Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 9:51:36 AM EDT
Hey guys, hows it going? I am in NoVa for the summer doing some work in DC (still staying in VA though) and I found a handgun on the EE that tickled my fancy. I was wondering if someone could help me out and explain the legal aspects- am I able to purchase it by having it shipped here, even if I am a nonresident? Or will I have to wait till I get back to Iowa? All of my ducks are in a row - legal age, not a felon, etc.

Thanks in advance.

- This is a beautiful state, by the way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If the seller is in IA then IA's FTF laws (if any) apply.  If the seller is not in IA then the transfer will be FFL to FFL.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the seller is in IA then IA's FTF laws (if any) apply.  If the seller is not in IA then the transfer will be FFL to FFL.

It would not be coming from Iowa, but CT.

I figured it would be an FFL to FFL, I just didnt know if there was any extra laws that I was unaware of, and I just dont want to do it the wrong way.

Iowa hardly has any FTF laws. Its kinda nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured it would be an FFL to FFL, I just didnt know if there was any extra laws that I was unaware of, and I just dont want to do it the wrong way.

What the nice lady is saying is that if you are an Iowa resident you must have the handgun shipped to an Iowa dealer to hold for you. Virginia FTF handgun law only applies between two VA residents and a VA FFL cannot transfer the handgun to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the nice lady is saying is that if you are an Iowa resident you must have the handgun shipped to an Iowa dealer to hold for you. Virginia FTF handgun law only applies between two VA residents and a VA FFL cannot transfer the handgun to you.

Gotcha, thats what I was looking for.

Thanks for the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top