Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:19:21 AM EDT
Hello to all,
I am planning on attending a M16/AR15 Armorer's course at the Sherbourne Co Gov. center.
On the list of equipment needs, it lists:
M16 Tool kit, punches, plastic hammer, small needle nose pliers etc. pretty vague!

My question is what do I really need in a Armorer's kit. I am kinda limited on funds right now as I just bought two new guns (Wife doesn't know ) and the fact that my Dept. is too cheap to pay for this training. Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the MWCA show at the State Fair this weekend.  I got a nice punch & hammer set at one of the MWCA shows a few years ago for $15.  Also, you can get some great advice straight from the horses mouth, i.e., Dustin at DPMS.

(Sorry Dustin, I couldn't resist a cheap shot!)  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm on my way to work, so can't answer it right now...  

LET THE TROLLING BEGIN!!!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll try to get the ball rolling:

-couple of straight blade screwdrivers, allen wrenches to fit any screws (check inside your grip for what screw that uses
-couple of roll pin punches (somebody chime in with the sizes, I'm at "work")
-couple of flat punches (again, sizes...)
-delrin punch
-brass hammer
-bench block (chunk of 2x4 with some holes in it will do in a pinch)
-needle nose pliers
-KROIL!
-lube of choice (Militec-1)
-barrel wrench (Oly Arms if you can get it, otherwise DPMS isn't bad)
-small tube of anti-sieze (the secret mcnielsen ingredient)
-ball peen hammer for FSB
-action block for barrel installation

I'm sure I missed stuff, and now the boss is lurking.  Please add, guys.  Most of the stuff you miss this weekend can be had from Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello to all,
I am planning on attending a M16/AR15 Armorer's course at the Sherbourne Co Gov. center.
On the list of equipment needs, it lists:
M16 Tool kit, punches, plastic hammer, small needle nose pliers etc. pretty vague!

My question is what do I really need in a Armorer's kit. I am kinda limited on funds right now as I just bought two new guns (Wife doesn't know ) and the fact that my Dept. is too cheap to pay for this training. Any info would be appreciated.

Roll Pin Punches 5/64”, 1/8”, 3/32”, 5/32”
Dasco 3/32” Pin Punch  (This punch is long enough for the Bolt Catch Assembly)
Roll Pin Holders
Hammer
Flat Blade Screw Driver
Bench Block (Block of Wood)
Pivot Pin Installation Tool
Oly Arms Universal Barrel Wrench
Hand Guard Removal Tool
Front Sight Tool
Rear Sight Installation Tool
Snap Ring Pliers
Kroil
Militec-1
Anti-Seize
Torque Wrench
Upper Receiver Action Block
Bolt Disassembly Tool
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
borrow the torque wrench from the auto parts store. you can get by without the hand guard removal tool, the rear sight install tool (if you don't do a complete disassembly on the rear site), the upper receiver action block, and the bolt disassembly tool. All of course are nice to have
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
10-4 Thanks for the input guys. Sully I plan on checking in with the instructors to get more details, I would have much rather waited for a Defensive Edge course but this one works out with my current schedule.

James
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]

borrow the torque wrench from the auto parts store.

I got one on special at Harbor Freight for $12.99 + tax recently.  I think that their normal price is $19.99.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top