Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 4:28:56 PM EDT
Anyone here living in Harris County had and SBR signed off by the CLEO? Is it possible, what route did you goto to get the sbr?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Benelli entry gun (14") but I use a LLc to get all my NFA goodies.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
With the llc route how much do you pay a year? And how do you keep the LLC active?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
LLC. pay like $225 and a six pack of beer to SC-Texas and he'll file it for ya
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Be careful volunteering others when it comes to professional services. This is a BIG no-no with many of us who are self-employed.

SC-Texas is a good personal friend, and also is my attorney. If you are not comfortable setting up the LLC on your own, I am sure he can do it for a very reasonable rate.

You may want to contact Major Juan Jorge at the HCSO's Technical Services Bureau about a signoff. Main # is 713-221-6000 if I remember correctly. I recently heard of some SBR signoff's getting approved.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]
i CHARGE A LITTLE MORE THAN THAT FOR MY TIME.  

Sorry for the caps, I was preparing an answer to a lawsuit.

Send me an email if you wnat to set up an LLC.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

strike 2...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

strike 2...

Now that's a good one
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
With the llc route how much do you pay a year? And how do you keep the LLC active?

You just have to file tax returns with Texas that say you made no profits for the year( assuming that's true). If that is the case then there is no money required to keep the LLC current in Texas.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

strike 2...

Not.  

He was joking.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

There is a $200 one time fee and no annual fees.  However you may have to use a search to determine if your requested name has been taken already and that may possibly cost more.  You will recieve quarterly tax forms for a year I believe and after that annual forms.  All you have to do is fill out your forms each year to keep your LLC active.  No money.  For this reason I think personal sign offs are a joke.  With an LLC you can designate who can posess the NFA items like family, spouse etc.  This cant be done with personal NFA items so your wife or parent becomes a criminal if you forget you left your SBR in the trunk etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
DevL nailed it!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm torn between what I want. SBR yugo krinkov or..... sbr hk94 clone. I plan on setting up an LLC hopefully next year........
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Be careful volunteering others when it comes to professional services. This is a BIG no-no with many of us who are self-employed.

SC-Texas is a good personal friend, and also is my attorney. If you are not comfortable setting up the LLC on your own, I am sure he can do it for a very reasonable rate.

You may want to contact Major Juan Jorge at the HCSO's Technical Services Bureau about a signoff. Main # is 713-221-6000 if I remember correctly. I recently heard of some SBR signoff's getting approved.

Major Juan Jorge is #7 at HCSO.  Dont personally know him but he is definatly high up there.  I might inquire later on about getting suppressors signed off.  Otherwise I'll be seing my good budy SC-Texas    and after that i'll be seeing my other good buddy NFAInvestments for a suppressor or two.     After all I like doing buisness by word of mouth rather than some big company I dont know.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
my understanding was that buy and large, it was an act of God practially to get a CLEO signoff in Harris County.  that being said, there are a few persons who may sign, but probably not for just anyone who calls or contacts them.

i know an attorney out there (not SC) who is a J.P. in Harris County and is a big NFA nut.  he was a district court judge (as in...he could give you a CLEO signoff) but went back into private practice, hence, he can only be a J.P. now.  since he's now a J.P. he can't sign off but certainly knows people who can sign off.

i think he told me that he would refer people but on a very VERY limited basis and only if he knew that person.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
my understanding was that buy and large, it was an act of God practially to get a CLEO signoff in Harris County.  that being said, there are a few persons who may sign, but probably not for just anyone who calls or contacts them.

i know an attorney out there (not SC) who is a J.P. in Harris County and is a big NFA nut.  he was a district court judge (as in...he could give you a CLEO signoff) but went back into private practice, hence, he can only be a J.P. now.  since he's now a J.P. he can't sign off but certainly knows people who can sign off.

i think he told me that he would refer people but on a very VERY limited basis and only if he knew that person.

yourself, me, and him need to have a meeting.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok so what do I need to do after I get my LLC?  Just go and buy what I want? Can’t be that simple?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yourself, me, and him need to have a meeting.  

hee hee

you know how i met him?  he was at a gun show in Conroe trying to buy the metal folding stock off my Glock 18.  i told him repeatedly it was not for sale.  he gave me his card and told me who he was.  then i said, "hmm.....okay....i'll sell it to you."
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok so what do I need to do after I get my LLC?  Just go and buy what I want? Can’t be that simple?

