Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
When a firearm expires and is no longer able to be sold or manufactured, can it still be owned if all ready in your possession?  
One would think the answer to this would be in the FAQ...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The roster only applies to new pistols sold in ca. Once it drops off the roster it can't be sold new in ca. If you own on it is still yours and you can sell it to another private party in ca. If you move to the state you can bring off roster pistols with you but they have to be registered within a certain amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, that is much better than I had thought.  So pistols added to the roster have a finite number of years (thus the expiration date) until they must be added again?  This must be about control and $$$.  
I heard that S&W and Colt have decided not to re apply to the roster.  Does anyone know if this is true?

And does the manufacturer have to apply, or can a third party do so?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The application process involves submission of many test samples so the DOJ or their designees can check for compliance.  I have no idea if it has to be the manufacturer to submit, it probably is, but it is potentially expensive for an individual.  Many samples of each derivative of the weapon and they probably have to pay for testing costs.

eta Every variant has to be submitted for testing.  I haven't looked in a while but I seem to remember that the roster has several examples of seemingly identical weapons except for insignificant details such as finish or color.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  They will have that state subjugated in no time!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
There are no Colt's on the roster now and there are only a few S&W semi-auto's. The S&W Revolvers are doing OK though. Granted they all have that strip lock on them. Im not sure what the future of S&W is pertaining to the roster. It's my understanding that NO semi-auto's can be added to the roster unless they have "micro-Stamping".
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]
let them all drop off, and then Sue the shit out of the state of CA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top