Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 3:31:39 AM EDT
I'm going to be in Florida on the 4th this year.  Are items such as firecrackers and bottle rocket legal and can you buy them in state?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally no - but it depends on the county.

(and even then, a permit is usually required)

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they legal? Sorta.

Can you buy them? Oh yeah.

You have to sign a contract (at least at Phantom, where I buy all of mine) that you're using them for one of a number of purposes approved by the State of Florida, i.e. scaring birds away from a stocked fishing pond, and other stuff like that.

Phantom has a pretty good selection, and decent prices. I've already bought a hoard for this year. Rockets, roman candles, some repeater sets, the whole nine yards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
uh, news to me, but ive been going to neptune for my fireworks.  m80s, m100s, m60s, professional style tubes/flares.  no better way to celebrate your country's independence, than by blowing up a small piece of it!

also me and my freinds have bottle rocket fights, you hold them in your hand and light them, and then try to throw them at one another, before it rockets in some random direction.  roman candle fights, too.  one time we all got goggles, airsoft guns, and about 8 m80s each (like grenades) and just ran around my neighborhood playing counter strike (if you dont know cs, im terribly sorry for your loss).  this is high school btw, none of that anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Technically the only legal fireworks are the crappy ones like the snake thing that you light with a pocket lighter and it expands crap.  But like poster above said, if you go to any firework store and just sign a paper saying you won't use the fireworks illegally, you can buy anything from bottle rockets to mortar rounds.  As far as the police, I can say I have never enforced, or seen any firework laws enforced.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

also me and my freinds have bottle rocket fights, you hold them in your hand and light them, and then try to throw them at one another, before it rockets in some random direction.  roman candle fights, too.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

What are you 12?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Technically the only legal fireworks are the crappy ones like the snake thing that you light with a pocket lighter and it expands crap.  But like poster above said, if you go to any firework store and just sign a paper saying you won't use the fireworks illegally, you can buy anything from bottle rockets to mortar rounds.  As far as the police, I can say I have never enforced, or seen any firework laws enforced.

TECHNICALLY, the law states that they have to see you physically light the fuse to get you in trouble, or confiscate your stuff. So you can be standing there with a mortar, a round in the tube, and a glowing punk in your hand, and as long as they don't see you light the fuse, you're golden. Some places (I know, for example, Cocoa Beach) have stricter laws regarding possession.

That being said... Don't do stupid shit, like have bottle rocket fights. Be safe, keep all your fingers, and stay out of the ED. We'll be busy enough at the hospitals.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

also me and my freinds have bottle rocket fights, you hold them in your hand and light them, and then try to throw them at one another, before it rockets in some random direction.  roman candle fights, too.

What are you 12?

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

Lighten up.

Must be another 12 year old.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

Lighten up.

me and several other adults have done this after a few drinks on new years, and it is fun as shit!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
me and several other adults have done this after a few drinks on new years, and it is fun as shit!

Explosives and alcohol...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

Lighten up.

lol yea its mad fun.  obviously i know its dumb, but when its a holiday and you are with friends.....  you tend to do things are that dumb, but very fun

and im not 12, switch those number around and you'll be correct
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TECHNICALLY, the law states that they have to see you physically light the fuse to get you in trouble, or confiscate your stuff. So you can be standing there with a mortar, a round in the tube, and a glowing punk in your hand, and as long as they don't see you light the fuse, you're golden. Some places (I know, for example, Cocoa Beach) have stricter laws regarding possession.

That being said... Don't do stupid shit, like have bottle rocket fights. Be safe, keep all your fingers, and stay out of the ED. We'll be busy enough at the hospitals.

yes on cocoa and i think vero beach as well, you cannot shoot off fireworks on the beach.  my family and i got in trouble by the po-po one new years for doing them on the beach.  they didnt do anything though, just said to put it away.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

Lighten up.

lol yea its mad fun.  obviously i know its dumb, but when its a holiday and you are with friends.....  you tend to do things are that dumb, but very fun

and im not 12, switch those number around and you'll be correct

I was talking mentally and emotionally not chronological age.

Wait until someone takes a bottle rocket in the eye and we'll see how much fun it is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Google Sam's Butt Rocket

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you finish reading mercdank's original post where he said they did that in high school and not anymore?  
Lighten up dude!

