Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:59:04 AM EDT
Does anyone have a headspace gauge for an AR that I can barrow?  I have just bought a new upper and will be buying a new bolt and carrier within the next gew weeks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a gauge but on a related note, does one need to adjust headspace anytime you switch bolt/carriers in an AR?  Just wondering because I was going to get spare parts and want to know if I need a guage as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I am being told you need to check headspace on any Bolt/Carrier that did not come from the factory in the upper.  

I just bought a brand new Bushmaster upper w/o the Bolt/Carrier in it.  So I have been told that before I shoot the new upper with a new Bolt/Carrier in it that for safety headspace needs to be checked.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Then I guess another stupid question is in order.  How do you adjust the headspace if it needs to be?

"there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.."
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Well this sounds stupid but I have been told that headspace is set at the factory.  If your headspace is out you have to try different Bolt's/Carrier's until you find one that works.  Now to me that doesn't sound correct.  

Maybe there is someone smarter then me on this board that could tell both of us the proper answer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Nightsniper, did you post this question anywhere else on the board?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Even the limited free search function will lead you to answers around here fellas.....

Headspace in Detail
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
And that brings me back to my origional question.  Anyone have a gauge that I can barrow.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top