Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3815+Dry+Creek+Dr+austin,+texas&ll=30.343102,-97.763815&spn=0.017704,0.045147

I heard the
screeeeccchhhBLAMBeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp
from inside my house a few minutes ago.  I about live about 200 yards from a fairly busy road (see map--that's not my address, but at the apex of the turn near the address is where this happened).  I walked outside to see if it had been near my back yard, then to the front where my neighbors invited me over to see (they live on the edge of 2222, so they have front-row seats).  

2222 has two lanes each way, and a center turn lane at this point--speculated that one car was turning left onto dry creek, and the other was coming down hill (westbound) in the left lane, and hit them.

Looked like a pair of lexus ES300's or es400's did a head on.  One was spun into the gas station, the other was left in traffic.  It wasn't full-head-on, more like 30%.  Both had their front headlights pushed back to mid-engine bay.  Airbags were deployed in the close car, the far car wasn't lit well enough to see.  Fire/EMS response was under three minutes, by the time I was in viewing distance, they were already on their way.   Several drivers who witnessed had stopped.  

No, no pics.  I'll try and get some of the roadway for reference at some point.

Two ambulances visited, there were definitely bad injuries.    

This road is VERY twisty and has mid-range speeds--it's fun to drive in stretches on a nice day.  The particular area where this occured is a lower-visibility area due to the decline and curve.  A driver not paying attention going down the hill could easily top 50mph or more.  The downhill direction makes it hard to see where a car is if they are in the turn lane.  

The Neighbors said an accident occurs around this particular stretch roughly once a month.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope everyone is ok.  

ETA: Just looked at the map. I'm quite familiar with the area. 2222 always keeps me on edge when I'm on it at night. I don't have to be on it very often but I pay very close attention to other cars when I do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it at the intersection of Dry Creek and Northland?  Or, up Dry Creek a ways?

mm
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was it at the intersection of Dry Creek and Northland?  Or, up Dry Creek a ways?

mm

Right at the shell station--looked like the one car was trying to turn onto Dry Creek.  Unsure who ended up in the gas station's lot, but one of them skidded in there.

Saw a Mercedes SLK55 flipped near the 360 end 1/4 mile up from County line one night as well.  The fire department must hate that road, they're right there at the end of the really curvy section too.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate driving that road in the rain.  It is bad enough when it is dry in the daytime.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife travels that way every morning....alwas made me nervous.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's a nasty intersection there.

+1

Especially when you're Eastbound on 2222, and that turn makes it difficult to see cars coming down the hill around that corner. Westbound cars are usually speeding too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]

You described the accident I ALMOST had at that same intersection a few years ago!

I was driving a Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton pickup westbound and a high-buck import turns into the service station. I had to get on the brakes hard enough so the anti-lock was in full control and did some fancy steering. The fact that the anti-lock brakes kicked in full on dry pavement tells me that I was standing on that brake pedal. That truck has great brakes!

Thank God there was no other traffic in the oncoming lanes or I would have had to T-bone the stupid wretch who turned in front of me.

That is NOT a wonderfully safe intersection.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
A bad place to have a wreck.  We have even lost a few patrol units on 2222.  Is this the wreck  on RR2222  from this morning?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A bad place to have a wreck.  We have even lost a few patrol units on 2222.  Is this the wreck  on RR2222  from this morning?

This was last night about half an hour before I posted.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I work right around the corner from that intersection.  You really have to pay attention to the other cars when turning off of Dry creek.  We get a lot of bad accidents at the stop sign of Balcones and Parkcrest too.  People just roll thru the stop sign on a regular basis
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to reread this to figure out that you weren't actually living at the old Pit Bar-B-Q or the vetrinarian's office!  Which were suspiciously close, frankly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had to reread this to figure out that you weren't actually living at the old Pit Bar-B-Q or the vetrinarian's office!  Which were suspiciously close, frankly.

That's always an odd coincedence, I do say.  The bbq's just ok (County line's right down the road), but the vet seems like a decent place.   (The address on the link is for the Pit, btw)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's always an odd coincedence, I do say.  The bbq's just ok (County line's right down the road), but the vet seems like a decent place.   (The address on the link is for the Pit, btw)

I have heard that it is a decent place.  Dr. Baker and Dr. Lee at Allandale Vet Clinic has rave reviews from some friends and relatives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top