Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2016 8:54:11 AM EDT
OK, I have 2 stripped lowers at my ffl.  They said that they are considered "other" on the form 4473.  So I want to build one as a pistol and one as a rifle down the road.  My understanding is that I build the one as a pistol when I have time, then complete a RI-060 with me as seller and buyer with the date that I complete the build.  I then file the RI-060 with my local Sherrif.  End of story on pistol.

The rifle I can build at any point and I'm done.  No more paperwork required.

Please advise accordingly!  :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats how I understand it
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
ty for the input?  Anyone else agree or disagree?  I thought the pistol lower had to be sold on 4473 as a pistol?  :/
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Negative. Both are transferred as other.

File RI-060 within 10 days of you assembling it.

Either your local Police or County Sheriffs office usually, whoever issues pistol permits in your area.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The advice here is correct. The only thing not mentioned is whether or not you have a CPL...

In both cases, transfer both lowers as "Other" on the 4473. Build one into a rifle when time permits, and you're done. No extra paperwork.

For the lower that will become a pistol:
If you have a CPL, you will build the lower into a pistol when time permits, and within 10 days of completing it, you will drop off the RI-60 with you as buyer (using your CPL number) and seller at your local LE station.

If you don't have a CPL, you will go to your local LE station and obtain a pistol purchase permit which is valid for 30 days. During those 30 days, you will assemble the lower into a pistol. Within 10 days of completion of the pistol, you will submit the RI-60 with you as buyer (using the NICS check number from the pistol purchase permit) and seller to your local LE station.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I do have a CPL in MI
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Another question.... is a sling and a grip magwell legal on an ar pistol?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no lawyer, but a magwell grip is not a vertical fore grip and I've never seen any laws prohibiting a sling on a pistol. It's just a big lanyard, right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent an email to the manufacturer, no response.... go figure :/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top