Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:41:28 PM EDT
I'm in town for a few days.  Right now I'm off to Cabella's and after that I'm on the hunt for a good steak (two things you can't find in Baltimore).  I'm staying in downtown KC, so hopefully it won't be too tough to find some good grub and a cold beer. I hear "south" is the direction I should be heading.

Where the hell are all the hills????

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm in town for a few days.  Right now I'm off to Cabella's and after that I'm on the hunt for a good steak (two things you can't find in Baltimore).  I'm staying in downtown KC, so hopefully it won't be too tough to find some good grub and a cold beer. I hear "south" is the direction I should be heading.

By hills I am assuming you are referring to the Ozarks ...  Head far south and you'll start to run into good old Ozark Hill country ... Go far enough south and you'll hit my hometown of Springfield, MO.  Enjoy your stay in Missouri.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By hills I am assuming you are referring to the Ozarks ...  Head far south and you'll start to run into good old Ozark Hill country ... Go far enough south and you'll hit my hometown of Springfield, MO.  Enjoy your stay in Missouri.

I live in southern Pa, which is known for its rolling hills. All this flat land takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#3]
We got some good steaks down here in the Hills. C'mon down! Also,  Bass Pro (the Real one, LOL) is down here, and they won't disappoint!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You going to be around on Friday?
I'm heading down to a secluded range by Marshall Mo., about an hour from KC, to get together with my dad and a friend of ours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You going to be around on Friday?
I'm heading down to a secluded range by Marshall Mo., about an hour from KC, to get together with my dad and a friend of ours.

I'm heading home Thursday evening.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm heading home Thursday evening.

Well.... I'm pretty darn busy, but if you'd like to see the NEWEST gun store in the Kansas City area you can come visit me!  Not a whole lot to see at the store just yet --- will be "officially" open in the next 3-4 weeks.

Do come by and see me if you get the chance!  Come by late in the day --- you'll be invited to come to my house for some dinner (grilled --- dead cows or chickens most likely!)!  I'm just a few miles East of the KCI Airport.

Gary
MOORE OUTDOORS! LLC
816-532-2264

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Almost forgot to mention --- Great steaks, cold adult beverages, good music, and swimming in the pool are the major attractions at the "Terminal Velocity" household!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
terminal_velocity - Wow! Thanks for your very generous offer!! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it out there today. I'm still finishing things up here at work, and by the time I get out it will be too late.

As for my impressions of KC...  

Downtown is definately dead once the day folks leave. It won't be for long - the entire area I'm staying in (13th street) is being or already has been raised to build the new "Entertainment District". Their plans are pretty impressive. It will surround the new Sprint Arena (or whatever it's called).

There are PLENTY of great restaraunts here. I had a real nice dinner last night at an Italian place near downtown, but the name escapes me for the moment. Arthur Bryants Monday night was killer. Tonight I had planned on hitting the Pierpont's at Union Station, but a co-worker that lives here pointed out that the Hereford House is the same company, same food (exactly), much cheaper and much closer, so Hereford it is!

Cabela's ROCKS!

No shortage of hot womenz here. I have no idea of the snob factor though. Don't care really, I already have one.

Downtown is a BITCH to drive around with all the construction going on.

I decided to do a comparison of here vs home yesterday since I got out early, and was directed to just drive all the way down Troost Ave to see the ugliness. I drove all the way from downtown to the southern end. All I can say is you guys don't ever want to see Baltimore level nasty. Yours is relatively tame, although obviously dangerous just the same. Maybe that wasn't really a "bad" area, I don't know. It was the worst I've seen here though and I drove around quite a bit yesterday.

Folks here (and most places I've been) are generally a LOT more friendly than northeasterners. Keep it that way!! Every body I've met has been great! Wish I could have met up with some folks from the board though.

Duke_Nukem - I've been eating lunch every day at a little bar next to the Justice building, at 13th and Locust. Food's decent, price is right, and it's really my only lunch option due to time available and location next to the AT&T building. If you're free tomorrow and want to do lunch, I'll  buy! Let me know and we can trade cell #'s.

I'm going to hold off on "night life" activities. Nothing close enough to the hotel worth going to and I'm not about to go very far just to drink some brews, especially with no designated driver available. Besides, drinking alone sucks.

Overall, seems like a pretty nice city to me (as cities go). I'll always be a country boy though!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice review of our town, Gus!

Depending on where on Troost you drove, yeah, that's our 'hood.  But, during the day it is pretty safe.  I work near Crown Center, which sounds like you were at quite a bit.  To get home I take 27th over to South 71 Highway.  At 2am.  I have seen many drunk driving fatalities, a couple stolen car chases, people doing 80 mph the wrong way on one way streets, witnessed several felony stops.  I have had drug dealers wave Hipoints at me and scream 'I'm gonna kill you white boy' as I drive by.

Glad I have CCW!

KC is an okay town, as you noticed, there is NOTHING to do here once the sun goes down.  We have Westport, and that's it.  Sigh.  But, it's a good place to LIVE.  Clean, realtively low crime for the most part.  Too liberal, and getting moreso unfortunately.  But, get out in the suburbs, especially on the MO side, and things are pretty okay.  And Cabela's does indeed rock!  I go out there about every other week, and it's almost an hour drive!  We're getting a Bass Pro Shop soon too, will be interesting to see how they try to compete!

Let us know a bit more in advance next time you're headed this way if you can.  I'll gladly take you out to the range!

Dave
ARinKCMO
Kamicosmos elsewhere on the web (THR, TFL, Mocarry)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
gus,

Sorry we didn't the chance to meet.  DO come visit the next time you're in the K.C. area!!

Gary
www.mooreoutdoors.biz
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Hereford is badass, but you went to Bryant's instead of JACK STACK??????  Fool!!!!!!

Too bad I missed this thread when you were in town, could have helped.  Zona Rosa up north is starting to be a good place to have fun after dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top