Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
been asked for proof of registration for your assault weapon(s)?

If so, by who? LEO? Rangemaster?

Personally, I haven't. However, I only shoot out on BLM land, and never visit private ranges. Even though all of my assault weapons are registered, I never shoot them if anyone else is present, and I'll put them away if I hear/see a car rattling its way towards me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
never. and i've never heard of anyone being asked.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Never.

Not at public or private ranges, or out in the NF/BLM land. Been around all types of LEO while shooting them at all kinds of places. By myself and with other people present.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, never while shooting.  I did have to get a Tec-9 (I know, I know) worked on once and they asked to see the paperwork but I think they are required to by law.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  And I've never heard of anyone being asked about any kind of Firearm/Magazine legalities.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Never!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Negative.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
YES I HAVE!!!

(actually.... No. I havent... I just wanted to be the first to say "YES")

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Kinda.  I went shooting/fishing about 3 years ago and some dipshit fire-person had a cow when she saw my AR.  She proceeded to give me the third degree about what a criminal I was, blah, blah blah.  There was absolutely no reasoning with her.  Eventually I told her to get bent.  About 45 minutes later Mr. CHP showed up.  I volunteered my shrunken and laminated AW registration card.  He laughed and was kinda pissed that he was called all the way out there for that.  He never even got out of his car.  He was actually spent more time talking to me about fishing that he did with the rifle.  When he left he stopped along side the fire-person, told her something and left.  She did NOT look happy

Steve
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
YES I HAVE!!!

DOH!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
YES I HAVE!!!

Actually the question he gets asked most at ranges is "What the fuck were you shooting at?"  With a close second of "How come you flinch so much?"
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
He now puts a piece of black tape over his serial number, just for privacy sake.

Rock on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I personally have. By a rangemaster at my range (private range). I told him that it wasn't required to be with the rifle, he disagreed. He said he would let it slide, but if the sheriffs showed up i was on my own. I really wanted to tear this rangemaster a new one, and tell him fellow gun owners should be the last ones enforcing the BS registration. But most of these old guys are vets and I guess i just didn't want to get into it with him, I was more interested in just popping off a few rounds. Sucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes I personally have. By a rangemaster at my range (private range). I told him that it wasn't required to be with the rifle, he disagreed. He said he would let it slide, but if the sheriffs showed up i was on my own. I really wanted to tear this rangemaster a new one, and tell him fellow gun owners should be the last ones enforcing the BS registration. But most of these old guys are vets and I guess i just didn't want to get into it with him, I was more interested in just popping off a few rounds. Sucks.

Where did this happen and who was the rangemaster?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He now puts a piece of black tape over his serial number, just for privacy sake.

I heard that this was illegal, is that true?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]

ARTICLE 5. OBLITERATION OF IDENTIFICATION MARKS

12090. Any person who changes, alters, removes or obliterates the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice on any pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, without first having secured written permission from the department to make such change, alteration or removal shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

From the looks of it, anything is game as long as the serial number is not permanently changed or removed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'll post this story again as I think it applies to this subject.

A buddy of mine who regularly shoots at a public range in Northern CA had an incident once with his Oly AR.

His rifle was sitting in the rack behind his shooting bench and out of the corner of his eye he saw a guy squatting to look at his rifle.  This is not so unusual but then he pulls out a digital camera and takes a pic.  My buddy goes over and confronts the guy.  The guy just tells him to back off and shows a badge.  My buddy goes up to the range master to complain and is told there's nothing they can do, these DOJ guys often come to the range to shoot.  This guy was just there shooting, not on any official business.

FWIW my buddy has lots of gun bumper stickers about how the can take 'em bullets first and what not.

I believe the AR was registered and my buddy was never contacted by anyone about it.

WOW

That would have freaked me out. There's no telling what that guy had planned to do with that information. Turn you in? Report you to the DOJ? At the least, in which case you wouldn't have much to worry about seeing as the rifle was registered. At the very worst? How about the guy finishing an 80% lower, marking it with your serial number, and doing who knows what with it? And the paranoia of knowing someone has a picture of your assault weapon with its serial number displayed?

Scary things.

I definitely would have approached the photographer, and had him idenfy himself. Agency, badge number, name...etc. On top of that, I would have called the local PD out to investigate the matter. Figure out what his motive/intentions were.

Makes me want to tape up all my serial numbers. Even on my non assault weapons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They may be vets but that doesnt give them a pass to be dickheads to ya.

Like Democrats we are eating our own kind. Gun owners are gun owner's BIGGEST enemy.

But, I DO understand why you didnt wanna get in it with him. All you want is a few hours of R&R shooting guns. I TOTALLY get it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did this happen and who was the rangemaster?

Escondido Fish & Game Assoc. Don't know or even remember the rangemaster's name. At the time I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't required so I posted on here and found out I was correct. My dad is also a member there too and he told me a rangemaster asked him one time as well. My dad does keep a copy in the buttstock, so he showed him. I have since informed my dad what the law really is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
My take on this is, show me your badge or ID before I show you my letter. Otherwise, f**k-off. Most of the LEO I know doesn't even bother ask when they see me with my AR. Sometimes even they know someone with an unregister AW they still don't give a damn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top