Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/30/2015 12:48:52 PM EDT
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/robert-farago/hartford-police-caught-stealing-ammo/

Do you guys think it's real or does someone have it out for the guy?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT by GoodOlDave]
Innocent until proven guilty, obviously, but, I wouldn't doubt it in the least. I knew a guy who used to be a member of the Governor's foot guard (which is actually a branch of the Natioanl Guard) who magically had piles of state issued 9mm whenever anyone needed them. That was back in the 80's though, when the state was under O'Neil, the government had money to burn and CT wasn't anywhere near the police state as it is now.

This guy clearly didn't get the memo that in an economic downturn the bean counters will be looking through every account with a magnifying glass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:14:31 PM EDT
Am I surprised? No I am not. In my experience people take from their jobs all the time and do not consider it stealing. It is like if a company pays for it these people are entitled to take some for themselves.

My company as fired people for stealing. When confronted these idiots say I didn't steal. Goes something like "I just used my company toll pass for some tools", "used our fleet fuel card to fill personal car once" or "I took my wife and kid to dinner and said it was a business lunch". These small acts of theft add up. Not only is it stealing you have lost the trust of your superiors and your co-workers.

My company is very liberal with the fuel policy. We can fill our company cars anytime except 3 day weekends and vacations. We can fill up the day before or after a vacation. Pretty cool perk as I only buy 2-3 tanks of fuel per year. Yet some idiots have to fill their wife's car or other personal vehicle. Lose your job over a tank of gas?

This cop is innocent until proven guilty. I am sure he did do it though. I love his excuse. .40 caliber was hard to come by so I bought 9mm and .45ACP to trade. During the worst part of the shortage the only ammo I could find anywhere was .40 cal. I had a few friends who bought .40 handguns so they could shoot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:19:07 PM EDT
Saw this on ct open neckbeard Facebook page. Chances are if its public......... It's pretty serious.

The west Hartford PD guy was stealing permit money for a few years, added up to 29k.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:21:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sardo_67:
Saw this on ct open neckbeard Facebook page. Chances are if its public......... It's pretty serious.

The west Hartford PD guy was stealing permit money for a few years, added up to 29k.
View Quote

Thought that was a Hartford guy too?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
Idk. I just skimmed it as I made fun of the ones getting all neckbeard kinda butthurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:01:21 AM EDT
Wasn't this the guy who IDs the STG44 years back and kept it from being melted down? Memory serves, he was a member here...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:35:08 AM EDT
Sounds more like a gun guy who wanted to play with guns while trying to get cops more ammo for training. They make it sound like this guys selling it out the back door.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:24:51 AM EDT
Sounds more like a gun guy who wanted to play with guns while trying to get cops more ammo for training. They make it sound like this guys selling it out the back door.
View Quote

It's an awful lot of ammo unaccounted for, I'm surprised they didn't execute a search warrant on his residence to looks for the missing ammo, I'm sure now it's long gone if it were there. It seems clear he was a gun guy, and he probably did trade some of it around, but I'm betting some of it went home with him and friends too and that's what's getting him hammered now. Guess time and the investigation will tell.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:12:12 AM EDT
I have a couple of really good friends who work for the WTBY PD and one tells me they have to purchase there own ammo to train/practice. With the on and off ammo shortage they tell me there is not too much training/practice time going on
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:12:21 AM EDT
If he truly used somewhat shady purchasing practices to buy available ammo and trade it for ammo his department needed then he should be reprimanded.

If any of the ammo went home with him or others then he stole and should be punished accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:17:38 AM EDT
I've heard talk in the past that some officers are allotted X amount of practice ammo per X amount of time. So they can get the ammo and shoot it, or put it in a range bag and drive home. I wouldn't think the process is micro managed. Like trading spent brass for new ammo or anything.

Its what I figured this case was as first glance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
Ok guys, I think we all know what happened here. The PD was stocking up on ammo for the gov take-over martial law and upcoming Jade Helm stuff but this guy was neckbearding it and messed up the secret plans. Now 'they' are mad at him and will be sending him to GITMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:14:51 PM EDT
They are redoing the train tracks for the FEMA trains.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:59:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Toadyrock:
They are redoing the train tracks for the FEMA trains.
View Quote

Only a fool would think they'll do it by train again. . . . .

. . . . This time they are on the FastTrack.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 19Cohiba75:
I have a couple of really good friends who work for the WTBY PD and one tells me they have to purchase there own ammo to train/practice. With the on and off ammo shortage they tell me there is not too much training/practice time going on
View Quote
Yeah I've had some friends say they have that, as well as when they show up for their year qualification a good number of officers duty guns FTF or light strike because they haven't been cleaned or fired in a year, let alone practice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:57:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Yeah I've had some friends say they have that, as well as when they show up for their year qualification a good number of officers duty guns FTF or light strike because they haven't been cleaned or fired in a year, let alone practice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Originally Posted By 19Cohiba75:

Heard the same thing from them !!! I get more training up at High Rock punching holes in paper than most do in their carreer in the PD !!!! That is scary right there !!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:02:05 AM EDT
I know a State trooper who hates guns and only shoots his as required. Seems kinda strange to me that you do not want to be an expert at one of the tools of your job. Especially one of the tools that can save your life and if out of your control will end your life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:17:17 AM EDT
Crabtree had accumulated an outstanding balance of $186,000, according to the audit.

