Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/15/2004 9:22:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 5:59:49 PM EST by NYPatriot]
My wife & I are seriously thinking about buying our own home, but the real estate prices here in Westchester Co. are prohibitive. Add the fact that NY is a cesspool of liberal ideology & that our gun laws are only likely to get worse, and eastern PA. is looking mighty good!

So tell me... what is Pocono region living like? School systems good? What's the employment situation like? Taxes? Infrastructure? Shopping, restaurants, movies, etc.? I realize that it is rural, but just how rural??? In other words, could my wife & I browse at a Barnes & Noble, have dinner at a nice restaurant, have a coffee at a Starbucks, & go see a movie without driving an hour to do it?

We intend to visit the area in the near future, but I would like to know what to expect.

Thanks much.

NYP
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:21:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:45:28 PM EST
Im close enough that I got an opinion
(hang in PA a lot - relatives too )

Any where near Allentown or Stroudsburg is cool.
Allentown is about 100,000 people - so has all the Amenities.
Want rural ? Half hour drive and your in the Boonies

www.allentownpa.org/

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:47:27 PM EST
im w/ my #, give me a call. I am in cotract w/ my house in pa. Yet another New Yorker in Pa. origanally from NYC
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:35:56 PM EST
Make that two more. Ive been trying to get out of NY for a couple of years now, but I'am meeting with great resistance from the wife. I started suggesting Fla., she said it was too far from her family in NY. Then I tried NC, again she said it's too far from her family. I recently brought up PA, she agreed to "look into it" with me.

I was going to start a thread on this, don't mean to jump on NYPatriots, but it's the same subject.

From what I have seen, it looks like alot of "undesirables" have moved into the Poconos. I also read a couple of years ago, that a new home builder up there was taking advantage of the people buying the homes. I don't remember the particulars.

I did find these builders, wondering if you PA guys can take a look at the areas they build in and comment on the areas www.thproperties.com/communities/communities/index.html.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:47:47 PM EST
Check this out. Very reputable home builder from the Bucks / Lehigh area is now building on a golf course in the Poconos. VERY reasonably priced.

Click on communities than click "Hideaway Hills"
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:17:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By rugby:
Check this out. Very reputable home builder from the Bucks / Lehigh area is now building on a golf course in the Poconos. VERY reasonably priced.

Click on communities than click "Hideaway Hills"

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:44:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 2:47:11 PM EST by edpmedic]
I agree Signiture Homes is one of the best out there for Modern Home building. I have been checking them out for some time on and off. They seem to be one that lasts and I have seen some of their work. My wife has a couple of friends who got houses from them and they were very happy with the whole deal.

We are also thinking of moving to the PA area. I need to stay near NY for 7 more yrs till the wife is able to retire. I am tired of these TAX hikes and could live in Hawaii for almost what I pay on Long Island.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:18:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By edpmedic:
I agree Signiture Homes is one of the best out there for Modern Home building. I have been checking them out for some time on and off. They seem to be one that lasts and I have seen some of their work. My wife has a couple of friends who got houses from them and they were very happy with the whole deal.

We are also thinking of moving to the PA area. I need to stay near NY for 7 more yrs till the wife is able to retire. I am tired of these TAX hikes and could live in Hawaii for almost what I pay on Long Island.

Thats good to know. Taxes, thats one of the major reasons we're leaving. I live in Nassau, they are in such a financial mess, you can guarentee continued tax increases for many,many years to come. Chimps can run Nassau County better than these bozo's are.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:38:34 AM EST
How is Macungie, lower, upper, whatever?

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller........
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:05:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 12:06:40 PM EST by chrome1]

Originally Posted By NYPatriot:
My wife & I are seriously thinking about buying our own home, but the real estate prices here in Westchester Co. are prohibitive. Add the fact that NY is a cesspool of liberal ideology & that our gun laws are only likely to get worse, and eastern PA. is looking mighty good!

I understand fully , I Was born in Westchester , bought a house in Putnam and now I'm single again and living in Dutchess . Housing prices and Taxes are Insane . I've been looking for a Townhouse , or
a 2 bdr single family for a year . Anything worth living in is $300-400K . I'm dead center between CT and PA , 30 miles either way , and I can own full autos in either one although CT is harder on so called assault weapons . The problem with PA is that economy is dead in the Pocono’s . I looked at a nice 3bdr ranch on 75 acres right over the border in Equinunk, PA $129 K but its the armpit of no where . The Real Estate agent keeps calling hounding me so I made an offer of 90K . At that price I'll buy it as a weekend house and keep renting here .

