Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 12:59:52 PM EDT
Hello all...

I've sifted through the forums here about local ranges and everything, but it seems like 100 yard ones are pretty much the longest shots?

I know that Camp Atterbury has 800 yard range, but I know that's exclusive to the Military, but I would LOVE to stretch my rifle out to about 300-800 yards...

Is there any particular reason why there isn't really anyplace that has distances of 100+ anymore? Just thought I'd ask...

-Covert   Anderson,IN.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello all...

I've sifted through the forums here about local ranges and everything, but it seems like 100 yard ones are pretty much the longest shots?

I know that Camp Atterbury has 800 yard range, but I know that's exclusive to the Military, but I would LOVE to stretch my rifle out to about 300-800 yards...

Is there any particular reason why there isn't really anyplace that has distances of 100+ anymore? Just thought I'd ask...

-Covert   Anderson,IN.

Deer Creek, just north of anderson and east of fairmont has a 200 yard range.. Nice place.

Wildcat Vally R&P northeast of lafayette has a real nice 300 yard range, they have High-Power matches there.

You would think that as many shooters as there are in Indiana there would be more 200, 300, and 500 yard ranges...

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, definately... Especially since the Assault Weapons Ban got lifted... Pfff.

Deer Creek just north of Anderson has a 200 yard one? Hmmm interesting, I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the post!

-Covert
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, definately... Especially since the Assault Weapons Ban got lifted... Pfff.

Deer Creek just north of Anderson has a 200 yard one? Hmmm interesting, I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the post!

-Covert

Deer creek has a full auto range also..

To join you'll need to attend a membership meeting and have a sponser... and I forgot when the memebrship meetings are... been so long since I had to attend..

OR - Deer Creek is going to have Hi-Power Matches on Aug 21, Sept 18 and Aug 16.. shooting Garands, M1A's and Ar15's at 200 yds.. you don't have to be a member to shoot at the Hi-Power Matches.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The Waveland Gun Club is primitive, but it has 300 yards.  (765) 435-2403

We can shoot to 240 yards at the Riley Conservation Club near Terre Haute.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Eeeeeh, I don't really want to go someplace that I have to purchase a membership to shoot there... I go to Wilbur Wright in New Castle very frequently, because it's free, close by, and a simple setup for stress relief :-)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy, I believe, owns a 400-yard one in Wheatfield.

Edited to fix the link.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
How about a 1K range?  That's right, 1000 yard range, about 5 miles from my house.  A local farmer built this range in one of his fields.  Had a construction company build a building, and what not.  He has a hohn deer gator that you can use.  I talked with a guy that has shot there, and he just ranted and raved about it.  He said it was "a country club" for shooters.  You have to have a membership to shoot there, and one of his requirements is that you are a member of the NRA.  I have not personally shot there, but plan on going some time.  I think it's aroung $300/year though.

check out his website  Young's Long Shot
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Eeeeeh, I don't really want to go someplace that I have to purchase a membership to shoot there... I go to Wilbur Wright in New Castle very frequently, because it's free, close by, and a simple setup for stress relief :-)

Deer Creek is only $45 a year..

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You are going to have to pay to play if you want over 100-200 yards.

I use Wilbur Wright to site in guns.

20 years ago, it use to be much nicer, the shotgun range was a 100 yard or more range and the other two were covered.  When I moved back to Indiana and went there, I was surprised to see it.  idiots shot the posts in half that held up the roof on the 50.

The best free to public range in the state is at Brookville Reservoir.  It only goes 100 yards, but all positions are covered and have cement tables for rests.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder just how many of you guys I've seen at Wilbur Wright.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm, I dunno... Usually when I go there, it's pretty dead.

I haven't been there in a few weeks, but I hopefully plan on going back there within the next week or two.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It's been awhile for me.  I always go early, rarely talk to anyone and I bitch any dipshit who points his gun at me.  We could easily do an informal meet there sometime.

I want to take my girl friend there to use the shotgun range.  But my damn thrower is down in Kentucky where I deer hunt.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's been awhile for me.  I always go early, rarely talk to anyone and I bitch any dipshit who points his gun at me.  We could easily do an informal meet there sometime.

I want to take my girl friend there to use the shotgun range.  But my damn thrower is down in Kentucky where I deer hunt.

There is the Daleville skeet & trap club, but it costs $4.something per round (25 clays) and you can bring your own shells. It's a really nice place.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wonder just how many of you guys I've seen at Wilbur Wright.

I used to shoot there in the early to mid 90's... If you shot there then we probabaly met.

I used to live just down range about a mile or so and I was there several times a week.,

People used to be able to do full auto there so I would wait and listen for the range to "burp" then I would go down there and pick up the brass.

About 91 or 92 there was a family that would drive up in a mercades (sp), haul MP5's out of the trunk and shoot up about $200 worth of winchester silvertips, put the guns away and leave.

I think the DNR put a stop to full auto about 93.

Before I moved they shut down the 100 yard line because some real estate guy down range complained and tried to shut the whole range down to raise his property values. The DNR compromised with him and shut down the 100 yard range.. I don't know if they ever opened it back up or not... Some of us go a petition going just to keep the range open.. maybe it helped, maybe not..
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OK, dont get your undies in a bunch but you have to realize your average range is taken care of and supported by MEMBERS. That include everything from mowing grass to making range improvements, benches, targets holders and frames, the driveways, any permanant structures like clubhouses, toilets and anything else INCLUDING insurance. That also usually means a secure facility and a safe one.
To just expect for a range that a lot of people (memebers) put a LOT of hours in to just throw open the doors and say "sure, come on and use our range without any thought of helping out with labor or dues" is not gonna happen.
Im not trying to yank your chain but if you want to shoot at a nice facility your going to have to become a member and help out. Its not even that expensive usually, its a matter if pitching in to help as best you can.
If you dont want to do that then your gonna have to live with the free DNR type ranges.   Jasper Polaski has a 225 yard range among others but I dont like going down range and having some shitcago homies or non english speaking types or just plain idiots commiting unsafe acts and having to worry about getting ripped off.
I can go shoot at matches at "clubs" and leave the keys in the car, guns on the seat go off to shoot without a worry.  
Rethink joining a club, you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How about a 1K range?  That's right, 1000 yard range, about 5 miles from my house.  A local farmer built this range in one of his fields.  Had a construction company build a building, and what not.  He has a hohn deer gator that you can use.  I talked with a guy that has shot there, and he just ranted and raved about it.  He said it was "a country club" for shooters.  You have to have a membership to shoot there, and one of his requirements is that you are a member of the NRA.  I have not personally shot there, but plan on going some time.  I think it's aroung $300/year though.

check out his website  Young's Long Shot

This proves there IS a God!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I dont like going down range and having some shitcago homies or non english speaking types or just plain idiots commiting unsafe acts and having to worry about getting ripped off.

amen on that one.  I keep my Glock on me at public ranges
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top