Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 9:46:30 AM EDT
Anyone near St. Louis with a decent hammer drill I can borrow? I need to drill (3.5) 1/2" x 3" holes in my basement to anchor a safe. I bought a Harbor Freight hammer drill hoping it would last through the job and it started throwing sparks and smoking about 1" into the first hole... My current options are drop $100+ on a decent drill and then try to unload it on Craigslist (but there are several listed already so I'm not sure how successful this plan will be) or rent one from Home Depot but I'm not sure whether their drills can handle a 1/2" hole in cement.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Home Depot or Lowes may rent them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Home Depot Rental has Makita Hammer Drills. Rent is CHEAP I would say buy a new bit their rental bits are sketchy...
I used one with a 5/8 bit to bore into a pre-cast concrete beam. with one of their decrepit bits...

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Sunbelt Rentals.  Best place for tools I have ever come across.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it back to harbor freight -- free exchange for 30 days
Sounds like you just got a bad one
I have had one and drilled over 30 holes in concrete to set fence railing
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in STL? Ever get out near Wentzville?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Use an sds drill, much better than a regular hammer drill. Where abouts in St Louis are you?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
A 1/2" hole shouldn't be a challenge for even a cheap battery hammer drill.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few able to handle this np... I live ballwin area
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If it doesn't work out pm me, I have 2 sds bosch drills in my garage that still drill, just not fast enough to keep in my fleet. I never threw them away. You can have one, I have 5 more on the trucks. I am sure I have some older 1/2" bits as well. I am in Warrenton but I am in Wentzville often, sometimes St. Charles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a big difference between a "hammer drill" and a "rotary hammer" when it comes to drilling concrete. A rotary hammer will make quick work of drilling your holes IF you aren't hitting steel wire mesh or rebar that is within your hole location. If so you may have to move to a different spot to miss the steel. If near Eureka area I can loan you the proper tool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like I should've gotten the $72 SDS+ rotary hammer instead of the $32 hammer drill... I have a Bosch 1/2" SDS bit from HD. While I was there I looked into renting a hammer drill but all they had were 4.5 amp drills like I (mistakenly) bought from harbor freight. Those are probably okay for smaller holes, but a 1/2" hole is not small. I didn't hear any squealing or see metal shavings to indicate I hit rebar and all the dust was cement dust, I guess the drill just bit the dust.

Sunbelt rentals has hammer drills in Springfield and Champaign...

Work is getting nuts again so I don't see any time to deal with this for a couple weeks. Thanks for all the help, I'll drop back in here when I have a chance to take you guys up on your offer to help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
AS I SAID ---- TAKE IT BACK FOR AN EXCHANGE
You have 30 days

Do not start with 1/2"

Drill 1/4" then 1/2"
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I was able to get the safe anchored with a neighbor's SDS+ drill, which worked amazingly well - as many of you suggested.

I've got (21) 1/2" x 4-1/2" Redhead anchors and a 1/2" x 12" Dewalt SDS bit that I don't need. IM me if you're in STL and interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top