My point in all this rambling is that unless your willing to commute an hr or more , or you have a source of income that’s not dependant on location . Then the Pocono’s are great , but if you plan on working there ...... It isn’t gonna happen .
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:57:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 6:01:35 PM EST by NYPatriot]
Well the wife & I spent the last couple of days driving around eastern & central PA. on a fact finding mission. The verdict is not exactly in, but here are some random observations...

Pennsylvania is chock full of breathtakingly beautiful scenery! Majestic mountains, rolling farmland, picturesque small towns. Unfortunately, it also suffers from a surprising amount of poverty. I lost count of the number of closed up businesses & dilapidated buildings that we passed on our trip. What businesses there were seemed to just be getting by. Not very encouraging, to say the least.

We drove from the Stroudsburg area through Allentown & we wound up in Hershey. I kind of liked Stroudsburg & the surrounding area, but I have to say that Allentown is a shithole (apologies to anyone who lives there). Sure it has "all the amenities" if by that you mean a fast food joint & a quickie-mart on every street corner. Maybe I didn't see enough of it, but what I did encounter depressed & discouraged me.

We stopped to eat at a couple of "nice" restaurants & I was less than impressed with what passes for fine dining in rural PA. I really don't want to come across as a snob, but I have had microwave meals that were better than what we were served.

On the plus side, most everyone we met was polite, friendly, and courteous. It was a nice change of pace & I could get use to it.

Gun stores & shooting ranges are plentiful. This is a good thing!!!

In short, what we experienced was a mixed bag. Stroudsburg is only an hours drive from the GWB, houses & taxes are cheap, and with East Stroudsburg University so close by, I might actually get off my lazy ass & earn my Masters Degree (they offer programs in History & Poli Sci). On the down side, there are few employment opportunities to speak of, there is not much "culture" in the region, & we would not know anyone within a hundred miles.

The jury is still out on us moving to PA. Another trip is in order. Houses need to be looked at. Education & employment opportunities need to be explored. Friends & relatives need to be pressured in to moving with us, etc.

To be continued...

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:36:16 PM EST

Well the wife & I spent the last couple of days driving around eastern & central PA. on a fact finding mission. The verdict is not exactly in, but here are some random observations...

Pennsylvania is chock full of breathtakingly beautiful scenery! Majestic mountains, rolling farmland, picturesque small towns. Unfortunately, it also suffers from a surprising amount of poverty. I lost count of the number of closed up businesses & dilapidated buildings that we passed on our trip. What businesses there were seemed to just be getting by. Not very encouraging, to say the least.

We drove from the Stroudsburg area through Allentown & we wound up in Hershey. I kind of liked Stroudsburg & the surrounding area, but I have to say that Allentown is a shithole (apologies to anyone who lives there). Sure it has "all the amenities" if by that you mean a fast food joint & a quickie-mart on every street corner. Maybe I didn't see enough of it, but what I did encounter depressed & discouraged me.

We stopped to eat at a couple of "nice" restaurants & I was less than impressed with what passes for fine dining in rural PA. I really don't want to come across as a snob, but I have had microwave meals that were better than what we were served.

On the plus side, most everyone we met was polite, friendly, and courteous. It was a nice change of pace & I could get use to it.

In short, what we experienced was a mixed bag. Stroudsburg is only an hours drive from the GWB, houses & taxes are cheap, and with East Stroudsburg University so close by, I might actually get off my lazy ass & earn my Masters Degree (they offer programs in History & Poli Sci). On the down side, there are few employment opportunities to speak of, there is not much "culture" in the region, & we would not know anyone within a hundred miles.

The jury is still out on us moving to PA. Another trip is in order. Houses need to be looked at. Education & employment opportunities need to be explored. Friends & relatives need to be pressured in to moving with us, etc.

To be continued...

Thats funny! The wife and I did basically the same thing and came pretty much to the same conclusion. We made our trip this past Monday and Tuesday, the only difference was, we went down to Lancaster. We looked at some of the new home builders, we found some very good quality builders, but we thought the taxes were a bit high, for the new construction, not resales, IE: $350000.00 house = $6500 taxes. We didn't see alot of closed businesses, there was an outlet mall with about thirty stores, super markets, restaurants, etc..
After Lancaster, we headed north through Reading and into Lehigh to check home builders there. Reading SEEMED as you described Allentown, although we were just passing through, we didn't stop to really give it a look. When we arrived at Lehigh, actually Macungie, again as you described, really nice rolling hills, farms, etc., but there seemed to be less in the way of shopping, it is the country.

