User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I edited a bit with times.   Just beware of it's sort of 'hard' to get to Lisbon coming from certain directions. Being near Rt.11 is by far the fastest for commute and easiest.
View Quote

Yeah getting to new Middletown from Lisbon was interesting.

Thankfully my work has an extensive carpool network and I can hop in with a group from almost anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I live outside of Canfield in Ellsworth. Went to Canfield.

I would also look at Western Reserve schools.  That covers Ellsworth and Berlin Center area.  If you need any info about Canfield, or the surrounding country areas, let me know. I'm also very well connected into the area, since my family has had a business in the greater Youngstown area for 103 years.

Sports in canfield are very well funded and heavily pushed. Have been since I was in High School (2000-2004) there.  Even before then our middle school and below football team, soccer team, hockey teams were well supported by the parents.

At the HS level, it's about as professional as it gets in OH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8865-Youngstown-Salem-Rd-Canfield-OH-44406/34792290_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Looked at this yesterday. Wood siding was disintegrating and rotting apart. Inside is dated badly. I could deal with one, but both is too much $$$$$$ to fix. Definitely not worth the asking price. Property was gorgeous though.

I'm still looking in the following school districts

Canfield
Crestview
South Range
Poland
Springfield Local
Columbiana Exempted

I think the market is starting to shift a bit, so fingers crossed. Hopefully something pops up in the next couple months.

FYI if any of you guys are into shooting with NV, let me know. I coordinate all the Pittsburgh night meet ups for arfcommers

I would also look at Western Reserve schools.  That covers Ellsworth and Berlin Center area.  If you need any info about Canfield, or the surrounding country areas, let me know. I'm also very well connected into the area, since my family has had a business in the greater Youngstown area for 103 years.

Sports in canfield are very well funded and heavily pushed. Have been since I was in High School (2000-2004) there.  Even before then our middle school and below football team, soccer team, hockey teams were well supported by the parents.

You’re not wrong about Canfield sports.  The best part about Canfield is the sense of community.  There’s a lots of community pride here. The schools, fire and police departments are all well supported.  

My wife always says that Canfield is a great place to grow up poor as the parents, community and schools all look out and provide for the less privileged kids.  She’s not wrong as this community is very caring.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You’re not wrong about Canfield sports.  The best part about Canfield is the sense of community.  There’s a lots of community pride here. The schools, fire and police departments are all well supported.  

My wife always says that Canfield is a great place to grow up poor as the parents, community and schools all look out and provide for the less privileged kids.  She’s not wrong as this community is very caring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8865-Youngstown-Salem-Rd-Canfield-OH-44406/34792290_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Looked at this yesterday. Wood siding was disintegrating and rotting apart. Inside is dated badly. I could deal with one, but both is too much $$$$$$ to fix. Definitely not worth the asking price. Property was gorgeous though.

I'm still looking in the following school districts

Canfield
Crestview
South Range
Poland
Springfield Local
Columbiana Exempted

I think the market is starting to shift a bit, so fingers crossed. Hopefully something pops up in the next couple months.

FYI if any of you guys are into shooting with NV, let me know. I coordinate all the Pittsburgh night meet ups for arfcommers

Yeah it’s really not a bad spot all things considered.

I’m from a wealthy enough background that I could of went to private school.  And I’m glad I went to Public school my entire life.

But I was always sort of an outsider. I technically lived in Ellsworth my entire life. I grew up on a 680 acre farm. So I was the “country” kid.  Still am.  

But Canfield is a good place. A lot of good people.  A lot of people I know from high school still live around the area. I’ve employed people I went to high school with multiple times.  All the contractors and such I use, I went to Hs with. Etc.

But yes. Parents pitch in.  I’m lucky financially, always have been. My parents helped out with the football team and my sisters soccer team, or volleyball team.  They trucked us around to speech and debate.

We made sure the bus garage had fuel.

But it’s a great area. A lot of good, long term families in the area too.  My grand parents live right down the street from CH Campbell and the high school.  I have a lot of fond memories of the JETS team. I went back a few times after college and spoke. Probably should do it more often.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking at another Canfield house Sunday. Big two house property was just divided up. We're going to check out the smaller house/lot.

The big lot would be perfect for a range, it's 21 acres!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking at another Canfield house Sunday. Big two house property was just divided up. We're going to check out the smaller house/lot.

The big lot would be perfect for a range, it's 21 acres!
View Quote

After checking out Canfield listings on Realtor.com out of curiosity, I can't imagine how frustrating house hunting must be for you right now. The market is still nuts there and most of the listings have pending offers right away. To boot, anything with acreage is going for sky-high prices!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

After checking out Canfield listings on Realtor.com out of curiosity, I can't imagine how frustrating house hunting must be for you right now. The market is still nuts there and most of the listings have pending offers right away. To boot, anything with acreage is going for sky-high prices!
View Quote

I'm definitely a couple years late on the move. Wife and I were too busy making sure student loans were gone before looking. Then FJB threatened to fire me and I couldn't risk losing my job after buying house. So the perfect storm of bad timing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Coming out tomorrow to see two homes in Poland and one in Canfield.

