Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 11:37:34 AM EDT
Ya know, I like you, but you REALLY piss me off sometimes.  I was just going through some things in my mind when "Mega Structures" came on the tube in the background, and it got me to thinking about cool jobs (the show was actually about C5 aircraft).  That got me to thinking about the military, and the Army specifically, and then - finally - to you cause you get to work around the 64s.  More specifically, I remembered where you got ARFCOM stickerd on the one.

So I'm curious...  Exactly what do you do?  Turn wrenches?  Aviation electronics?  Engineer?  How does a guy get such a cool job where they can put ARFCOM on the finest military attack helicopter?  Do you work for the company or DOD?

C'mon, bud, tell us jealous people your story - which is why I posted it here rather than IM.  I know I ain't the only one curious about this and wants to build Apaches and motorcycles in their garage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Somehow his gig landed him in New York for a week or two.  He had pics of the secret svc snipers on top of a tall building because the Pres was at some event.  It was tight, Yo!

Even though he was hitting on LotBoy, I still think he's alright!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah.  Thanks man.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know I ain't the only one curious about this and wants to build Apaches and motorcycles in their garage.

He doesn't work by himself.

J.D. Hayworth sometimes drops by to help him out.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know I ain't the only one curious about this and wants to build Apaches and motorcycles in their garage.

Oh so that explains all of the unobtitanium bits on his scooter?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya know, I like you, but you REALLY piss me off sometimes.  I was just going through some things in my mind when "Mega Structures" came on the tube in the background, and it got me to thinking about cool jobs (the show was actually about C5 aircraft).  That got me to thinking about the military, and the Army specifically, and then - finally - to you cause you get to work around the 64s.  More specifically, I remembered where you got ARFCOM stickerd on the one.

So I'm curious...  Exactly what do you do?  Turn wrenches?  Aviation electronics? Engineer?  How does a guy get such a cool job where they can put ARFCOM on the finest military attack helicopter?  Do you work for the company or DOD?

C'mon, bud, tell us jealous people your story - which is why I posted it here rather than IM.  I know I ain't the only one curious about this and wants to build Apaches and motorcycles in their garage.

A little hint...

-John
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Those sweet ass choppers fly overhead out a sycamore from time to time...  Especially on the Week days.

One flew close enough to my jeep that the pilot and I could wave to one another!  

I love US military MIGHT!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I remembered where you got ARFCOM stickerd on the one.

... Ha, the "sticker" was a Photoshop, I do OK with the software

So I'm curious...  Exactly what do you do?  ...

… Wow, I’m being “picked on”!

... Over the years, I've been quite lucky, career-wise I’ve been able to perform a variety of jobs I enjoy in the field.

… Been working in military aerospace for 23+ years now. Started out as a prototype machinist and worked my way up through the ranks. Took an interest in a field that I’m genuinely passionate about - and applied myself.

… Worked as a Manufacturing Engineer, Liaison Engineer, Quality Engineer, and Design Engineer. Although I wasn’t technically considered an MP&S engineer, I have worked heavily in the field of advanced materials and processes as well. Even did a stint as a manager but didn’t prefer that type of work and jumped when asked to lead a new project in a non-managerial capacity.  

… Right now, the majority of my time is conducting Project Engineering type activities – I really enjoy it because I’m responsible for a much broader spectrum of the product’s entire lifecycle. Meaning, not only do I oversee the design and engineering aspects but also have to make critical business decisions. Mainly things that support the timely DD250 (aircraft deliveries to Army) schedules, budget appropriation and allocation, resource management, performance metrics, procurement & contracts and proposals to senior management. I’m constantly working with Suppliers, Program Office managers and Government DCMA officials as well.

… I’ve been very fortunate to have landed of a position like this. It’s a dog-eat-dog world there. Many folks go to school forever in anticipation of a career like this only to never get the chance. I once had a small opportunity presented me and I seized and commanded the position every since.

… As for an education, I have no formal. But I’m the rare exception to the rule. Self-taught and learned through experience and sheer dedicated perseverance. Always desired to do the best anyone can. There are a few folks out there bitter about this, but I look at it this way: As soon as they can do my job better than I can, they’ll have it
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remembered where you got ARFCOM stickerd on the one.

... Ha, the "sticker" was a Photoshop, I do OK with the software

So I'm curious...  Exactly what do you do?  ...

… Wow, I’m being “picked on”!

... Over the years, I've been quite lucky, career-wise I’ve been able to perform a variety of jobs I enjoy in the field.

… Been working in military aerospace for 23+ years now. Started out as a prototype machinist and worked my way up through the ranks. Took an interest in a field that I’m genuinely passionate about - and applied myself.

… Worked as a Manufacturing Engineer, Liaison Engineer, Quality Engineer, and Design Engineer. Although I wasn’t technically considered an MP&S engineer, I have worked heavily in the field of advanced materials and processes as well. Even did a stint as a manager but didn’t prefer that type of work and jumped when asked to lead a new project in a non-managerial capacity.  

… Right now, the majority of my time is conducting Project Engineering type activities – I really enjoy it because I’m responsible for a much broader spectrum of the product’s entire lifecycle. Meaning, not only do I oversee the design and engineering aspects but also have to make critical business decisions. Mainly things that support the timely DD250 (aircraft deliveries to Army) schedules, budget appropriation and allocation, resource management, performance metrics, procurement & contracts and proposals to senior management. I’m constantly working with Suppliers, Program Office managers and Government DCMA officials as well.

… I’ve been very fortunate to have landed of a position like this. It’s a dog-eat-dog world there. Many folks go to school forever in anticipation of a career like this only to never get the chance. I once had a small opportunity presented me and I seized and commanded the position every since.

… As for an education, I have no formal. But I’m the rare exception to the rule. Self-taught and learned through experience and sheer dedicated perseverance. Always desired to do the best anyone can. There are a few folks out there bitter about this, but I look at it this way: As soon as they can do my job better than I can, they’ll have it

Fucker.

Some guys get all the luck the chance for something they love to do and are good at.

Dude, I had NO clue you photoshopped the copter!  That looked real!  

Guess I won't be pining you for a position.  Sounds like you busted your ass and did good, bro.  Here's one raised to you:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey WW, when is the next Family Day at Boeing?

That was my first ARFCOM get together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top