Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2003 7:42:44 PM EDT
I have a problem and I need a little help with it from you guys.  I am putting this on this board instead of the GD in hopes that the dumb/smart a*s comments will be kept to a minimum.

I am trying to purchase my wife a semi-auto rifle and am having problems finding one that she can handle.  The main problem is that she is only 5'2 and has short arms.

We have tried the following rifles-
M1 Garand, M14/M1A, Cetme, HK91 and these rifles were to heavy/long and have excessive recoil for her.

AK in 7.62x39-recoil is a little better, stock is somewhat shorter and she likes the sites.

AR's- She has shot several and the weight seems to be a factor again and the stocks are to long.  I have a friend that has an AR with a stubby stock so we will try that one next.

AK in 5.45 I have never seen or shot one of these so I don't know how they differ from the AK47's

What am I missing here guys?  About the only thing that I can think that I haven't tried is an M1 carbine.  Which is a decent short range rifle but that is just another caliber I would have to buy.  But maybe that is the only option.

Any suggestions?  What do your better halves shoot?  I can't imagine that I am the only one that has this problem.  I have to be overlooking something.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My ex was 5'nothing and shot my AR's with little problem, they all had a collapsible stock.

As for weight, 16" Lightweight barrel, butt naked, no SWAT ninja stuff...

Also maybe a 10/22 with a synthetic stock?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
She has a 10/22, just looking for something with a little more punch to it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
EZ recoil, adjustable stock, lightweight...

I think your description screams AR...

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
AR, A1 profile barrel, collapsible/stubby stock, in the 6-7lb range.

Never been a problem for any of the small gals I've taken shooting.

If you want, we can link up someplace and she can try the car gun or Michele's carbine.

[edited to add proposal]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Never been a problem for any of the small gals I've taken shooting.

If you want, we can link up someplace and she can try the car gun or Michele's carbine.

[edited to add proposal]

I appreciate the offer.  After we have our first child with in the next few weeks I might take you up on that offer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, shooting while pregnant is not a good idea. Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[edited to add proposal]

Yep, my wife is 5' 7" and she has no trouble with an A2 length stock.  For smaller statured individuals, Tweak nailed it.  If feasable, a multiposition telestock would be optimal, but a fixed A1 length stock might work too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is 5'1" and can shoot the hell out of AR, again with a retractable stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I know a lot of people will disagree , but I would check out the M1 Carbine.....light , handy , plenty of punch at short range , I hear good things about the IAI ones (Israeli) , and you do not pay nearly as much as you wpould for an original GI , oh , and if you do think to go down this road , avoid anything from Universal...hope this helps

t
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know a lot of people will disagree , but I would check out the M1 Carbine.....light , handy , plenty of punch at short range , I hear good things about the IAI ones (Israeli) , and you do not pay nearly as much as you wpould for an original GI , oh , and if you do think to go down this road , avoid anything from Universal...hope this helps

t

You beat me to it....

The M-1 carbine is great for smaller gals. She already has a 10-22, this is about the same size. a little more punch. IMI makes a good rifle, the mags are cheap, and you can get newer suprlus ammo at most of the shows.

I honestly think you can not do any better than the IMI Carbine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
How about the "Entry Stock"  Gives here a bit more control for the amount of increased weight.  
Scorpion34 OUT!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright you Carbine fanatics. I guess the question to NightSniper should be;
"What is she going to use her rifle for?"
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Her answer is to be able to go out and enjoy shooting with me other then taking her 10/22.  Basically she wants to make a little more noise and be able to be around the boys and not feel so under-gunned.

My respone would be for a defensive rifle.  She might shoot in a match or two at the ladies fun matches but nothing more.

Anyone know where there is an M1 Carbine at a decent price?  An in state PS is a plus also.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, it's her rifle so it's here choice, so who cares what you got to say?.

Seems a shoot off is in order. Who's got a Carbine they're willing to pitch in?

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Nightsniper, you sure you're gonna be able to handle her having the M1 carbine and you not having one? Mabye you should get two!!!!

Anyhow, after she gets the baby out I'll lend you my AR with the entry-stock on it and she can see how she likes that first.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an AK in 5.45 I think it shoots way nicer than the 7.62. Not as much kick and not as much barrel rise.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll third the M1 carbine. It's nice light little package, albeit a little on the anemic side in the ballistics department. I've got a shooter grade 1943 Inland that was brought back to the US by Blue Sky back in the late 80s and not only is it a fun shooter, but a great piece of history, too. One of those guns you wish could tell you it's story. My wife is 5'2, 125-ish and the little Carbine fits her just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top