you will be supporting some of the most rabid anti-fucking everything crowd but again, the food is really good.

Greek, Italian, Sushi, NW and the list continues. All real close together.

Hope your trip is well. PM if you want more descriptive info. I'd be glad to provide more details on the area.

GB

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:25:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ch139:

Meth heads will do that to prop values

haha, yea definintely stay on the West side of I5.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:35:30 AM EDT
I just bought a house in Vancouver in the Orchards area of the city very nice and was in my price range plus very small crime rate. I would look into buying a house in Ridgefield, WA you can get a nice house for the money and you are still relativly close to portland metro ....Driving to and from Sherwood/Beaverton/Hillsborough is a nightmare. Ridgefield has a lot of new construction so I think it would be worth checking out.

as for places to eat ....Stanfords is a great Steakhouse
Sunjin Sushi for ..sushi
and then there is alway the Montoge for some good cajun food/atmosphere
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:19:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By f0xtr0t:
I just bought a house in Vancouver in the Orchards area of the city very nice and was in my price range plus very small crime rate. I would look into buying a house in Ridgefield, WA you can get a nice house for the money and you are still relativly close to portland metro ....Driving to and from Sherwood/Beaverton/Hillsborough is a nightmare. Ridgefield has a lot of new construction so I think it would be worth checking out.

Sunjin Sushi for ..sushi

But from Vancouver or Ridgefield is like a Sunday afternoon cruise in Chitty-chitty Bang-bang?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:38:09 PM EDT

Sunjin Sushi for ..sushi

But from Vancouver or Ridgefield is like a Sunday afternoon cruise in Chitty-chitty Bang-bang?

And no class 3!!!

Read munks sig!!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 7:35:50 PM EDT by YANKEEFAN]

It's far better than from SHerwood/Hillsburrito/ or Beaverton.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:04:45 PM EDT
[waves]
1 minute 30 seconds from office to driveway
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:40:00 PM EDT

[waves]

3 minutes 26 seconds here (Hillsburrito).
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:51:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoAim:

[waves]

3 minutes 26 seconds here (Hillsburrito).

It helps thats for sure!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT
1 min 29 seconds from I5. 2 mins 45 seconds to 217. most importantly. 5 mins from TCGC
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:39:31 PM EDT
25 minutes from TCGC: $300
1 minute from Hwy 26: $209,000
6 seconds from bed to office: priceless

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:16:43 PM EDT
What do you all think of the town Sheridan? I am flying to Portland next thursday morning and staying for 4 days. I could still use advise on what areas to look for to where I can find a couple acres with some sort of housing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:26:22 PM EDT

Sunjin Sushi for ..sushi

And no class 3!!!

Read munks sig!!!

Sorta - we can own silencers and AOW's.
Top Top