Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 12:57:57 PM EDT
My father asked me to look into selling his old stereo.  He bought it all when he was stationed in Japan in the 60's.  Anyone have any idea of a good price to ask.  He wants it gone.  I had the receiver hooked up to the speakers about 6-7 years ago and it worked/sounded great.  Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 2:14:36 PM EDT by cz75fan]
BOY!!!!!!! That brings back some memories!!! That would match my 40 year old GE television. Yeah I'm an old fart:(

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:55:49 AM EDT
maybe $10
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:43:40 AM EDT
Well I guess it'll make a great target then.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:50:12 AM EDT
I'd hold off on shooting it atleast for a bit...

Do some mroe research...  Maybe no one here is interested in it or knows much about it, but that doesn't mean no one else is....

EX: I just did a quick google for ""Pioneer SX-800"" and found a few interesting links, one was a forum where someone wanted to buy on and this was posted,

"Friends and fellow vintage buffs, I need a little bit of encouragement here. I found an SX-800 in really nice condition and I'm torn between 'I don't need it', but 'I really want it'. I have seen another trying to be sold for $350 and this one is about $110, including the shipping. I'm not REALLY into value stuff, but I have a feeling that I want to give this beauty a good home. The picture of the inside with all those gorgeous tubes, I can't explain it, but it moves me. I guess I'm just asking for a vote of confidence, this is good, isn't it?"  

That was over on http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=149703  No affiliation wih the poster or site, just found via the googlenet...  :)

Might seach Ebay and or Craigslist and a few other forums to see if there is any interest /value...  Never know...  

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:12:43 AM EDT
Relative value (assuming equivalent condition)  Turntable>>Receiver>>>Tape deck.

Pretty good market for functional, old turntables. Search for turntable forums. Garrard is a well-known company.

Vintage receivers have a small market, too if they work perfectly. Repair work may be cost-prohibitive, like taking a hamster to the veterinarian.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:53:36 AM EDT
Just kidding about the target practice.  The only thing I see being worth much is the receiver.  Probably not more than 40-50 bucks.  Just wanted to know if there were any audiophiles out there.  Thanks for the input.  I'll put it all on ebay no reserve with pickup only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:06:12 AM EDT
Those old Pioneer receivers have a cult following. Audiokarma.org is your best bet for information. I know it's a pain to ship but if you're willing to I bet you'll be surprised how much it will go for on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:52:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1MAC:

Relative value (assuming equivalent condition) Turntable>>Receiver>>>Tape deck.

Pretty good market for functional, old turntables. Search for turntable forums. Garrard is a well-known company.

Vintage receivers have a small market, too if they work perfectly. Repair work may be cost-prohibitive, like taking a hamster to the veterinarian.

LOL, sad part is you know some Mom or Dad was forced too, by a concerned and loving little one....

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:43:11 AM EDT
That sony reel to reel is worth some money, took one in a few years back to have it cleaned up, the shop owner offered $750 for it, I declined as it was handed down to me.
Top Top