Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 2:24:55 PM EDT
 I want a high capacity side folder with a threaded barrel and was thinking about this one.Atlantic Firearms Any advice, insight, experience, knowledge and info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Advice?

Get an AR-15 instead... say no to the Commie Gun!!!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Atlantic is good to go, but I would'nt pay that much for an AK ever but that;s just me. Everyone I've talked to has had a good experience with Atlantic Firearms.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
price looks pretty steep IMO. that's an aftermarket side folder on an overpriced AK. would be cheaper to buy your average romak and do the work yourself. If you do like side folders would you look into an underfolder? I have a yugo underfolder that shoots well. made by century arms.... I know I know century this and century that, but the only feed problem I had with it I sent it back in (lifetime warranty) and they repaired it. It functions flawlessly and I get alot of fun out if it. I've done 75rnd drum mag dumps and it even stays pretty cool. no melting handguards like the crappy plastic stocks.

eta* to add pics.

this is an old pic... don't have any recent ones.
and yes those are LC M855P back when they were cheap!!
eta2 and the 7.62 brass is the old school yugo surplus brass that was going around a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
definately let the guys here help you out. That rifle is way overpriced. I have shot a couple of ak's and honestly the ar's are more accurate IMO. But if thats your preference this group of malcontents and Ass Clowns know more about weapons than anyone else I know. That being said start doing research and check the EE area of this website for good deals, and above all keep asking questions.  Good luck!!

my .02
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Arsenal SLR107CR - but I paid $800...
It folds to the side and has a threaded barrel.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
 I have a 9" 9mm, a 16" .556, and a 26" 6.5 grendel, I'm good on AR's for now. I want a good AK and would prefer a side folder. Building one myself might just be the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd210/kcolg30/AK47_new.jpg
That's a nice AK, is it a 47 or 74?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a solid side folder, I'd say go with a Polish Tantal. Mines in the mail.

rifle $449
transfer $15( depending on FFL)
Tax $30
shipping$15

built on a DCI receiver with a Chromelined barrel
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I am with you Brother.  I love that AK, like you I own a bunch of AR's (6) but there is something fun about an AK, and a well made (relatively) is a pleasure to won and shoot.  I would go for it if it is what you like.  I have a couple of the Vector Arms AKs and absolutly love them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Advice?

I never thought I'd like any AK. My Yugo M92 changed that...

(My gun, not me shooting...)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Honestly I am with you Brother.  I love that AK, like you I own a bunch of AR's (6) but there is something fun about an AK, and a well made (relatively) is a pleasure to won and shoot.  I would go for it if it is what you like.  I have a couple of the Vector Arms AKs and absolutly love them.

Go noles as well!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Advice?

farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2546127278_b944b4495f_b.jpg
 Good sights, SBR I like that!  I believe I saw that in the thread to end all thread's. A trip on to the island.  You are making me think about getting a pistol only to SBR it later.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
here's a similar AK, about 200$ cheaper.
www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/p/romanian-ak-47-gp75-762x39-american-made-receiver-barrel/cPath/209_214/products_id/2128
if you look around I'm sure you'll find much cheaper.
or a nicer model here:
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bulgarian_SSR-85_7.62x39_Rifle.html
  I like the Bulgarian, but it would take some work to change it to a side folder.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd210/kcolg30/AK47_new.jpg
That's a nice AK, is it a 47 or 74?

It is a 47

(7.62x39)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here's a similar AK, about 200$ cheaper.
www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/p/romanian-ak-47-gp75-762x39-american-made-receiver-barrel/cPath/209_214/products_id/2128
if you look around I'm sure you'll find much cheaper.
or a nicer model here:
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bulgarian_SSR-85_7.62x39_Rifle.html
  I like the Bulgarian, but it would take some work to change it to a side folder.

the same people who make the stock on that bulgy, (KVAR) make a side folder for it. you can find it for about $100. it's the same exact stock on that other atlantic AK.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you want a commie gun why not get a Russian made Saiga. They are great weapons and come in .223, 762x39, .308, .410, 20 and 12 gauge. Of course you will have to convert it to accept high cap mags and a pistol grip. Converting a Saiga is easy as long as you take your time and do it right.
Here are some links with info on the Saiga.
forum.saiga-12.com/
Dinzag Arms- Sells all the parts you will need.
Basic Saiga Conversion

