Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2016 7:54:11 AM EST
OK, I have 2 stripped lowers at my ffl. They said that they are considered "other" on the form 4473. So I want to build one as a pistol and one as a rifle down the road. My understanding is that I build the one as a pistol when I have time, then complete a RI-060 with me as seller and buyer with the date that I complete the build. I then file the RI-060 with my local Sherrif. End of story on pistol.

The rifle I can build at any point and I'm done. No more paperwork required.

Please advise accordingly! :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:12:09 AM EST
Thats how I understand it
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:16:43 AM EST
ty for the input? Anyone else agree or disagree? I thought the pistol lower had to be sold on 4473 as a pistol? :/
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:25:23 AM EST
Negative. Both are transferred as other.

File RI-060 within 10 days of you assembling it.

Either your local Police or County Sheriffs office usually, whoever issues pistol permits in your area.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:39:56 AM EST
The advice here is correct. The only thing not mentioned is whether or not you have a CPL...

In both cases, transfer both lowers as "Other" on the 4473. Build one into a rifle when time permits, and you're done. No extra paperwork.

For the lower that will become a pistol:
If you have a CPL, you will build the lower into a pistol when time permits, and within 10 days of completing it, you will drop off the RI-60 with you as buyer (using your CPL number) and seller at your local LE station.

If you don't have a CPL, you will go to your local LE station and obtain a pistol purchase permit which is valid for 30 days. During those 30 days, you will assemble the lower into a pistol. Within 10 days of completion of the pistol, you will submit the RI-60 with you as buyer (using the NICS check number from the pistol purchase permit) and seller to your local LE station.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:15:40 AM EST
I do have a CPL in MI
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:39:10 PM EST
Another question.... is a sling and a grip magwell legal on an ar pistol?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:09:12 PM EST
I'm no lawyer, but a magwell grip is not a vertical fore grip and I've never seen any laws prohibiting a sling on a pistol. It's just a big lanyard, right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:19:13 PM EST
I sent an email to the manufacturer, no response.... go figure :/
Top Top