ETA: No more Canfield after arfcom intel about the street.

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Checking in.

Wife got green light from her job, zoom interviewed with parochial school this morning went great.

Headed that way sometime this summer, but we are observing the i70 snow rule.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Offer accepted on a Canfield home in under 2 hours!! Posted yesterday right when we got back from looking at two duds in Poland.

Close on 6/29 with immediate possession

Comes with a hot tub and fire pit for arf after hissy fit meet ups

Thanks everyone for the help! Who wants to help move a safe
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Offer accepted on a Canfield home in under 2 hours!! Posted yesterday right when we got back from looking at two duds in Poland.

View Quote

Welcome to the Buckeye State!
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats! City or Township? I'd offer to help with the safe if I wasn't still healing from rotator cuff surgery.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Congrats! City or Township? I'd offer to help with the safe if I wasn't still healing from rotator cuff surgery.
View Quote

Township, thankfully.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
What houses in Poland were "duds"? Congrats on the house.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations and Welcome to Ohio! You upgraded.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What houses in Poland were "duds"? Congrats on the house.
View Quote

4684 Dobbins Rd, Poland, OH 44514

6155 Navajo Pl, Poland, OH 44514
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Township, thankfully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Township, thankfully.

@laxman09

I’ll bet you dollars to donuts you’re city.  

You might want to check that out. lol

Benefits to city: Leaf pick-up and Canfield PD.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@laxman09

View Quote

North of the turnpike, I'm all good. I pulled a zoning map to make sure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@laxman09

Had to pull up the map, and yep, township!

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Good deal!
If you really need help moving the safe let me know. My parents still live off Raccoon not far from you and will give me an excuse to come up and to see everyone. I know the weekend of July 16th I will be there to play in the Canfield Hockey Alumni game but can make it sooner.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good deal!
If you really need help moving the safe let me know. My parents still live off Raccoon not far from you and will give me an excuse to come up and to see everyone. I know the weekend of July 16th I will be there to play in the Canfield Hockey Alumni game but can make it sooner.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer! It's not a big safe, but it's got to go upstairs so it'll be fun trying to not booger up the walls.

My biggest issue is getting Mahoning County to come out to do the septic inspection so I don't lose my rate and closing date.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer! It's not a big safe, but it's got to go upstairs so it'll be fun trying to not booger up the walls.

My biggest issue is getting Mahoning County to come out to do the septic inspection so I don't lose my rate and closing date.
View Quote
You should be able to get them out fairly fast from what my realtor friend said, only hope that it doesn't need updated.
Both of my parents neighbors had to update theirs before they sold. Houses were 50s-60s built however.
Sewers and roofs are always deal killers. I live in an area were I always tell people looking at houses that were "updated" to camera the underground before they get too far into it, tied into a city main or septic.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You should be able to get them out fairly fast from what my realtor friend said, only hope that it doesn't need updated.
Both of my parents neighbors had to update theirs before they sold. Houses were 50s-60s built however.
Sewers and roofs are always deal killers. I live in an area were I always tell people looking at houses that were "updated" to camera the underground before they get too far into it, tied into a city main or septic.
View Quote

Quoted 30-45 days. Possibly sooner since it's only septic and no well

Roof is new thankfully.

ETA: seller already had a private inspection done and is replacing the riser and aerator.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have a good pediatrician recommendation I'm the Boardman/Canfield area. Trying to avoid covid vax fanatics.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I finally made it over the weekend, its been an amazing (and busy) few days but the entire family is so much happier already.

Thanks to everyone for the help along the way. Hopefully yinz guys do meet ups and whatnot out here. I need a place to shoot and to night time things
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to Ohio!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#26]

We had a parade yesterday just for you and the family, welcoming you to town.  Did you make it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We had a parade yesterday just for you and the family, welcoming you to town.  Did you make it?
View Quote

I was there. Have a lifetime supply of double bubble now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Welcome, fellow Ohioan.
Congrats on the new home (and state)!
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Welcome, fellow Ohioan.
View Quote

Thanks

My wife and I say everyday how much we love it here. Quiet, less busy, no neighbors smoking drugs outside, no bus line in front of the house, neighbors who chat outside at night. It like we moved to a different country.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks

My wife and I say everyday how much we love it here. Quiet, less busy, no neighbors smoking drugs outside, no bus line in front of the house, neighbors who chat outside at night. It like we moved to a different country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome, fellow Ohioan.

Thanks

Make sure you take the little ones to the working farm across from the fairgrounds.  And, be prepared for the fair come Labor Day weekend — it’s one of the largest county fairs in the country.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Make sure you take the little ones to the working farm across from the fairgrounds.  And, be prepared for the fair come Labor Day weekend — it’s one of the largest county fairs in the country.
View Quote

Yes, I've heard about this fair once or twice

I'm working on getting my sump situation upgraded and deciding what work bench i want to build right now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone work with pex? I need to tap a line to connect my garage hose bib that was apparently forgotten about. Or know of an honest plumber.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top