Before Conversion

After Basic Conversion

Here's Mine
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Since you want a commie gun why not get a Russian made Saiga. They are great weapons and come in .223, 762x39, .308, .410, 20 and 12 gauge. Of course you will have to convert it to accept high cap mags and a pistol grip. Converting a Saiga is easy as long as you take your time and do it right.
Here are some links with info on the Saiga.
forum.saiga-12.com/
Dinzag Arms- Sells all the parts you will need.
Basic Saiga Conversion

Before Conversion
i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/p_saiga.jpg
After Basic Conversion
i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/saiga762.jpg
Here's Mine
i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/Sagia-04.jpg

here is a Saiga .308 I did for a customer. I did my own conversion parts(muzzle,handguard retainer,removing the oldtrigger guard and adding a new one, new Tapco FCG,and replacing the butt stock)

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
my only thing is with the side folder, while looking cooler, and being more compact when needed, seemed to have a bit more muzzle jump. But that could also be just me
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Advice?

farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2546127278_b944b4495f_b.jpg
 Good sights, SBR I like that!  I believe I saw that in the thread to end all thread's. A trip on to the island.  You are making me think about getting a pistol only to SBR it later.

That was the one!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Atlantic did a group buy for us on a Vecor Yugo underfoldr a while back.  I picked one up and love it -- but I dont enjoy shooting it as much as my AR's.  Atlantic is a great guy and I think he offers a $50 discount to ARFCOM members -- at least he did last year.

I'm in the middle of a Bulgy 74 Krink build but I am also considering buying this from Atlantic:

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=493

AK47 Rifle  SSR 85 Classic  ,762 x 39 semi auto  , These are Imported Bulgarian built rifles, they are not Kit builds,  featuring  hammer forged chrome lined barrel with threads & removable flash hider / brake , built on a  Bulgarian 1.6 mm heavy duty receiver , thicker than the standard 1 mm units , rivals the strength of milled units , the thicker receiver and beefy barrel  make a more durable and accurate rifle ,  beautiful blonde wood stock set , 100% new , 1 year warranty, comes with 1- 30 round mag & owners info, and will be shipped in a padded rifle assault case for protection & storage & backed up by a 1 year warranty.

Expect approx order time of 3 -4 weeks

SSR 85  Classic  $599.00
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#22]
another thing to take into consideration, with an underfolder you cannot install a scope rail. well you can, but you will not be able to fold under because it will hit the scope rail. I drilled into the side of my receiver and mounted a rail, but the only way to mount the scope was removing the entire underfolder assembly and sliding it on, then installing the UF again. the button to lock the position of the stock is in the way. I removed that junk and If I ever do scope it again I'd use a receiver mount scope. but with an under folder and some side folders the POSP type scope is out of the question. I think the KVAR will work because it folds either way.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#23]
listen dude, the one you want is only 125.00  bucks above the cost of building the same identical one, if you want that one buy it,if not dont!  personally if any of you arfster can show me a american made (not mark krebs) AK better made than killerones, I'll buy it for you!( or eat it,whichever)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#24]
 Thanx for the info guys, it all helps and I certainly have heard some stuff here that I would not have thought about.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Atlantic Firearms is a member here on this site and there prices are up to par that I have seen in my past shopping for AK's. Never heard of the builder that is shown. The Arsenals are some of the best. I have  a Vector that is sweet but it is a underfolder. Here is my lil side folder. And others. Did U ask about it in the AK section?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
not many people from duval co. come this far south there mr tuna, but I know killerone(also a member) from building weapons and machining gunsmithing pieces. quite a few of us "down here" know the ol' killerone, but for a better perspective check the sales threads on ak building and parts or talk to tommy @ spikes tactical... and when you do come down bring some of your eastern bloc toys for some fun times!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Just look for a good price on a solid stock ak, and throw a romanian side folder on it.  Very quick replacement (2 screws), and the romanian side folder is the real one, not some after market tapco odd ball piece of junk.

For the best price, I'd be looking for a Romanian AK47 between $300 and $400.  An SAR-1 (side dimples over mag well) would be a better buy than a WASR (no mag well dimples), but they will both work perfectly.

My two Romanian AK's are on the right.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#28]
+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#29]

take that
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Check the AK forum. Some complaints about quality over there. And that ad does not say who built that model.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Check the AK forum. Some complaints about quality over there. And that ad does not say who built that model.

complaints about who?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top