It's still up in the air for us as well...........
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:37:59 PM EST
I would stay far away from Allentown and Reading. Also stay very far away from Philadelphia. Stroudsburg isn't bad neither is Blue Bell. You might want to checkout near New Hope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:50:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 8:51:14 PM EST by rugby]

Originally Posted By mikepenn33:
I would stay far away from Allentown and Reading. Also stay very far away from Philadelphia. Stroudsburg isn't bad neither is Blue Bell. You might want to checkout near New Hope.

I grew up in Central Bucks County. The area is exploding with growth. I dont think Blue Bell or New Hope are good choices unless you like typical suburban yuppie living. I just moved from the Buckingham area, just outside of Doylestown, to Southern Lehigh County. When the wife and I first moved we really missed the area. 2 years later we couldn't be happier to be where we are at. Everytime we go to visit her parents in New Hope or mine in Buckingham it seems we encounter a new stop sign, traffic light, housing development or store every time we go. Not to mention traffic has become a noticeable problem. This area might seem like a nice fit for you now but I can promise you the area fall apart in the next 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:10:26 AM EST
Thanks for the suggestions, it helps alot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:14:58 AM EST
The best thing to do is keep driving around and see which place feels like home.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:24:49 PM EST
I grew up in NY and I hafta say they have a much better school and college system than Pa. Every county in NY has a Community College whereas Pa. doesn't. As far as High Schools, they just have started state tests to measure progress. NY has had the Regents system for at least 30 years.
NY's State University system is highly rated in US News & World Report. Only the private colleges in PA. get the ratings. PA. is a Commonwealth like Virginia, but Va. in my mind is very big on education. All their lottery money goes to funding education.
When I lived in No. Va. I found every fourth house was from western or central Pa. Real lack of job growth in Pa. unless you want to work at Harley.
Virginia and Maryland are the two job boom states on the east coast. Drawback is the housing prices have skyrocketed. That's why I'm in Pa. now, lower housing cost and lower taxes, just don't expect NY type services here.
Pa. & Va. are the two best gun states on the east coast.
PS..I have noticed the Pocono region has more NY & NJ accents than native accents anymore.
Try getting over the I-80 Delaware bridge on a Friday afternoon. Its backed up for miles.
They also run daily commuter buses to the Port Authority building everyday now too.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:50:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By palmer:
How is Macungie, lower, upper, whatever?

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller........

It is the fastest growing part of lehigh county. Upper Mac is police served and part of the parkland school district. Lots of industrial parks. Lower Mac is past of the emmaus school district State police coverage (=NO Police) All residental. Average house price from what they are bulding now 150,000+ The town os Macungie is really nice except when they have the car shows on the wekend during the summer the place is jamed. There is a gun store in Macungie (Never Been there) and one in emmaus. There are private clubs near by with shooting ranges. Also in Lower Macungie is the town of Alburtis, very small only on cop on duty at a time.. Doug Konegh (Sp) the pistol shooting champ lives there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:51:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By mikepenn33:
You might want to checkout near New Hope.

I hear that is where NJ's Gov is going to be moving to
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:49:28 AM EST

To be continued...

Your description sounds a lot like upstate New York, say anything above Syracuse...

As an FYI, PA has a lower unemployment rate than NY. 5.3% in PA, 5.9% in NY. NYC unemployment rate is 7.5%. NY per capita income is higher ($38k to $33k) , but our taxes, insurance, and housing costs are usually much lower. You can go to this site to compare cost of living of your current home with some proposed places in PA: Cost of Living Comparison

Sometimes first impressions can be deceiving.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:20:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 6:21:52 AM EST by palmer]
Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

Your description sounds a lot like upstate New York, say anything above Syracuse...

As an FYI, PA has a lower unemployment rate than NY. 5.3% in PA, 5.9% in NY. NYC unemployment rate is 7.5%. NY per capita income is higher ($38k to $33k) , but our taxes, insurance, and housing costs are usually much lower. You can go to this site to compare cost of living of your current home with some proposed places in PA: Cost of Living Comparison

Sometimes first impressions can be deceiving.

This is what I'am thinking. I think it will take numerous trips to look around and find a location. It's impossible to cover that much ground in two days, it's of driving.
Top Top