Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 4:56:52 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a Finn M39.  Got any advice?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No suggestions here, but I have to applaud the choice. They're the best of the M-N's in my opinion. Triggers and sights are great on most I've seen. The stock redesign is cool... and it's the only rifle I know of with a dual sling swivel setup- one for walking, and one for skiing.
If you're looking for a good source of info, Parallax's C+R forums is a wealth of knowledge. Very nice folks there.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Finn Mosins are considered some of the best out there.  I would think that the price point for one in decent shape would start at about $150-$200 depending on condition - but that's just a guess on my part since I haven't priced Finn M39s.  It is my understanding that they tend to tack a small premium on the Finn rifles versus the Russian made rifle, so that price range sounds right to me.

As far as things to look for, it's pretty much the same as for any old battle rifle - matching serial numbers, good wood, bore that doesn't look shitty.

When ARH is done with my headspace gauges, you can borrow 'em.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Hobbit...thanks for the info.

Is it normal to see a gun with a course bead blast under the bluing on the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]

This is the one I'm going to take a look at this weekend.  It's a 1944 VKT...100% blue, perfect bore, and square mortise post-war stock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
How much are they asking for it?  Looks very very nice...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The guy's asking $250.  Wholesale Guns & Ammo is getting $229 for a comparable rifle and by the time you add shipping and transfer...
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, WGA is who I got my M91/30 from.

$250 for an unissued VKT is a great price.  The VKTs are actually lower production than the SAKO that everyone seems to want to pay a premium for.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn it! Now you guys have me interested. How would you mount a scope on that and what type would you use?

I read an article in Field & Stream that said these rifles are excellent for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
It'll make one'a them thar shniper rifles real good!
Hell yeah! Good deer gun. Haw.

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn it! Now you guys have me interested. How would you mount a scope on that and what type would you use?

I read an article in Field & Stream that said these rifles are excellent for hunting.

You've got three choices.  Number one, buy a sniper rifle.  They are pricey (because they are rare), and good ones easily hit $500, though some are cheaper.  Number two, bastardize a current rifle.  Tap and drill the receiver, I believe (just checked, tap and drill, as well as hacksaw the bolt).  Choice C, replace the rear sight with a custom scope mount.  I believe you remove the leaf sight, pin in the mount and secure it with brass screws.  You can then utilize LER scopes.

Choice C seems to be the cheapest way to go - ~$73.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top