Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 2:03:31 PM EDT
We just hired a guy who has tons of potential, not only at work but as a gun nut too. The sad part is he lives in Mass.

I am directing him to lurk here. Hopefully he will register and make his first post here. Go easy on the guy, he does not know squat but he found handguns on his own and has come to like them. I can tell he is ready for a rifle. I can train him when he flies out here on business.

What is the easiset way to get in to a carbine while living in Mass? I don't know your laws, I just know they are screwed up. I will review some of the recent posts here in this forum too.

So what can you guys buy and own in state? Is the only issue in your state mags over 15 rounds or some silly shit like that?

I was thinking get him started on an SKS then move to an AR or AK and give his wife the SKS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:10:28 PM EDT
If he wants to own any firearms he needs an FID, this lets him have rifles and shotguns that hold no more than ten rounds

If he wasnts high capacity rifles he needs an LTC class A or B. The Class A will also allow him to have large capacity handguns.

Rifles, shotguns, and pistols are governed under the same rules as the old federal AWB.

Magazines must be either preban or are limited at 10 rounds.

Pistols must satisfy a "consumer protection" law. This basically means that lots of handguns cannot be sold in state (no glocks at all). This doesnt apply to handguns in state before the law went into effect in 1998?

To apply for an FID or an LTC he should go to his police station for forms. He will need to provide proof of having attended a firearms safety class.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:57:42 AM EDT
As long as your friend is willing to drop a lot of cash on pre-ban guns and if he lives in a gun friendly town, then he should have no problem getting a carbine or whatever long gun he can afford.

As Freepster outlined, the first step is to meet with the chief and apply for a LTC Class A. Don't bother with the others license types. Assuming he is approved, then he needs to find a dealer he likes and then find the pre-ban carbine he wants and have it shipped to his dealer. As long as the gun is truely pre-ban then he should be able to purchase it.

Pistols are another story and he is relegated to SIG, Berettas, S&W and a handful of other manufactures that submitted guns for testing and were signed off by the AG.

Recommended Dealers in eastern MA are Four Seasons or We Are Guns. There aren't any real good dealers in Central MA / Worcester Area, but you can always try The Gun Room in Shrewsbury if you can't make the drive to the other two in Eastern MA.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 12:06:37 PM EDT by Zoub]
excelent info guys, thanks.

He has a class A license.

It sounds like he can run the equivalent of a new post ban carbine with pre-ban mags.

He can buy a pre-ban from out of state and have it shipped to his FFL.

It sounds like you can NOT buy a pre-ban Glock from out of state and have it shipped in?

You have in essence created your own pre-ban class of handguns with state laws you now have. So if you want to buy a hi-cap handgun, you can only buy what is in the stores now or pony up for a pre-ban price on an in state gun that is hi-cap, like an old Glock.

Damn guys, I feel for you. We have jobs here in gun freindly Indiana where I work, feel free to IM me for help getting one.

Top Top