Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 5:56:36 AM EDT
I keep a set of handcuffs in the house, just in case they are needed.  I know the danger of putting them on a perp, but at least they are available if need be.

I keep one of the two keys with the set, and another is on my keychain at all times.  Just in case my kid puts them on and loses the key.  Is it legal for me to carry it around with me?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use flexcuffs.  No keys to deal with.  For the amount your likely to use the things it's not apt to be all that expensive.  carry two pair in my "oh shit" bag in the trunk, have 6 sets at home.

Personally i'd be apt to hold at gunpoint unless i had a second person who could safely apply the restraints while i held cover.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't carry them with me, they are for home use only.  I just keep it on the keychain so I never lose it.

I would never attempt it unless my wife was covering the perp, and then ONLY IF he fit a certain profile... such as a teen burglar caught in the act.  Case by case basis, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't carry them with me, they are for home use only.  I just keep it on the keychain so I never lose it.

I would never attempt it unless my wife was covering the perp, and then ONLY IF he fit a certain profile... such as a teen burglar caught in the act.  Case by case basis, I guess.

Why not just use some masking tape and tape the key to the cuffs?  The short of it is i don't think it's illegal, but it may raise suspicion with the police.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My Dad has had a cuff key on his key chain for more than 50 years. My brother went to Graterford for a bit. The family would go out and visit once a month. Dad never thought a thing about it when he threw his keys up on the counter when we were searched going in. We had been in at least a half a dozen times before one of the officers actually looked at the ring and saw the cuff key. All they did was hold the keys till we came out. Then they returned them and politely requested he leave the cuff key home next visit.

From that experience, I assume they are legal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
No law against having a cuff key, or cuffs for that matter. You'd be surprised how many bad guys have cuff keys  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top