Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 6:26:27 PM EDT
By the calendar this bill was scheduled for executive session in committee today.

That means closed doors, no public attendence.  

I don't yet have any information as to what may have happened if anything did happen.

I'm trying to get some information for us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Kline  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
By the calendar this bill was scheduled for executive session in committee today.

I don't yet have any information as to what may have happened if anything did happen.

I thinking we are gonna have a fight on our hands...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
ahhh will it never end.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
They did vote on the bill in Executive Committee.

The bill FAILED on a 5-3 vote (Hargrove absent).  Voting for were
Kline, Weinstein and Thibaudeau.  Voting against were Johnson, McCaslin.
Carrell, Esser, all Rs, and Rasmussen -- D.  

The scads of phone calls into Rasmussen's office worked.  Even if she had voted for the bill, it
still would have been a tie, thus failing to get a majority.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Now Kline can go Sheehan somewhere else to be an attention whore.

Thanks for keepin on top of this Phil!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The scads of phone calls into Rasmussen's office worked.  Even if she had voted for the bill, it

Shes a good Lady and the only Democrat I really like.

Thank her!

[email protected]

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, thanks for this great timely info, Phil!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
My family's known Rasmussen's family for a long time, glad to see her keeping with her rural background..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks everyone for your hard work in phonecalls and letter writing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is this how it works in WA? That is, is it common practice to vote in closed session or did this bill get special treatment? Its unclear why theyd want to go closed session as the voting record is public.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this how it works in WA? That is, is it common practice to vote in closed session or did this bill get special treatment? Its unclear why theyd want to go closed session as the voting record is public.

There are provisions in the WAC and RCW for the holding of closed door meetings by various government bodies.  I jumped the gun, so to speak, with the declaration in my initial post last night that this was a closed door session, however.  I don't have any information that tells me it was in fact a closed session, I made an error in declaring it to be one.

In general executive sessions in the legislature are open to the public but no testimony is taken. Note that in other contexts executive sessions are closed to the public.

If you'd like to hear the committee in action you can go to www.tvw.org/Podcasts/podcastsearch.cfm?EvntType=C&keywords=Senate%20Judiciary and either stream or download the February 01, 2006 audio file.  

I haven't had a chance to listen to it all and make notes yet but the gunshow bill comes up around the 1hr 18 minute mark.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanx! Its interesting that the sessions are 'taped'. Is this done also or a closed session?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not up to speed on all that TVW provides but from the 1-27 GOAL Post

TVWashington conducts live audio coverage of all legislative hearings.
The audio coverage is then available in archive form at TVW’s web site
(http://www.tvw.org <http://www.tvw.org/>). Interestingly, the first
hour of audio coverage of Tuesday’s Senate Judiciary hearing is missing
– the hour devoted to SB 5343. Supposedly a technical glitch involving
remodeling activity in the Cherberg Building is to blame. But the one
hour that was lost is the hour when WASPC admitted it wants to close all
private firearm transfers in the state and acknowledged it has no hard
evidence of guns bought at gun shows being used in crimes.

It appears that closed sessions in the legislature are at best uncommon.

It is interesting, and useful that sessions are taped, and even better that you can download the files for use later.

Last year TVW broadcast the "gun day" bill hearings live on their TV network.

The audio is available to stream online here www.tvw.org/MediaPlayer/Archived/WME.cfm?EVNum=2005010191&TYPE=A

or for $70.46 you can buy a video tape of it.

I think I still have the video tape I recorded of the broadcast  and I know I have it archived to DVD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for keeping us updated, Phil.  I e-mailed the appropriate Senators on the Judiciary Committee thanking them for their "no" vote.

Trey
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Sent Rasmussen a quick email thanking her.

Thanks for keeping us updated Phil.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They did vote on the bill in Executive Committee.

The bill FAILED on a 5-3 vote (Hargrove absent).  Voting for were
Kline, Weinstein and Thibaudeau.  Voting against were Johnson, McCaslin.
Carrell, Esser, all Rs, and Rasmussen -- D.  

Cool.  One battle won, but the WAR is still not over!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool, what disturbs me is that they keep floating this stuff year-after-year and no matter what they never seem to give up. So I guess that means we never give up either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Cool, what disturbs me is that they keep floating this stuff year-after-year and no matter what they never seem to give up. So I guess that means we never give up either.

I'm sure they keep on hoping that "this year" will be "the year".  Maybe in the back of someone's sick head, they are hoping for some kind of "incident" to push their agenda through......

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Just curious but how long can a bill continue to "float" from year to year if it doesn't pass or at least get voted on?.  It would seem that  there must be some point where it must have to be reintroduced.  Any thoughts???

eric
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just curious but how long can a bill continue to "float" from year to year if it doesn't pass or at least get voted on?.  It would seem that  there must be some point where it must have to be reintroduced.  Any thoughts???

eric

Reintroducing bills is done on a regular basis.

During the exectuve session where the Judiciary Committee voted down on SB 5343 Kline said "I think I know where the votes are and I understand that this bill may not pass but it's got to come up every year, and we've got to be faced with this every year, until we have a little sense"

It will most likely be back next year, along with all of the other bills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top