Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/6/2011 2:48:18 PM EST
Hi guys –– I have to spend two days in Baltimore in a couple of weeks for a meeting at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. I'll be tied up through the day on both days I'm there, but I will have evenings free.

I could really use advice on good places to stay (and places to avoid, since obviously I can't CCW in Maryland ), restaurants and stuff to do.

I've been told that the area around Johns Hopkins is bad news, and to stay either out around the airport or at a place in the Inner Harbor area.

Any advice or information is very, very appreciated –– thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:28:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By SkullFarmer:
Hi guys –– I have to spend two days in Baltimore in a couple of weeks for a meeting at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. I'll be tied up through the day on both days I'm there, but I will have evenings free.

I could really use advice on good places to stay (and places to avoid, since obviously I can't CCW in Maryland ), restaurants and stuff to do.

I've been told that the area around Johns Hopkins is bad news, and to stay either out around the airport or at a place in the Inner Harbor area.

Any advice or information is very, very appreciated –– thanks!

True. I'd stay in the Inner Harbor. Baltimore is a very cool city.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:52:39 AM EST
The Hopkins area is a train wreck.

I have to stay downtown every year for a conference and we stay here:

http://www.radisson.com/baltimore-hotel-md-21201/mdbalhar

It's the old Lord Baltimore and it might be a little cheaper than right at the harbor since it's a few blocks away.

Be forewarned, parking in Baltimore is outrageous......like crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 4:11:29 AM EST
Get a hotel at the Inner Harbor, a lot to see and do in that area. The harbor area is safe to walk around at night. Most all the bars/resturants are regional or national chains. Phillips Seafood, Hard Rock, Hooters, Mortons Steakhouse, Tri Na Nog…
Some great local restaurants in Little Italy. Most of the hotels offer shuttles to drop you off, and pick you up. Check out Mo’s Seafood.

If you like the bar scene grab a cab to Fells Point. Once you are there you can walk/crawl from bar to bar to bar. Make sure you get a cab back; it is a long ass walk to the inner harbor after drinking.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:31:42 AM EST
If you like beer, Max's Taproom on Broadway is an A++, #1 drinking hole.

Eat elsewhere, though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:54:39 AM EST
Check here. Study your travel routes. FWIW, I hate that city.

http://crimebaltimore.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 9:05:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/7/2011 9:06:52 AM EST by ColonelHurtz]
Baltimore is a friendly place. It was founded by Mormons who liked oysters.
The area around JHH is the cultural center of the city.
You'll find lots of neat little B&B's and boutique hotels within walking distance.
The area really heats up at night with a profusion of jazz clubs, cigar bars and intimate restaurants.

Remember our slogan, "You'll come for the heroin but you'll stay for the chlamydia."
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:30:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
You'll find lots of neat little B&B's and boutique hotels within walking distance.
The area really heats up at night with a profusion of jazz clubs, cigar bars and intimate restaurants.

Remember our slogan, "You'll come for the heroin but you'll stay for the chlamydia."

I thought it was gonorrhea?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:41:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By rwalters17:
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:

I thought it was gonorrhea?

Get both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:28:54 AM EST
Thanks again to everyone for the advice –– here's my AAR:

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a room at the Admiral Fell Inn at Fell's Point. Certainly plenty of bars in the neighborhood. Ironically, I don't drink because of medication I take, but I got one of the best burger's I've had in a long time at Kooper's Tavern.

I've never been to a town where you get so utterly raped on parking.

That aside, it was a nice trip that got cut short because the business I went up there to do got canceled and I had to leave after one night instead of two, so I didn't get to go to Fort McHenry as planned.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:23:17 AM EST
Glad you had a nice trip.

Baltimore isn't all bad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:23:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By rwalters17:
Glad you had a nice trip.

Baltimore isn't all bad.

Thanks –– the meeting I went to town for got canceled right about the time I was checking into the hotel, but I got a couple good meals, slept in a good bed and made ~ $350 in mileage off the trip, plus I stopped at the outlet mall in Hagerstown on my way home and got a good deal on a suit for my wedding this summer.

I would have enjoyed the trip more if I'd had my CCW piece along for the ride, but alas.
Top Top