Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/22/2003 2:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 2:10:05 PM EDT by Robbo]
Hey AZ arfcommers. I'm driving from Abilene, TX to San Diego, CA starting tomorrow morning. I am hoping to make the first stretch Abilene, TX to Tucson, NM....and hope to make it into Tucson around dinner time.

Anyone know of a campground that wouldn't be too far off of I-10? Or even better...anyone want to let me park in front of their house? (I'm driving an Explorer that I don't mind camping out in)

Also, and perhaps most importantly...any local places to eat that you would recommend as "must go to" places in Tucson?

Unfortunately I won't have any "toys" with me because I'm driving out to drop off the car for my wife who is going to be in SD for a month, and then flying back to TX.

I would've checked here earlier but I was planning to stay with a family member in Las Cruces, NM...I just decided I'd like to get a little farther down the road before stopping...

Email is rob14415@hotmail.com. Put ar15.com in the title..or AZ or something so I'll recognize it.

I'll check my mail tonight and tomorrow before leaving and will try to check back here if I can.

Thanks for any help!
Rob
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 10:55:24 PM EDT by futuredan]
Yikes, I hope someone told you Tucson is in Arizona, but not much further than Las Cruces, about 265 miles. I am in Mesa, so I cannot offer the hospitality that you request. BUT, I was born and raised in Tucson so have answers to two of your questions.

1. For Quality Mexican food take the Congress St. exit to the right for 2 tenths of a mile to Granada. Turn right and continue South for four tenths of a mile to Cushing St. Right after that you should see "El Minuto Cafe" on your right.

2. Retrace your steps back to I-10 and There is a KOA campground past the city somewhere shortly past Ina Rd. Someone else might know something closer to downtown.

If you have a GPS I can give you nav points to the exits and the eatery.

BTW, if you were just looking for a good place to have a beer, go East/right off of Ina about a mile and look for the Old Father Inn on the North side of the road. Again, you are nearly past Tucson when you get to Ina Rd.

Have a great trip, and enjoy Arizona.
Dan
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2003 5:58:47 AM EDT by Robbo]
Thanks Dan! Exactly what I needed. I don't have a GPS but thanks for the offer of coordinates.

Well, I'm off... I've got plenty of CD's and audio books to keep me company for the next 2 days I hope to be eating good Mexican food tonight.

Thanks for the wishes..and I promise to enjoy AZ. My family lived there until I was 2 and after that we went back often to visit grandparents when I was a child. For some reason it's always been the state I've thought I would want to move to if I left TX.

Rob
Top Top