Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:47:35 PM EDT
My wife & I are looking to relocate to your area. So far, we'be been looking in the Tyler/Longview area. Not moving for any specific job. She's a teacher, I'm in real estate. We are looking to cash out a home on 40 or so acres. Looking to spend around 200k....can this be found?
Anyone have an opinion on the area? We like fishing, hunting, boating, hiking, ect. We want to set up our own little homestead and carve out a nice place to live.
We need to still have jobs though. I imagine hers as a teacher won't be super hard to find. My real estate may not be all that great though. I have my EMT-I certification (for my own knowledge) and so perhaps I could get hired on somewhere in the EMS or FD area, or even armed security to start.
Any advise? I'm looking to decide if I should buy up my land now & have someone good build the house? Or should I wait until I'm ready to move & buy at that time. Heck, maybe we should move & rent for a bit to see all the area and decide.
What's the political climate in that part of the state? I have a lot of NFA toys and such.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:19:55 PM EDT
MG,

$200k will get you a beautiful home in the tyler/longview area...whether you build on land or buy one already existing.

Doubt either of you will have trouble finding jobs either. I'm not in the immediate area, but DFW...but I do know some of the best deals on land and homes are east of DFW. $200k will go a long ways.

Political climate is solidly conservative [like most of Tx, except Austin], NFA shouldn't be a problem at all.

Any others Q's, just shoot me an IM, I'll do my best to help, we'd love to have ya!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:17:44 PM EDT
You will certainly fit in around here. As long as your wife has her state certs, she is basically guaranteed a job. My mom has been a teacher here for over 20 yrs. As far as real estate, as a job or looking for a home, I'm clueless, someone else will have to fill you in. I'm an EMT-B (and I'll be taking my intermediate exam shortly), plus I'm in medic school. I just finished up the interview process and am waiting for a call from Champion EMS. The only other local non-Fire EMS service around here is ETMC EMS. Longview Fire requires Paramedic certification plus Fire Academy for employment if you wanted to go farther. We have an excellent range 10 or so minutes from Longview, and I'm sure your NFA stuff will be welcomed there. Feel free to IM me for any more questions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:40:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 8:42:08 PM EDT by De_Professor]

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
I am about 50 miles east of Tyler. Van Zandt County. the Sheriff is C3 friendly, so is the Kaufman County Sheriff.

Not sure about the Tyler/Longview area CLEOs.

TRG

West dumb ass.

You live in Canton.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:41:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:18:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By De_Professor:

I am about 50 miles east of Tyler. Van Zandt County. the Sheriff is C3 friendly, so is the Kaufman County Sheriff.

Not sure about the Tyler/Longview area CLEOs.

TRG

West dumb ass.

You live in Canton.

West...East... whatever.

TRG

My special ed class just finished learning about the compass. Shoot me an IM f you'd like me to set one of them up to tutor you!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:19:04 AM EDT

I knows my directions, I just ain't so good at using them.

TRG

Isn't there some story about you taking some folks hog hunting and getting lost in the woods?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:55:48 AM EDT
Top Top