He's been in charge of purchasing all firearms too, you're talking about 300 to 400 service pistols. When they went to the M&P do you think maybe somebody at S&W helped grease some wheels?

Ammo is the small stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:12:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Me-ConnSM:
Crabtree had accumulated an outstanding balance of $186,000, according to the audit.

He's been in charge of purchasing all firearms too, you're talking about 300 to 400 service pistols. When they went to the M&P do you think maybe somebody at S&W helped grease some wheels?

Ammo is the small stuff.
View Quote

It's use it or lose it money for the pistols. They got state or fed funding to buy them so they bought them. I'm not sure what goes into deciding on what pistol to issue thought.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:22:45 AM EDT

Ammo is the small stuff.
View Quote

Hartford's previous duty gun was a Smith. And, considering the debacle with the Africa sting, I doubt that anybody from Smith was interested in playing dirty games to win a domestic contract.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:53:05 AM EDT
I don't know enough about it but the whole thing stinks to me. He says he bought the .45 and 9mm ammo to trade for .40 - thats ass backwards in my opinion.

Firstly, they had NO .45 or 9mm guns. Red flag #1

Red flag #2 - Even if we go back to the heart of the panic, when the trade excuse would have made sense; 9mm was no where to be found, but there was .40 everywhere I looked.

I don't recall a .40 shortage in the slightest.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:09:18 AM EDT
For a short time a hundred years ago I was responsible for order inventory and supplies for a supply house I worked at. This job taught me the many purchasing agents are dirty.

I was offered TV sets, electric drills, Disney tickets, hotels, airfare vouchers and restaurant gift certificates if I would buy stuff from XYZ vendor. The gifts would be sent to my home. I told the bosses about it and what was being offered. They told me to do what I thought was right.

A few times I bought stuff from the vendor with the best price. When they offered to send a "thank you" to my house I made them send it to work. Then I gave it to the business owners. They gave them to the employees. I never took anything. I let the warehouse guys have the stuff.

I am not going to lose a job over some "free" crap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:56:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
For a short time a hundred years ago I was responsible for order inventory and supplies for a supply house I worked at. This job taught me the many purchasing agents are dirty.

I was offered TV sets, electric drills, Disney tickets, hotels, airfare vouchers and restaurant gift certificates if I would buy stuff from XYZ vendor. The gifts would be sent to my home. I told the bosses about it and what was being offered. They told me to do what I thought was right.

A few times I bought stuff from the vendor with the best price. When they offered to send a "thank you" to my house I made them send it to work. Then I gave it to the business owners. They gave them to the employees. I never took anything. I let the warehouse guys have the stuff.

View Quote
You got that integrity friend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:27:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JAD:

Hartford's previous duty gun was a Smith. And, considering the debacle with the Africa sting, I doubt that anybody from Smith was interested in playing dirty games to win a domestic contract.

View All Quotes

Ammo is the small stuff.

Africa?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:14:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:
I don't know enough about it but the whole thing stinks to me. He says he bought the .45 and 9mm ammo to trade for .40 - thats ass backwards in my opinion.

Firstly, they had NO .45 or 9mm guns. Red flag #1

Red flag #2 - Even if we go back to the heart of the panic, when the trade excuse would have made sense; 9mm was no where to be found, but there was .40 everywhere I looked.

I don't recall a .40 shortage in the slightest.
View Quote

I do
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:15:52 PM EDT

Africa?
View All Quotes

Ammo is the small stuff.

Africa?

Several years ago, DOJ performed a sting operation against numerous defense industry firms. Agents posed as representatives from an African government seeking various defense articles. During the process of negotiating the contract, the "government representatives" requested what amounted to kickbacks in exchange for the award of contracts. An executive from of Smith and Wesson agreed to the deal. He along with representatives of several other defense industry firms who agreed to the kickbacks ("commission" agreement) were indicted on charges related to bribes to agents of foreign governments by US nationals. Eventually DOJ dropped the charges against the defense industry representatives charged resultant to the sting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/smith-wesson-exec-indicte_b_448160.html
http://www.fcpablog.com/blog/2014/6/23/doj-declination-for-smith-wesson-sec-settlement-close.html#
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:53:59 PM EDT
Sounds more like entrapment than a real sting operation.

Similar to all the nucular black market in the 90s from Russian scientist.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:19:53 PM EDT

View Quote

Believe it or not, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:37:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By edgephoto:

View Quote

This used to happen to me all the time in the ad business. Our policy was to send it back. Event tickets that we received were given to clients.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:49:20 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Oh I definitely believe you. I'm always right.

That also interesting to hear, think think charges were dropped due to a shitty case from the gov or more back door dealing?
Chances are when you dangle low hanging fruit in front of your average person they'll take it or at least attempt to. Not to mention what does out gov have to do with international contracts?
Top Top