Nope, not that easy.  But not that bad, either.  Once you have a signoff/LLC you need to work with your selected Class 3 dealer to get the form filled out, another check written, and off to the ATF for review.  Once you're golden with ATF you get your stamped form back and the NFA toy store gives you your stuff.  You put the original form in a safe place and keep copies with your gear to show to official parties who may be disturbed by your full auto, short barrelled, or suppressed hobby.

Alpine

Edited to fix my double quote.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It is

All my NFA items have been purchased on my LLC (I'm in Houston) and the ATF turnaround is usually a month.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
TAG
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag +1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I had major Juan Jorge sign off an SBR for my Vector V-53LS.

I just called around until I found out who did the NFA sign offs and that's how I found him. I told his secretary what I was wanting to do and she set up the meeting. I brought all my paper work completed on my end and a picture of the rifle(picture wasn't requested). They typed up the rest and did my finger prints. No charge for the meeting or finger prints. You will need money for parking. He's all business just so you know. He likes to bird hunt from what he told me. He gave no indication that he has any NFA weapons of his own.

I was told that he will not sign off ANY suppressors period. SBR's are OK as long as you don't live in Houston proper (I live in Katy-Harris county), SMG's were a maybe.

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I just called around until I found out who did the NFA sign offs and that's how I found him. I told his secretary what I was wanting to do and she set up the meeting. I brought all my paper work completed on my end and a picture of the rifle(picture wasn't requested). They typed up the rest and did my finger prints. No charge for the meeting or finger prints. You will need money for parking. He's all business just so you know. He likes to bird hunt from what he told me. He gave no indication that he has any NFA weapons of his own.

I was told that he will not sign off ANY suppressors period. SBR's are OK as long as you don't live in Houston proper (I live in Katy-Harris county), SMG's were a maybe.

I hope that helps.

I guess you didn't see my post in this thread where I gave Juan Jorge's name and main telephone number... Might have saved you some time...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope that helps.

I guess you didn't see my post in this thread where I gave Juan Jorge's name and main telephone number... Might have saved you some time...

So sorry for providing additional info
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]

So sorry for providing additional info

Appology accepted...

BTW, your information was good to have. I verbally passed it on to a couple of customers this morning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
LLC sounds like the way to go.  Out of curiosity, why would anyone NOT go the corporate route?  I guess it is an extra $200, but it seems to me that if you have the money for NFA items an extra $200 isn't a huge deal?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
LLC sounds like the way to go.  Out of curiosity, why would anyone NOT go the corporate route?  I guess it is an extra $200, but it seems to me that if you have the money for NFA items an extra $200 isn't a huge deal?

LLC means easier to acwuire, less waiting time, less headaches.  Signoff route means no future paperwork or hastles.

If you can get a signoff, it is a better route. If not, the LLC has some big perks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Signoff route means no future paperwork or hastles.

Would you please clarify this for me?  Are you talking corporate paperwork or additional paperwork related to the NFA?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Signoff route means no future paperwork or hastles.

Would you please clarify this for me?  Are you talking corporate paperwork or additional paperwork related to the NFA?  

With a signoff, paperwork necessary to keep your toys until you die as long as you remain inside the same state.  If you move interstate (or want to be able to travel interstate with most NFA weapons), you will need prior approval from ATF for both Corp or Signoff routtes. If you go corp, you will need to file annual franchise tax returns and one other simple filing; both are no-brainers.

As an individual, your heirs can inherit your NFA toys tax free on a form 5. If you die with a LLC, generally there is a $200.00 transfer due to whomever the weapon goes to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you die with a LLC, generally there is a $200.00 transfer due to whomever the weapon goes to.

Why couldn't your heir just inherit the the LLC (and all company assets)?  There's no transfer tax on transferring corporate shares (at least from taxes the BATF is concerned about).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Is it hard to move to a different state and maintain an LLC in your original state?  Do you have to have an instate address to maintain an LLC?

Thnx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top