BTW, in high school we used to have a bottle rocket war every year at my parents house around Christmas time. We used pieces of pipe about 3 feet long as bazookas––-  surprising how good you can aim holding the pipe on your shoulder and sighting down it's length.  Oh - we also did teams of two - one guy holding and aiming the pipe, the other guy behind - lloading and lighting from the rear.  And safety goggles were mandatory.
That was a long time ago - in the late 60's...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes you can buy them. You have to fill out a form though. I believe it says something like you are using them to scare away squirrels or something.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you finish reading mercdank's original post where he said they did that in high school and not anymore?  
Lighten up dude!

BTW, in high school we used to have a bottle rocket war every year at my parents house around Christmas time. We used pieces of pipe about 3 feet long as bazookas––-  surprising how good you can aim holding the pipe on your shoulder and sighting down it's length.  Oh - we also did teams of two - one guy holding and aiming the pipe, the other guy behind - lloading and lighting from the rear.  And safety goggles were mandatory.

I dont care when he did it.

He clearly still thinks its ok and it isn't.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

I have to plead the 5th, as I've had many bottle rocket/roman candle fights before.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
yea fireworks are fun.  got me thinkin' of all the dumb shit i used to do way back when.  i remember the first time i went over one of my new friends' house and his dad made me empty my pockets like as a joke because of the stories his son told him.  wasnt so funny when i emptied like 20 M-80s into the palm oh his hand.  but then it got funny again when he, his son and i went outside to their neighbor's window and he (the dad) lit a m-80 on the window sill of his neighbors office, where the nieghbor was on his computer, and we can see straight in.  window didnt break, but he jumped!  quite fun indeed.  apparently my friends' dad and the neighbor were life long freinds, and he had a smile on his face when he came outside to make sure his window wasnt busted.  

oh, and please dont get me started on paintball guns, flame throwers, stealing people's golf balls in between the time you hit it and the time it takes you to drive in your cart over to it and then reselling it to the same people 3 for a dollar at the one way bridge leading to the next hole, and more airsoft stories.  damn how the time has flown by.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you 12?

I have to plead the 5th, as I've had many bottle rocket/roman candle fights before.

Yeah... same here.

Not something I would do these days,  but you get a group of guys, some fireworks, and maybe some liquid fun.... There will be shenanigans!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lighten up dude!

I dont care when he did it.

He clearly still thinks its ok and it isn't.

Man, you're a sour old fart aren't you?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys.

Bottle rocket war it is.

The first Indiana rocket brigade will be entering northern Florida on or about June 28th.

Objective: reach that big lake that starts with an O that I can't spell by the 4th.

Winner gets to tap the keg.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
the guys in my neighborhood do a show every 4th.  Last couple of years, the cops came by, made sure adults were lightning the stuff off, and left.

I don't think its legal, and certainly not when there is a burn ban in effect, but like the cops said, he can't arrest everyone.

We have a vendor that we contact in advance.  He stops by with his catalog, and we pick which morters,  rockets, displays etc we want, and then he comes back in a week or so and deliverers.  Last 4th, we blew up about $2,000 worth.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My Dad would always put on a show on Christmas Eve night and New Years Eve.  Of course us kids were always helping set it all off.  We popped fire crackers from a week nefore Chrismas till after the 1st. It was the thing to do in rural south Loiusiana....
Dad would always get a bunch of Flaming Arrows and Thor rockets.  The next day after shooting them all off, I'd roam the fields and recover spent rockets.  Dad would donate Bullseye powder and we'd "reload" the rockets.  Never got one to work.......Oh well, we had a lot of fun.  Oh - and cherry bombs, silver salutes, and M-80's that really made a kaboom!   Those were some good times....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]
One's that make noise and pop are not legal, but you have no problem buying them as long as you go to Phantom Fireworks, TNT, Donny Aaron's Arsenal,  Neptune, Sky-King and places of sort.  Just have to sign an affidavit stating that it's for a special event, or you're taking them out of state, or something like that.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to fire roman candles while holding them until one day one exploded
and burned me quite good. It was one shot then boom. It blew the whole side
out of the tube the flaming balls and powder hit me in the arm, chest and face.
I was lucky I did not get hit in the eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top