Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 10:52:11 AM EDT by LifeForm]
I wanted to thank everyone at HDI for the beautiful evil black shotgun they put together for me. They are the finest people to deal with and have my appreciation.
It is a Saiga 12 (Russian Kalashnikov 12 gauge) with a Md arms 20 round drum shortened and converted by HDI.

The drum makes a great kickstand
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:46:16 PM EDT
Don't see the pics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:50:28 PM EDT
Oh man.....that gun is Nasty!

I d say it was BORN HARD.....woo hoo!!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 7:16:10 PM EDT by LifeForm]
They were just here Picasa has confused me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 8:01:51 PM EDT by crapshoot]
I see it now. Super nice rig. I may need to borrow that to try out on some coyotes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:02:08 PM EDT
Nice pics, I got to see that when it left the shop today...Thanks again for the coffee and doughnuts...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 9:59:37 PM EDT by LifeForm]
Originally Posted By crapshoot:
I see it now. Super nice rig. I may need to borrow that to try out on some coyotes.

I am going to go chucker hunting with it.

Originally Posted By YFZ4KT:
Nice pics, I got to see that when it left the shop today...Thanks again for the coffee and doughnuts...

You are welcome. Thanks for the gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:26:28 PM EDT
LifeForm,

Sorry for the hijack.

Congrats on your new iron. It looks like the perfect tool to go up against cop killers...

MOURN

Be Safe.

Joe

Back Out...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:50 AM EDT
Damn.... that looks awesome... new age street sweeper?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:36:04 AM EDT
Sweet! Please tell me about the fore grip and it's cost.
With the MD drum installed, I need something longer than the Galil style grip currently on my Tromix build.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:53:21 PM EDT
They look related. Hdi is waiting on the back plate so we can upgrade that buttstock. The tri grip is $200 from http://www.chaosus.com/products.html. It weighs in at 10 oz. and fits right under that front sight. Are those magazine holders custom?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 2:55:02 PM EDT by Vegas-SMG]
Thanks for the reply! I had a couple of extra FAL magazine pouches from DSA, and I removed the top flap to use with the AGP ten round Saiga mags. They fit VERY tight, but these were spares I already had on hand after my FAL needs were met. Cheap too!
FAL magazine pouch

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:06:59 PM EDT
Them some nasty lookin' buggers! Very nice!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:23:04 PM EDT

I have always wanted one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:13:38 PM EDT
You guys along with HDI are causing my wallet to shrink. How reliable are those running Federal Birdshot from Walmart?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:43:09 PM EDT
I only shot it once so far. It ejected 2-3/4 buckshot no problem. The federal walyworld 100 pack ammo did not eject well at first, but it got better for a while before it got too dirty I think. The gun needs some breaking in. I'll polish the friction parts up, drown it in lube and try again. The gas ports can easily be opened up more if it comes to that. HDI will make it 100%.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 1:53:31 PM EDT by Vegas-SMG]
I've owned my gun for over a year, and it's gotten more reliable over time. Initially, my Tromix Saiga was about 90% reliable with the 100 round count Remington value package. All malfunctions were ejection related due to this weak ammo. After a brief break in period and cleaning the piston, it's now near 99%. I've also found the individual 25 round boxes of Federal Game Shok sold behind the counter at WalMart are far more reliable in my gun. This is the black and blue package. It only contains one ounce of shot and isn't considered reliable in Saigas, so mine may be the exception. Also on the plus side is it's a little cheaper too. Try adjusting your gas regulator if you're having ejection problems and note the new gas regulator available from MD Arms. It allows virtually any ammo to function in the Saiga. I'd considered one, but my gun is now running great on cheap ammo.
Saiga Gas Plug

Tromix Operational Tips for the Saiga-12
1. General: You will find that the parts used to assemble each Saiga-12 varies greatly from gun to gun. Your gun may or may not cycle the same ammo that works fine in your buddy’s gun. One gun may cycle fine with the same ammo on gas setting 1, that requires setting 2 in another gun. Many of the guns have mis-drilled gas ports that do not line up with the gas block. If you have a Tromix Saiga-12, the gas ports have been modified as required to allow sufficient gas to the piston in order to cycle the action.
2. Gas Adjustment: There is a gas regulator knob in the front of the gas block, marked “1” and “2”. The “1” setting is for heavy loads and the “2” setting is for light loads. To adjust the setting, depress the small detent in the 7-o’clock position and turn the regulator to either 1, or 2. Keep the regulator screwed into the gas block as far as possible when moving between selections, ie, screw it in completely and then back it out to the desired setting. DO NOT FIRE YOUR GUN ON SETTING NUMBER 2 WITH HEAVY LOADS! You will beat the back of the dust cover in, until it is so short it will begin popping out of the track in the front. I will no longer Warranty this condition if you damage your gun in this manner. When switching to new ammo, always put the regulator on #1 and test fire. If it does not cycle, THEN put it on #2.
3. Trigger Reset: If your trigger is failing to reset, it is most likely due to one of the return spring legs falling off the trigger during shipping. Remove the top cover and insure both hammer spring legs are resting on top of the trigger bars.
4. Ammunition: Most Saiga-12’s will cycle all 1-1/8oz ammunition. I do not recommend firing any of the super light 1oz shells. The very best cheap, light, birdshot ammo is Winchester WW, Super Sport, or Super Handicap. It runs about $4.50 per box and cycles Saiga’s like a champ. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE WINCHESTER “UNIVERSAL” AMMO SOLD AT WALMART. YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. Don’t call me if your gun does not work with this ammo. Any high base heavy loads should work fine in all guns, including buckshot, slugs, and steel shot waterfowl ammunition.
5. Muzzle Brake: If you have a Tromix Shark brake installed on your 18” gun, you should experience about a 15% reduction in felt recoil with only a slight increase in muzzle blast. If you have the brake on an 8” SBS, the back blast will be substantial, and when firing heavy magnum loads, the fire ball may be so severe that it curls back over your forward hand. Burned hair may result. Gloves are highly recommended.
6. Cleaning: Depending on the type of ammunition you are firing, your gas piston may get fouled to the point of malfunction after 200 rounds or 2,000 rounds. To clean, unscrew the gas regulator completely and remove. Remove the top cover and bolt carrier assembly. Using a long shaft, slide it through the gas tube from the rear and knock out the gas piston (puck). Then thoroughly clean inside the gas manifold, clean the piston, and reassemble.
7. DO NOT INSTALL A RECOIL BUFFER IN YOUR SAIGA-12 SHOTGUN!!!!! With a buffer in place, your bolt will barely get rearward far enough to engage the ejector and the bolt will barely clear the case head of the shell in the magazine before going back forward. This will induce all sorts of problems, both feeding and ejecting.
Tony Rumore
Top Top